PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw advice

Dave Dionne
10-09-2004, 9:01 PM
Hey All
I need a bit of your wisdom and advice. I have the chance to upgrade my table saw. Right now I have the Ryobi BT3000 which is a love or hate table saw. I like it :confused: but am ready for a little more power and easier saw to buy accessories for. I am looking at the Powermatic 64S contractors saw Left tilt. I have 230 in garage already so it will have a dedicated line.

It only has stamped tables, I would prefer the cast tables and I can add them on later for $90 when I can afford them but my shop is unheated and no air conditioner so less for oxidation also. If I wait to be able to afford a cabinet saw it will be at least another yr.

Right now I build small cabinets and other small sheet goods projects, getting in to building light houses for a few people. Prefer Shaker clocks and such.

Anyone familiar with the Microglide fence that is on this saw? Is it accurate? Does it hold it's adjustment?

Opinions of this model saw would be greatly apprecciated also advice on what you think I should do.

Thanks Dave

PS Saw also comes with a free mobile base and freud blade.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-09-2004, 9:13 PM
You would have a hard time beating that deal. It's a nice price for a good saw.

Dave Dionne
10-09-2004, 9:24 PM
Thanks for the input Kelly, I would really love to get a cabinet saw, but I am just happy that I can upgrade at all. Would love to add a little bit of gold into my garage. I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing, money is tight so for us it is a big investment.

Thanks again Dave

Bob Smalser
10-09-2004, 9:30 PM
Look up General of Canada...old-time castings of high quality and durability, and a number of models.

Charles McKinley
10-09-2004, 9:38 PM
Hi Dave,

How much is the PM 64S saw?

If you have the room for it and you are going to stay with woodworking I would go for the cabinet saw. Search for a used one in the mean time. Unless this is a business, the tax breaks make new very appealing. There is another thread that goes on for 4 or 5 pages about the cabinet vs contractors saw.

Are you thinking of upgrading your saw for the clocks you like to build or for sheet goods cutting for the light houses? If it is for the large sheet goods I wolud seriously look at a saw guide system like the festool or the other saw guide.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-09-2004, 9:44 PM
I started out with a contractors saw and I loved it for over two years. Seeing the price of the 64S ($649) made me know that a cabinet saw isn't in the budget for you as things stand now. I had to wait 5 years for mine so I understand completely. You will be upgrading from what you have for sure. I do recommend the solid wings, but you've already got that on the schedule. With the free mobile base and blade you are getting a great deal.

Dave Dionne
10-09-2004, 9:47 PM
The saw is $650 with mobile base and blade, and I really can't spend a penny more.

For the panel work I am building a tilt out panel system for my wall I think from Wood mag. Was looking at the Festool plunge saw today that will be for next summers buy list.

I am lucky that my wife supports my woodworking habit, it keeps me at home instead of on the trout water all the time. Now I wait until tides are right and chase after stripers at night instead.

Thanks for the advice Dave

Jim Becker
10-09-2004, 9:50 PM
It's a good saw, Dave, and that's a nice price, especially because it includes the mobile base and a blade.

scott spencer
10-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi Dave - Powermatic makes some nice machines, and I'm sure that saw will serve you well. The Microglide fence is standard equipment on the Jet Supersaw hybrid.

As an alternative if you're not opposed to mail order, I think the Grizzly 0444Z may offer more saw for the money. It's $525 ($600 delivered), and comes with 2 cast iron wings, cast iron miter gauge w/adjustable bar, 2HP motor, a dust tray, dado insert, and a Biesemeyer style fence that's along the lines of what's on the PM64a. The fence is a bit more robust than the MG. All in all the saw has been getting alot of favorable comments from users.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0444Z

Kelly C. Hanna
10-09-2004, 10:47 PM
I thought about that too, but he's getting a free mobile base and a blade as well. Of course the Griz does have a 2hp motor...:D

Jim Becker
10-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Of course the Griz does have a 2hp motor...
I'm wondering what the amperage draw of that Grizz really is. "Real" 2hp should be close to 20amps and normally that would require you to put in a special 30a 120v circuit...

Matt Allan
10-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Too bad you don't live in my area. I could have made you a deal on my 64A. I plan on selling it when I move shortly, upgrading saws drastically I hope and figure when I move would be the best time, one less heavy thing to move to a new house.

64A was my first saw and I knew nothing going in. Have to say it did a good job, did everything I needed it to do. Overall very pleased with it. Have just enjoyed woodworking more than I thought and am doing it more often that I expected, feel it's time for a more powerful saw.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-10-2004, 1:46 AM
I wondered about that too, but the owner's manual for my Griz 1023 says 18 amps (and it's rated at 3hp @ 240v). Either way, I love the power of my 1023 and there's no substitute for HP!!

