PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Number Bed...

Greg Cuetara
12-20-2009, 2:22 PM
I started a thread a few weeks ago regarding mattresses. It seemed that a lot of people have the sleep number bed and are happy with it.

I brought my wife into the store last night and we really like the whole idea of the glorified air mattress.

After doing some more research I found out that existing owners get 10%/15%/20% off coupons they can pass onto family or friends and if the family or friend uses the coupon the owner gets a $50 referral fee.

Does anyone out there have one of these coupons they would be willing to pass my way. It can work for both of us as I would save some money and you would get a little bonus right now.

Send me a pm if you can help out.
Thanks,
Greg

Eric Franklin
12-20-2009, 4:26 PM
If I see one, I will let you know. I just haven't seen them in a while.

Pat O'malley
12-20-2009, 8:21 PM
+1 for me. When I get another I'll pm you and if you need it I will mail it your way. Pat

Tim Morton
12-21-2009, 5:36 AM
they seems to be having a 25% off sale right now...plus free financing...

http://www.selectcomfort.com/eng/specialoffers/bed_sale.cfm?lefNavId=4

They won't give you an add'l coupon off on top of that i wouldn't think.

Rich Enders
12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Better try it first.

We stayed at a hotel that had sleep number beds, and never could get comfortable in three nights.

Bob Borzelleri
12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Many of the currently available mattress makers seem to ascribe to the "one night stand" phenomenon. If it's new, feels initially better than what you are used to and appears to be willing to accommodate your every desire, then how can one go wrong? More often than not, these flings don't last for the long haul. A 30 day in home trial won't necessarily reveal how you will feel about your air mattress on the 31st day and thereafter.

An air mattress is an air mattress, in my experience. At those prices, I'd get a real mattress.

Just an opinion, YMMV.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Bob, in case anyone is curious, these are not just a vinyl air bag. It's a massive canvas type thing, with different chambers and they seem pretty doggone durable. Mine is shot because the foam strips that surround the bags have given up, nothing wrong with the bags though.

Are they the best out there? Thats your call.

Pat Germain
12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey, The Bionic Woman likes the sleep number bed. What endorsement could be better than that?

Doug Carpenter
12-21-2009, 1:50 PM
And let's not forget Rush Limbaugh! Iv'e heard him give them away to people on the show but you'll spend more time on hold than earning the money to buy one!

How about those crazy foam beds that are like $8000!

Kurt Strandberg
12-21-2009, 3:41 PM
I have had one for 11 years and have never slept better, in fact I don't sleep good anywhere else, even on a real mattress.

Just an opinion, YMMV.

Terry Achey
12-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I have the Sleep Number for about 18 months and we couldn't be happier or more comfortable. I'm a 70 and my wife is an 85. You do need to give it a week or so to acclimate yourself to the new feel.

Problem with the standard mattress is that they begin to degrade from day one.

Terry

Pat O'malley
12-22-2009, 1:02 AM
We have one for 10 years with the pillow top, still as good as new except the pillow top isn't as full as new.

Jim Becker
12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Pat, zip off the pillow top and fluff it up!

Dave Johnson29
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Problem with the standard mattress is that they begin to degrade from day one.

Brand quality would have a lot to do with that. My conventional cali-king is almost 30 years old. It is turned and flipped 4 times a year and I still get comments on what a great mattress it is to sleep on. :)

Brian Tymchak
12-22-2009, 1:00 PM
Mine is shot because the foam strips that surround the bags have given up...

Steve, how long have you had yours?

Thanks, Brian

Pat O'malley
12-22-2009, 2:02 PM
Pat, zip off the pillow top and fluff it up!

Good idea Jim I'll give it a try...

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2009, 2:54 PM
It is turned and flipped 4 times a year and I still get comments on what a great mattress it is to sleep on. :)

This almost requires more of an explanation, but if it's none of our business...... ;)

Steve knight
12-22-2009, 3:08 PM
Hey, The Bionic Woman likes the sleep number bed. What endorsement could be better than that?
she is also dead.

