PDA

View Full Version : Remote for 2HP Harbor Freight DC

Josh Reet
12-20-2009, 4:01 AM
I'd like to get a remote for my HF 2HP dust collector. However, all of the 120v remotes out there that I have seen are listed as "1.5 HP and under". There are 220v remotes for 3HP+, but I don't have a 220v or a 3HP DC, so that's no help.

What are the chances of a unit like this working with the HF DC:

http://grizzly.com/products/Remote-Control-110V-75-Range/H2797

As the "Lone Ranger" looks virtually the same as far as specs, I'm guessing the answer would be the same for it as well.

Michael Erkens
12-20-2009, 8:11 AM
That's what I have plugged into mine, it's been working perfectly for two years. I would recommend it to anyone.

Christopher Pine
12-20-2009, 9:55 AM
From what I understand and this is just through the grapevine for what it is worth is this dust collector truly is not 2 hp. Not even sure what that means in regards to a dust collector? No horse I ever knew ate dust. :)
I am sure the ones for a 1.5 will probably work. I have this same collector but no remote as of yet.
Chris

Drew Loehr
12-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Same remote I use on my HF DC.

Josh Reet
12-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I have heard that as well about the 2HP being "generous". Though I don't know anyone who has done any sort of real test or comparison with another 2HP unit. In any case, it is nice to hear Michael and Drew confirm that they haven't had problems.

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll head to Grizzly tomorrow.

Stephen Edwards
12-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I bought the remote from HF that they sell to go with their DC unit. It's been in use for nearly 2 years now with no problems at all.

Bill White
12-20-2009, 2:20 PM
Just a word of reality here. THe 2 horse spec is for PEAK RATING which means right before the DC motor EXPLODES. If you've got it plugged in a 120v outlet, the 120v remote will work.
Note:
I have that same DC.
Bill

Dave Cav
12-20-2009, 3:16 PM
I've been using mine for over a year with no problems. Grizzly did have a recall on them earlier in the year. I got a letter teling me one internal part was undersized and to return it. They sent me a new one in less than a week.

Lee Bidwell
12-20-2009, 3:17 PM
I'm also using the harbor freight remote (http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=97097&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=)without issue. I think it was on sale for like 7 or 8 bucks.

Lee

Stephen Edwards
12-20-2009, 4:59 PM
I'm also using the harbor freight remote (http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=97097&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=)without issue. I think it was on sale for like 7 or 8 bucks.

Lee

Yep, That's the same one that I bought with my DC and have used for nearly two years with no issues. Thanks for posting the link.

Like the DC unit itself, it's a good value for the money.

Josh Reet
12-20-2009, 5:09 PM
Look at that, you folks just saved me $30. HF remote it is (assuming my local store has them in stock). I'll pick one up after Xmas.

Ben Martin
12-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Look at that, you folks just saved me $30. HF remote it is (assuming my local store has them in stock). I'll pick one up after Xmas.

Josh, thanks for the original post on this!

I called my HF this morning and they had one remote in stock (I think it is discontinued?) and they held it for me. Used a 20% coupon on it and the total came to $5.85, I couldn't believe it!!!

Works like a charm, the Creek saved me $50!

Stephen Edwards
12-24-2009, 9:23 AM
Josh, thanks for the original post on this!

I called my HF this morning and they had one remote in stock (I think it is discontinued?) and they held it for me. Used a 20% coupon on it and the total came to $5.85, I couldn't believe it!!!

Works like a charm, the Creek saved me $50!

Man! You made out like a bandit on that remote. IIRC I paid close to $40 when I bought mine with the DC unit a couple of years ago. Congratulations on a good score.

Don Dorn
12-24-2009, 9:38 AM
Same remote - same dust collector. Works great. I do put the motor in the OFF position when I'm done in the shop though. Seems my neighbor has something that has the ability to turn it on. Fortunately, I found it running when I went out and it couldn't have been going for more than 1/2 hour, but I don't want to take the chance.

Ben Abate
12-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Have you tried I think it is Penn State Industries/MCLS or something like that. I bought a really nice 3ph set up for my DC and it wasn't too expensive. They had a very good selection of options the last time I was on theirr site. I really think that is where I purchased it at.

Ben