PDA

View Full Version : Fired the week of Christmas

keith ouellette
12-20-2009, 10:44 AM
It was only one account but money was pretty tight already. I do lawn maintenance and one of my accounts is a church. I wanted to get its grounds done and lot swept before their sunday service because Christmas is on friday. Wed and thurs it rained all day and most of friday. I went there twice on saturday but both times quite a few cars were parked on the grass so I went there early today before everyone started showing up so I could mow and sweep. I did the front area and swept the lot so I wouldn't be in the way as the minister and others showed up early and was going to move to the back when someone came out of the church. There was only one car in the lot other than mine. It was one of the administrators.

He walked up to me talking and I excused myself saying I couldn't understand him because I was wearing earplugs. He stopped and waited as I I took them out and he says

"I'm going to have to see about your check for this month because we're going in house with it for now on!" is all he said.

"I'm sorry. I don't understand what that means." I replied. I was actually thinking they were going to pay me in a different manner. I had no clue.

In a very cold, rude, matter of fact voice he says
"I'T MEANS YOU DON'T GET ANY MORE MONEY. WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE ANY MORE!"

that was exactly how he put it. No 'I'm sorry to have to tell you...' or 'I hate to have to do this now....'

They couldn't even wait till the week or day after Christmas. I've been working there for years and have not gotten one complaint or any type of direction.

Ands what's funny is when I took the account I didn't even want it. It was back when everyone in this area had a job and they couldn't find anyone who wasn't intent on charging an arm and a leg, thats what I was told. The whole place was full of sand spurs and they would be all over me when I was done and I didn't want that dumpy account but got talked into it and now that I really need it some reptile crawls out of a hole and fires me.

So the next place I go my mower breaks down so I have to go home and face my wife and hope I can pretend everything is ok so I don't worry her over Christmas, which she has to work on anyway, the way this church did to me because I just realized everything isn't going to be ok the way I've been telling her.

I feel like an idiot trying to buy used tools and tools on sale hoping someday I can teach myself to make a bookcase or cabinet or door so nice that somebody would want to buy it from me. I light of this I feel very stupid in deed.

I'm not an emotional guy. I cried when my father died when I was 14 and I'm not even sure If i cried when my brother died the year earlier, we weren't close I guess, but when that reptile fired me I cried right on the spot. I think He thought it was funny as I was talking but he didn't have time for it. He just walked off. I yelled to him he should pray for some gd manners for Christmas because he really needed them.

Just felt like telling someone.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Keith,

I'm sorry to hear this..... especially at this time of year.

It almost sounds like the church is experiencing financial difficulties. A lot of businesses, organizations and yes, even churches are going through that right now.

I agree, the guy could have been a little more tactful.

My sincere sympathies!

Sean Troy
12-20-2009, 11:01 AM
It wasn't the Church that fired you, it was a person who has no social skills or is bitter for some reason. Sounds like that person is worse off than you. I would bet you that door was closed to get you ready and more time for something much better. Hang in there, it will get better, probably much better. You know you have lots of people thinking of you.

Scott T Smith
12-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Keith, that really sucks man... Sometimes all that you can do is to keep your chin up and keep swinging.

Things really do work out in the long run, but sometimes it's hard to see that when you're the one in the bind.

Sounds like it's time to start marketing your services. Perhaps you could approach the minister of the church with the following request:

1 - Ask if they terminated your services because of your performance, or because of their own cash flow challenges?

2 - presuming that it was for the latter, how about having him let their congregation know that they've had to let go of their long term landscaping contractor, and that everybody has seen the quality of work performed for years, and if anybody in the congretation needs, or knows of someone needing a great landscaper to please give you a call?

When life hands you lemons, try (and it's not always easy) to make lemonaid.

Scott

Steve Rozmiarek
12-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Keith, I feel for ya! Every bad situation opens an opportunity though, so keep your wits about you, and don't let the "reptile" get to you. I really like Scott's ideas personally, maybe there is a good way to leverage this into more work, if that's what you desire.

Pat Germain
12-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Wow, that is a really lousy situation and a lousy way to hear about it, Keith.

I think Sean and Troy have it right. A lot of churches are having to really cut back. But that's no excuse for being rude.

