PDA

View Full Version : spokeshave sharpening

Joel Goodman
12-20-2009, 2:54 PM
I just picked up a #53 spokeshave (stealth gloat). Is the LV small blade holder useful for holding the blade to sharpen? What's the best way to sharpen this blade? I need to do some work on the bevel and then hone it. I don't have a grinder and will just use a coarse DMT or sandpaper on glass to regrind the bevel and then hone on waterstones. I have a LV honing guide. Thanks!

Dave Matson
12-20-2009, 8:36 PM
I saw a tip once in a magazine (may have been FWW) that suggested clamping small blades between a normal iron and chipbreaker, and then mounting the assembly into the honing guide. Might work.

PADDY HEALEY
12-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Joel, the LV small blade thing works for me. Paddy

Chuck Nickerson
12-21-2009, 12:58 PM
The small blade holder works perfectly in the Veritas Mk I. In the Mk II it works fine in carriage positions 1 and 2. But in position #3, the steepest, it rubs against the wheel. Position #3 is the only one that will let you refresh the 45* angle on a short blade, like their new small scraper. I've tried sending word back to LV with their tradeshow crew that a thinner small blade holder is needed. We'll see what happens.

Larry Marshall
12-21-2009, 1:30 PM
It's not THAT hard to sharpen spokeshave blades without jigs. That's how I do mine.

Cheers --- Larry

Josh Bowman
12-21-2009, 2:00 PM
I took a couple of pieces of scrap metal to clamp my 1st try at it. It worked ok. Then I took piece of metal and drilled/tapped for a small piece to clamp it so my veritas jig could work. It still needs some refinement, but I'm on the right track.

Matt Rogers
12-22-2009, 4:01 PM
I used the "Josh Bowman Method" too. I had a scrap piece of metal, I think it was a garage door track bracket. It fit perfectly into my honing guide, and I bolted the spokeshave blade to it, set the angle and away I went....

--Matt Rogers

Joel Goodman
12-22-2009, 4:09 PM
Thanks for all the help. I think I'll try the home brew method mentioned with a piece of scrap metal and a machine screw and wing nut. I'm assuming 25 or 30 degrees for the bevel -- any advice on that?