PDA

View Full Version : Baby power feeder on a router table?

Matt Meiser
12-20-2009, 1:16 PM
I'm in the process of putting together a new router table. I came across some pictures on the web of a router table with a Grizzly "baby" power feeder and found it intriguing. I'd be afraid to mount anything bigger on a wood/MDF router table top due to weight. My use would be typical hobbiest router table stuff, the biggest being occasional raised panel projects. It would be great to power feed the molding I still need to make for my parent's kitchen.

Wondering if anyone has one and can comment? Looks like a similar/same item is sold as the Delta Versa Feeder.

Brian J McMillan
12-20-2009, 2:11 PM
Hi Matt

I have the General Brute power feed, probably the same as the Grizzly Baby. I have it mounted on my shop built router table and it works great, especially for running off large amounts of moldings.

Matt Meiser
12-20-2009, 2:37 PM
Cutting the stick cuts for doors would be similar to your use and constant feed for that would be really nice. Have you ever had an opportunity to use it for raised panels?

Brian J McMillan
12-20-2009, 2:52 PM
No I haven't Matt, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. After all it is just stock. One thing though, you would need to keep the rollers back from the trailing edge of the cut being taken. If not there will be a point where the pressure from the rollers will tip the board into the cutter and cause a big problem. Try it on scrap first.

Brian Kincaid
12-20-2009, 4:10 PM
I have the General Brute power feed, probably the same as the Grizzly Baby. I have it mounted on my shop built router table and it works great, especially for running off large amounts of moldings.

I have a small delta feeder on my router table. Works really well for rail and stile work. I don't use it on panels because my table is set up almost exactly like Brian's in the picture above (Incra and all). Almost weird that we arrived at the same solution to our fence/feeder placement. Every shaper I have seen has the feeder installed behind the fence. Would work better there but is very in the way when using an Incra fence.

I have to remove my feeder for panel work.
-Brian

David DeCristoforo
12-20-2009, 4:29 PM
Totally good idea. I've used the small Delta feeder on a RT with great success. Just be sure to mount the feeder base behind the fence!!! Many RTs are configured so that you can position the fence anywhere but if your fence rides in tracks so that there is a "front" and "back", the feeder base will be in your way much of the time if it is in front of the fence. Feeders are designed to "reach over" obstacles. But the small feeders like the Griz you mentioned and many others of similar design do not have as much ability to clear fences and such. You would be better off with one like this:

http://www.mikestools.com/36-850-Delta-Production-Stock-Feeder-Four-Speed-Three-Roller-1-4-HP-120V.aspx

Matt Meiser
12-21-2009, 9:36 AM
The fence system I'm using would allow for the rear-mounting position without a problem. I saw a similar 1/4HP feeder on Grizzly's site. But it seems like mounting 70lbs of cantilevered weight off the corner of a router table is asking for trouble. Plus its 2x the price of the small feeders.

Brian, how big is your table top? It looks like if it was in the back corner it would reach over the fence with the amount of unused arm sticking out in your picture.

Scott T Smith
12-21-2009, 1:11 PM
Matt, I used to use a baby power feeder on a 3 hp shaper with a router bit adapter. Very similar to a router table, and it worked fine.

As David recommends, it was mounted behind the fence.

The only problems that I ever had with it was when several months would go by without my using it... and I'd forget how to turn it on and off! (pulling the speed selector knob out).

Brian J McMillan
12-21-2009, 5:17 PM
[QUOTE=Matt Meiser;1288885

Brian, how big is your table top? It looks like if it was in the back corner it would reach over the fence with the amount of unused arm sticking out in your picture.[/QUOTE]

Matt the table top is 30" x 25" deep. I didn't mount it behind the fence as I quite often use the fence pulled well back and the Ls positioner is the 25" model and to mount it on this table I had to add quite a long extension. The router table is on wheels and with a power feed mounted at the rear the whole shebang would tip over. I am planning on building another table fairly soon as I have 2 pc 7518 routers and will dedicate this one to power fed moldings.