What's the market like in Florida right now? Are there just too many landscapers? Maybe it's time to send your resume to The Walt Disney Company. Walt Disney World needs a lot of landscapers. It's not being your own boss, but it's steady and, despite some recent labor disputes, Disney treats their workers pretty well. (Just trying to help you to consider any and all options.) :)

EDIT: FYI, Disney requires gardeners to have at least a two year degree.

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Keith, sorry to hear of the job loss and especially the manner in which it came about! I like Scott's suggestion as a way of making the best out of a bad situation. Hope an opportunity presents itself soon!

Doug Carpenter
12-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow, that blows. What a hypocrite, I'll bet he has a "wwjd" sticker on his car!

One thing I have learned in 20 years of selfemployment is that some times when you lose a job, you find out later that it was the best job you never got! One things for sure you don't want to do that job for nothing and it sounds like that is what they can pay from now on. You know as well as any self employed person that there is a fineline between selfemployed and unemplyed. The good thing is that you have the power here. Have a relaxing Christmas and go out and get a better acount to replace that one.

Unfortunately there is no accounting for A holes. He'll get his one way or another. I commend you for trying to keep your wife stress free but if you can't go to her with problems you the hell is on your side? I'll bet she will understand and sometimes a guy needs a friend.

Don't be ashamed of used tools. All of my tools are used, they may not have started that way but it's impossible to build anything without using them. If you can make a nice deal on a tool that makes you money then you are ahead of the game. The guy that is selling you the tool took the hit and didn't survive, maybe because he couldn't afford it in the first place.

My Dad used to have a saying that he said was Latin. I can't remember how the latin part went, probrably because I'm sure it was BS. But the translation was: "Don't let them get you down."
Words to live by.

I wouldn't let that loser ruin my Christmas. Now go have yourself a Merry Chrismas, Doug

Jim Hill
12-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Keith,

I offer my sympathy as well; and I agree with the comments made by others ahead of me. I especially think Scott has a good idea.

Several years ago my oldest son, who had been married 2-3 years at the time, was fired the week of Christmas. It's hard to believe that people loose their jobs during the time of year which is supposed to be full of joy and charity. Although that Christmas season was somewhat of an emotional & financial roller-coaster, he emerged stronger than ever. Today, he is still a believer in his Lord, happily married, has a child, and is working on his doctorate.

I will pray that the Lord will provide for you and your family.

Jim

Phyllis Meyer
12-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Keith,

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! I am truly sorry, and know that God does know your situation and he will provide! When a door closes, he opens a window...or...he may have a bigger and better job waiting for you!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Ted Shrader
12-20-2009, 2:28 PM
Sounds like it's time to start marketing your services. Perhaps you could approach the minister of the church with the following request:

1 - Ask if they terminated your services because of your performance, or because of their own cash flow challenges?

2 - Presuming that it was for the latter, how about having him let their congregation know that they've had to let go of their long term landscaping contractor, and that everybody has seen the quality of work performed for years, and if anybody in the congregation needs, or knows of someone needing a great landscaper to please give you a call?Keith -

Sorry to hear your bad news and of the way it was delivered. Scott has some prime suggestions. Talk to the pastor, not from a "I want my job back" standpoint but from the angle he recommends.

The timing may not be the best, but when a door closes, a window opens.

Regards,
Ted

Jim Koepke
12-20-2009, 3:10 PM
My Dad used to have a saying that he said was Latin. I can't remember how the latin part went, probrably because I'm sure it was BS. But the translation was: "Don't let the get you down."

Illegitimus non carborundum among other variants is a common "mock" latin phrase that supposedly started circulation during WWII among British officers. Or at least that is what one source claims. "Don't let them grind you down."

Maybe there internal handling will involve people who do not want to do the job as carefully. Then in a year when you are too busy to landscape their land will be covered in tall weeds.

jim

Mike Henderson
12-20-2009, 3:14 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your problems, Keith. I hope things improve for you soon.

Mike

Joe Pelonio
12-20-2009, 3:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this, and hope you find something even better soon. Unfortunately even churches are suffering from the economy, I know of a pastor that was let go, apparently so they could bring in someone younger that wouldn't be have to be paid as much. I wonder if the reason that guy was so rude about it is because he too is being let go, or perhaps had his pay cut. I have heard that other churches and even the city are reaching out to the boy scouts about eagle projects, and even the high schools for "senior projects" to get things done with free labor.