Dave Johnson29
12-22-2009, 3:22 PM
This almost requires more of an explanation, but if it's none of our business...... ;)

Well spotted Andrus and yes, I am single but not often alone. :D:D Guilty of a maybe not so subtle attempt at bragging, I guess. :o

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2009, 6:54 PM
Well spotted Andrus and yes, I am single but not often alone. :D:D Guilty of a maybe not so subtle attempt at bragging, I guess. :o

Well, the mods are listening. Better keep this one on the down-low....

Jim Becker
12-22-2009, 9:19 PM
Ahem..... ;)

(SN has a lot of positive attributes for, um...indoor sports...as well. :D )

Steve Rozmiarek
12-23-2009, 2:19 AM
Steve, how long have you had yours?

Thanks, Brian

Hate to bring this thread back to boring subjects, but I think I've had it for about 8 years. I guessed 6 years on the last thread, but thats wrong. My memory is fading fast! I also had to replace the compressor on it about 3 years ago. Found one on ebay for not much, and it works well. Don't get me wrong, loved the bed until recently, just time for it to be upgraded, or rebuilt, or something...

Pat O'malley
12-27-2009, 1:34 PM
PM sent to OP

Phil Thien
12-27-2009, 7:54 PM

And here I was thinking you were talking about Goldilocks.

Jon Lanier
12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
We have one for 10 years with the pillow top, still as good as new except the pillow top isn't as full as new.
along with Jim's idea. Take put in the dryer (coolest setting) and put a couple of sneakers in there with it. That will fluff it up.

Wayne Hendrix
12-29-2009, 7:33 PM
Hate to bring this thread back to boring subjects, but I think I've had it for about 8 years. I guessed 6 years on the last thread, but thats wrong. My memory is fading fast! I also had to replace the compressor on it about 3 years ago. Found one on ebay for not much, and it works well. Don't get me wrong, loved the bed until recently, just time for it to be upgraded, or rebuilt, or something...

I thought that you could replace the foam strips individually without replacing the whole mattress. One of the things I liked about the matresses when I looked at them was that they were essentially modular and damaged or worn parts could be replaced as needed. Did I misnderstand the salesman or did he feed me a line of BS?

John alder
01-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm gona go with the memory foam type so I can recall what I dream about.;)

Steve Rozmiarek
01-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I thought that you could replace the foam strips individually without replacing the whole mattress. One of the things I liked about the matresses when I looked at them was that they were essentially modular and damaged or worn parts could be replaced as needed. Did I misnderstand the salesman or did he feed me a line of BS?

Wayne, don't know how I missed your post, but what I was told is $600 for the foam from Select Comfort. Seems high to me, so I figured we'd do it ourselves. Haven't got there yet though...

Paul Ryan
01-01-2010, 3:06 PM
We have have a sleep number bed that is 11 years old and have the same problem with the side foam failing. It also has issues with my wife's side being higher than mine, even though the settings are the same. If you sleep on her side it feels like you are going to roll to the other side. We go through phazes where it is comfortable, and then not comfortable. And the warranty is really pretty worthless. 20 years but really not 20 years, more like 2 years. The 20 years warranty is really really prorated. You pay 20% plus 4% each year after the orginal 2 years. So in my case it would cost me 56% of the repair, plus I have to transport the matris. But it only covers defects in materials or workmanship. But if the foam compresses or you have a sloped bed like we do. Tough bananas, you pay for a replacement or repair.

Mitchell Andrus
01-01-2010, 4:13 PM
We have have one that is 11 years old and have the same problem

Paul... "one" what? Sleep number?

Frank Hagan
01-01-2010, 4:20 PM
We purchased one about 5 or 6 years ago, and will always buy them. I like being able to adjust the firmness depending on the condition of my back.

Because they are a standard size, you can buy any "memory foam" or latex foam mattress topper and insert it above the air chambers. For the sides and middle foam supports, just take one out and take it to a local upholstery or foam retailer and have them cut replacements for you out of the same density foam.

We bought the second from the highest level bed at the time, in a California King, and couldn't be happier. Our previous beds lasted only a few years, and none of the warranties ever covered the deep depressions that happened in the middle (and no, we didn't flip the last three mattresses because they are all one-sided now). If you are going to buy a standard mattress, don't get a pillowtop. Get a firm slab, and you might be able to make it last a few years.

We also look at the "memory foam" mattresses but they tend to be softer when its warm, and you sink in more. Might be great for cold weather areas, but LOML decided she didn't want a warmer bed!