Dave Dionne
10-10-2004, 7:02 AM
and there's no substitute for HP!!
Okay Kelly your killing me here, :) I have built to many BB Chevys with that same thought in mind and now I am wondring how a saw would perform with a 468cid full roller induction, blown big block for power :D it would never stall on a heavy cut.

Thanks everybody for your input it is much needed and apprecciated.

Dave

Rob Russell
10-10-2004, 7:21 AM
Dave,

I'm going to offer a different perspective.

I think you should wait and get the cabinet saw you really want.

You have stated that you want a cabinet saw, but don't have the money right now. As someone who's gone through the saw upgrade route (and probably to a degree that you won't), I'd ask you to consider a few points.

Every time you upgrade, you lose money. If money is tight, can you really afford to throw away the depreciation of the mid-level saw until you get the cabinet saw? The contractors saw will depreciate more than a cabinet saw would.
Power can always be upgraded, but the dust collection on a cabinet saw will be better than on a contractor saw and the trunions are designed for more accurate work. Will you really be "happy" settling for the 64S when you want a 66?
There are ways to get your cabinet saw faster. For Christmas (the "holidays" if you're Jewish), tell people you're starting a "Saw Fund" and would like contributions instead of other presents. If you or your family feel awkward knowing how much people give you, have them give the money to your wife and you just find out the total sum from her. I did that with a Little Giant ladder I wanted/needed (although folks just gave me the $ directly). The fund paid for more than half of the ladder.

I'm definitely an "I want it now sort of guy", but have had to learn a bit about prioritizing where money is spent (haven't we all?). I'd would just suggest that you seriously reconsider saving your money for another year (maybe less if you go the fund route) and going straight to the saw you really want instead of settling for something less and then upgrading again. One element of the upgrade path that people typically don't consider is the time/hassle/cost (ads, etc.) of selling machinery. It does take time, and unless you're going to take less than you really want, the haggling thing might not be something you really like to deal with. Another element is whether you can stand working with the BT3000 for the extra year or whatever time it takes to get the saw you really want.

Just my opinion.

Best of luck with whatever saw you decide to go with!

Rob

Bart Leetch
10-10-2004, 7:28 AM
Hi Dave - Powermatic makes some nice machines, and I'm sure that saw will serve you well. The Microglide fence is standard equipment on the Jet Supersaw hybrid.

As an alternative if you're not opposed to mail order, I think the Grizzly 0444Z may offer more saw for the money. It's $525 ($600 delivered), and comes with 2 cast iron wings, cast iron miter gauge w/adjustable bar, 2HP motor, a dust tray, dado insert, and a Biesemeyer style fence that's along the lines of what's on the PM64a. The fence is a bit more robust than the MG. All in all the saw has been getting alot of favorable comments from users.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0444Z

I thought he was looking to purchase a left tilt the Griz is a right tilt.

Tim Morton
10-10-2004, 7:28 AM
As one who owns a really nice Delta Contractor saw, and has had a chance to use a Grizzly Cabinet saw recently, save for the cabinet saw. For a couple hundred bucks extra you can own the Grizzly!!!! it may seem like an impossibility now...but it can be done!!!!

Bart Leetch
10-10-2004, 7:45 AM
Another thing is it isn't much of a stretch to the Grizzly G1023SL left tilt cabinet saw at $895 + $75 shipping + the cost of a base. I'd make a guide & use my circular saw to break down sheet goods & grit my teeth & wait. As I understand it the rail on the G1023SL can be moved to the right to make is cut up to 30" or maybe more. At least thats what I've been told at Grizzly in Bellingham. If there is any way you can hold out this is a real good saw & you won't regret having waited once you have it. I wish this saw was available when I purchased my contractors saw. Think about it real hard don't jump now & wish you had waited....:) :) :) It is a well built saw I have a friend that has the original G1023 when there was only one model & its a great saw, he put a Biesemeyer fence on it because at that time the saw came with a fence that are not of the caliber that come on the Grizzly saws today. :D

Kelly C. Hanna
10-10-2004, 8:12 AM
Hey now that's an idea! Boy you'd better get ear protection though and man woud that be a heavy saw! Only problem I see besides exhaust concerns is VIBRATION!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Dave Dionne
10-10-2004, 1:11 PM
Well now I am thinking that I should wait for next summer and do the Grizzley Cabinet saw instead.

Thanks for all of your advice

Dave

Kelly C. Hanna
10-10-2004, 2:18 PM
I just got my 1023s and sliding table all set up and I LOVE IT! I am so glad my wife decided to pull the trigger for me for our 7th anniversary. She knew I had been waiting forever to get one. You would definitely be happy with this saw...it cuts Red Oak like butter and Pine goes through as fast as you can push it.