Greg Peterson
12-20-2009, 3:45 PM
Keith,

Hang in there. Indeed, somewhere a window or another door has opened and you will discover this opportunity in due time.

Belinda Barfield
12-20-2009, 4:03 PM
Keith,

I also hope things turn around for you. I am the one in my relationship that puts on the happy face and says 'all is well' when in reality sometimes I'm not sure where to turn to next. It takes a toll on you. Of course, I don't know your wife, but maybe it is time to share some of the burden with her. Not to launch into cliches, but Christmas isn't about the money (although that does take the stress off). Try to enjoy Christmas with your wife. The day after Christmas is plenty early enough to start worrying again. I know, MUCH easier said that done. I wish you the very best in the coming year.

Jim Kountz
12-20-2009, 4:05 PM
Wow thats hard to read Keith, I hope something good comes your way soon. Dont worry about the "reptile" the man upstairs will see to him.

Ed Griner
12-20-2009, 4:53 PM
Keith my suggestion would be,wait a few days and contact someone else in the church,to find out exactly why you were let go.Maybe there was a misunderstanding,its possible they just can't afford the service right now,but let them know if anything changes,that you interested in working for them in the future.Crabby people are an unfortunate part of doing business.I've been a contractor for a while and their is good and bad,luckily the good is ahead of the bad by a long shot.Keep your chin up.

Ed

Jim Rimmer
12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Keith,
Very sorry to hear what happened to you but as others have said, it may lead to better things. Just remember the story of Joseph and all the bad things that happened to him through no fault of his own (sold in to slavery by his own brothers, accused of rape though he was innocent, unjustly imprisoned) But in the end he became the most powerful man in Egypt and saved his family and nation from starvation during the famine.

For you and others who read this post, don't let the person who did this sour you on Christians in general. Who knows what was going on in his own life.

God bless you and I hope you and your wife have a great Christmas.

Doug Carpenter
12-21-2009, 7:25 AM
Illegitimus non carborundum among other variants is a common "mock" latin phrase that supposedly started circulation during WWII among British officers. Or at least that is what one source claims. "Don't let them grind you down."

Maybe there internal handling will involve people who do not want to do the job as carefully. Then in a year when you are too busy to landscape their land will be covered in tall weeds.

jim

Wow Jim,

That was what he he used to say! I guess it was BS but I am surprised it wasn't one of his originals. He was famous for his "originals"

Thanks for the memory!
Doug

Matt Meiser
12-21-2009, 8:06 AM
It sounds to me like there also could be some room for misunderstanding between you and he. You said he walked up talking but you couldn't hear him. Maybe he didn't realize you didn't hear him (even though you think you were clear about it) and he took something in your body language or actions to be a response to what he said? Or, not knowing the denomination, perhaps they found it offensive that you were working on Sunday?

I think it would be worth a phone call or in person visit to them. Maybe drop off your final invoice with your company Christmas card (even if you don't normally send out cards) early this week, apologize that it didn't work out but that you don't understand why and see what happens.

glenn bradley
12-21-2009, 8:31 AM
Horrible timing. I am very sorry to hear this. They say one door closes so that another can open. I'll hope for the best for you and yours.

Prashun Patel
12-21-2009, 8:42 AM
Keith-
I feel for you. Your story is touching...

After your justifiable anger and hurt dissipates though, I second Matt's suggestion that you confront the administrator. Even if you don't get the account back, I bet you'll feel better about the whole thing.

Mitchell Andrus
12-21-2009, 8:54 AM
At the ripe old age of 52 I've seen and heard it all, worse than your encounter. When I was being treated for cancer, there was a sign on the wall of the oncologist's office:

"Don't let them win".

So... don't let this guy get into you, under your skin or at your dinner table. Understand that this was likely a tough decision for the church elders and he probably hated to be the one to tell you. His lack of tact is his burden, not yours. The fact that you understand the difference puts you two rungs up on the ladder.

As others have said, stop in and let the Pastor know what happened and that when things get better you'd like to be considered again, even if by then you don't need the job.

Bob Borzelleri
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
In one of my many former lives, (no, I don't believe in reincarnation) I taught people how to deliver bad news. Fact is, the person who can deliver bad news appropriately on the natural is rare, indeed.

