PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Sliding Table Saw problem, need some help

doug faist
12-19-2009, 9:41 PM
I've had a Laguna Sliding Table Saw for about 4 years now. The thing is a beast, 850 lbs, 12" blade, built like a tank. I love the saw and am very happy with the accuracy and the ability to secure a pretty big chunk of sheet goods and slide it back and forth with two fingers. It works just like advertised, EXCEPT for one thing...

Since I started using the saw the dust collection has been mediocre at best. One slot below the blade connected to a flimsy 4" hose. No provision has been made for over-blade dust collection, however most of the dust comes from the bottom of the blade anyhow.

It would probably work OK, but the configuration of the sliding table leaves one side of the blade open so that any vacuum is absent.

Have any of you owners, and I know there are a few who frequent this forum, been able to modify the system to work any better?

I haven't contacted Laguna yet simply because I have not been that impressed with either their customer service nor their response to inquiries.

Pictures of clever solutions would be nice, suggestions are helpful, and even just sympathy would be appreciated.

I remain covered with fine dust and heavier sawdust in the meantime.

Doug

Bill Neely
12-19-2009, 10:45 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/plainolebill/Halloween09019.jpg

This is what comes with the saw - works well. Call Laguna, Rick is the parts man and I've never had any problems with them. I think the dust collection is pretty good, The only time it isn't is when I forget to close the panel enclosing the arbor after changing a blade.

Jeff Nolan
12-19-2009, 11:34 PM
I have a Minimax sliding table saw and the dust collection isn't much better, and for the reasons you stated, the blade enclosure is open on the trolley side which creates a rather large hole for the vacuum to escape.

The over the blade chip collection is moderately useful but my complaint is that it's benefit does not outweigh the hose acting as an obstacle to work around. While I am on the subject, I really don't know why these companies don't make the blade guard out of clear plastic, which would improve visibility. I hate not being able to see the blade when I am working.

In my experience the dust collection is good enough but nothing to brag about. Roughly once a month I have to don a respirator and blow out all the accumulated saw dust inside the machine... but hey it cuts like a bat out of *ell so I don't have much to complain about. :)

Steve Rozmiarek
12-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Dang, you guys are making me love my Felder even more! I wonder if you could put the Felder guard on that Laguna riving knife and end up with a clear shield.

Bill, just curious, is the riving knife adjustable on your machine so that it will get closer to the blade?

Leigh Betsch
12-20-2009, 9:06 AM
I just installed a Clear Vue dust collector. I ripped a 3/4 sheet of MDF yesterday with no dust. I have my slider and my rip fence set to angle away from the blade about .005, so I get no drag on the back side of the blade. I think this is critical to avoid creating dust on the top side of the work piece as well as glue line finishes. And yes you still get a dead on 90 degree cut although the kerf is probably a bit wider. My MM also has a cover that tilts out of the way for blade changes and then tilts back so I get pretty good duct collection on the bottom (now that I have a decent dust collector). I rarely use my blade guard/dust shield because I can't see thru it and I don't like the way it mounts to the riving knife. Some day I'll get a Shark Guard and mount it to the ceiling, now that the saw is setting in the right spot, thanks to Steve!

Steve Rozmiarek
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I just installed a Clear Vue dust collector. I ripped a 3/4 sheet of MDF yesterday with no dust. I have my slider and my rip fence set to angle away from the blade about .005, so I get no drag on the back side of the blade. I think this is critical to avoid creating dust on the top side of the work piece as well as glue line finishes. And yes you still get a dead on 90 degree cut although the kerf is probably a bit wider. My MM also has a cover that tilts out of the way for blade changes and then tilts back so I get pretty good duct collection on the bottom (now that I have a decent dust collector). I rarely use my blade guard/dust shield because I can't see thru it and I don't like the way it mounts to the riving knife. Some day I'll get a Shark Guard and mount it to the ceiling, now that the saw is setting in the right spot, thanks to Steve!

Glad my pallet jack could help Leigh!

Bill Neely
12-21-2009, 5:30 AM
Dang, you guys are making me love my Felder even more! I wonder if you could put the Felder guard on that Laguna riving knife and end up with a clear shield.

Bill, just curious, is the riving knife adjustable on your machine so that it will get closer to the blade?

Yes it is but I'd just put a 10" blade on to cut some ply so it was positioned for the 12.

Mike Wilkins
12-21-2009, 9:31 AM
I have had the Laguna Pro 6 Ft. sliding tablesaw since Feb. so I am somewhat familiar with your machine. Dust collection with a slider, I my opinion, is never going to approach 100%. The very nature of a slider with the large openings will prevent a tight enclosure which aids efficient dust collection. I have found that the dust shroud that is attached to the riving knife should be lowered as close to the table as possible, allowing the wood to pass under the guard. I think some of the more pricey sliders (Martin, Altendorf, Griggio, etc) utilize an overarm guard/dust shroud that uses a dust hose in the 4 inch range, which when hooked up to a powerful dust collector, will catch most of the dusty stuff. You did'nt state what size dust collector you are using, which may have an effect. Just my .02 cent worth.