Some folks who have to deliver bad news start out and end up feeling worse than the recipient. Often, that results in an apparently less than sensitive delivery. Reminds me of the cartoon of the two guys running through the bush with a snorting rhino chasing then. One guy turns to the other as they are running and says, "He only looks angry, in fact, he is sad and his inability to deal with his sadness manifests itself in anger".

Pretty good suggestions presented here so far. I would offer this additional; setting this straight has two possible good outcomes. On one hand, you get the account back but for all the reasons that have been stated about the effects of the economy, this might be a long shot. It also has the added deficiency of being beyond your direct control.

What is well within your control is to resolve the most important outstanding question which, in my view, has little or nothing to do with the demeanor of the deliverer of the bad news. Assuming that the deliverer was not the decision maker, I would seek him/her out (the decision maker), and follow through on what many here have suggested with the goal being clarification and understanding. You have a right to know the factors involved in the decision to end a bilateral agreement and you have the right to hear that from the decision maker. One caveat here; the decision maker might be as poor a deliverer of bad news as his/her surrogate was. The fact that he/she sent a flunky to deliver the message lends a bit of support to that possibility. In any case, if you can focus on the message as opposed to their delivery, you run a fair chance of getting beyond poor communication and straight to the whys and wherefores.

It's important to remember that the vast majority of bad news is delivered in a manner that makes the underlying situation appear worse. That fact typically has nothing to do with the recipient of the bad news.

Make a reasonable shot at closure and move on. And don't let someone's shortcoming affect your Christmas. Make it a merry one for you and your wife. :)

Jim Becker
12-21-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm sad to hear about your loss of this customer, but I'm both sad and outraged at the way you apparently were treated.

I agree with Greg...look for the open door. It's there.

Phil Thien
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Tell 'em they have one more prepaid furtilizer treatment coming, then burn a "666" into the lawn.

I'm KIDDING!

I wouldn't be surprised if this administrator's SIL is going into the landscape business.

keith ouellette
12-22-2009, 8:57 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I read everything and It was all very encouraging and very helpful. It really did make me feel better to read all your posts.

Thank you again.

Just to make one thing about the situation clear because some people have thought , and would've be rightfully so to think, that it wasn't the church but this one person, or maybe it was a miss understanding of some sort.

Only two people were at the church, the administrator who fired me and their pastor. The administrator had come out of the church through the same door the pastor had gone into not separated by much time. Its not that big of a building

So I doubt the pastor didn't know

And the guy stood there and waited for me to take my ear plugs out after I said "You'll have to excuse me a second I can't hear you very well. I'm wearing ear plugs."

I did write the them a letter addressing how I was treated, the timing, and how I wasn't even told 'why?' by a person who said he didn't have time to talk to me but for some reason had plenty of time to fire me.

All in all I think you guys are right. Everything will work out ok. What bothered me is that this was the last account I thought I would loose. My wife is going to be very shocked.

I'm going to keep practicing my wood working as a finishing touch on my handy man skills (which does earn us extra money from time to time) and just keep believing things will be fine. I'm not telling my wife till after Christmas. It would bring her down too much and I don't want that.

Merry Christmas and thank you for the encouragement.

Scott Shepherd
12-22-2009, 9:18 PM
Keith, I wish you the best of luck going forward. I've had a few times where I have thought I had a great customer, and I took very good care of them, only to find out that I wasn't as important to them as I thought I was. It woke me up and caused me to look for other customers. I found other customers and now that one customer I thought was #1, is now about #20 on the list.

Just a little reminder than what you are seeing might be great news, not bad news. It might force you to go get another customer and that new customer might appreciate all the hard work you do for them and you'll end up in a far better situation.

Don't let it get to you, just work to fill that slot and you'll be fine, I have no doubt!

Mike Cruz
12-23-2009, 5:50 PM
Keith, tough news for sure. I am very sorry for you and your family. I would seriously consider speaking with the minister to let him know what transpired. As others have stated, it is likely the person that fired you that is at fault here, not the church.

That said, I have to admit that I am not a religious man. However, I do believe everyting happens for a reason; to put us on a path; a better path; one that will eventually lead to a better life. For whatever reason it happened, it happened. It may have made it hard on you for today, but in the future, you will be better off for it.

This may sound dumb, but had you not lost that contract, that day, at that time, maybe you would have gotten an injury from your mower (that seemed to fail at the next job) or gotten into an accident on the way home.

I can't tell you how many times I am rushing out of the house to get somewhere (I am not a speeder, and drive quite safely) and curse the things that were last minute that made me 5 minutes late, only to come up to a nasty accident that the police and rescue haven't even made it to yet. I then realize that those things that delayed me, may have saved me a lot of grief, or my life.

Try to find a bright side. I know it isn't easy. Try to keep in good spirits. And have as happy a Holiday as you can.

James Jaragosky
12-23-2009, 7:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this, and hope you find something even better soon. Unfortunately even churches are suffering from the economy, I know of a pastor that was let go, apparently so they could bring in someone younger that wouldn't be have to be paid as much. I wonder if the reason that guy was so rude about it is because he too is being let go, or perhaps had his pay cut. I have heard that other churches and even the city are reaching out to the boy scouts about eagle projects, and even the high schools for "senior projects" to get things done with free labor.
Or maybe the jerk got you fired so he could profit from your loss.
he or someone he knows probably got your gig.
Church members are no more moral or well mannered that the rest of the population.

God will provide.
Best wishes
Jim J.

Jon Grider
12-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Hello Keith, I'm really feeling bad for you. I'm not sure why this happened , but I do know some denominations feel very strongly about working on the Sabbath, or Sunday in this case. Perhaps a call or letter directly to the pastor would clarify the reason you were fired, I'm suspecting that it may have been perceived by them as an insult to see you doing your job on their grounds on Sunday. They may have felt they were put in a precarious position in front of their soon to be arriving members to have you seen working before church services.
The way the situation was handled was terrible, no matter what the reason was.
I think as hard as it may be, a polite contact to verify the reason they fired you would be in order, and if it was for working on Sunday, maybe a brief explanation about why you felt you had to work when you did[because of the weather] along with an apology explaining that you were unaware of the working on Sunday thing may get you a chance to get the account back.

Rick Potter
12-26-2009, 3:32 AM
So Sorry Ken,

I pray you will find a replacement account soon. Now, about those used tools. Dumb? No way. That just tells me you are smart, not spending more than you need to untill you outgrow those tools and have a better idea which ones YOU need.

The world always needs another craftsman, and the way to become one is practice, and perhaps some advice from a mentor. Check local clubs to see if you might learn through a member. Decide what you really want to build, make sure it is something people want, and start out part time.

I have a former co-worker (a real go getter) who made himself a kitchen, and in ten years has a good full time business building cabinets. He does a great job, and started out on a used Ryobi B3000 table saw. When he wore it out he moved up.

Rick Potter

Harold Burrell
12-26-2009, 4:58 PM
Keith,

I probably shouldn't say this...seeing as I am a pastor myself...but I would love to smack that guy upside his head.

Whatta jerk.

(Sorry...but I was a prison guard for 10 years before I pastored...somethings die hard.) :o

Seriously, he was wrong. Regardless if there was a "misunderstanding" or not, he should not have walked away from the situation without it being fully resolved (and that includes your understanding and well-being).

Honestly, the situation sickens me. It is little wonder so many want so little to do with church...

:mad:

I will pray for you. If you want to drive to PA, we would hire you. (Sorry...that doesn't help much...I just wish I could do something...)

Harold

BTW...something to keep in mind...it was the "religious" crowd that gave Jesus the most trouble. I'd say that puts you in pretty good company...;)

Carlos Alden
12-26-2009, 7:57 PM
Keith,

I probably shouldn't say this...seeing as I am a pastor myself...but I would love to smack that guy upside his head.

Whatta jerk.

(Sorry...but I was a prison guard for 10 years before I pastored...somethings die hard.) :o...

Wow, Harold - I'd love to hear your stories about being a prison guard and how that led you to become a pastor.

Carlos

Harold Burrell
12-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Wow, Harold - I'd love to hear your stories about being a prison guard and how that led you to become a pastor.

Carlos

If I told you, then I would have to kill you. :cool:

:p

Carlos Alden
12-27-2009, 11:31 AM
If I told you, then I would have to kill you. :cool:

:p

Snicker. No problem, got the PM.

Carlos