PDA

View Full Version : Is this RAS worth considering?

Keith Avery
12-19-2009, 9:34 PM
Here is a RAS I found in the local craigslist. I have read on this site and others that the older Dewalt's are the best by far, but was wondering about opinions on this Delta. A little looking tells me this is coming from a lumberyard.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1515689400.html

I know I would have to get a phase converter which means this would cost between 400-500 to get operational at a minimum. Thank you for the info, I am sure a few of you know more about RAS's than I could ever hope to learn.

Dave Cav
12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
The Delta turret saws are nice, solid machines. This is a great deal if it runs and is intact, as the current version of this saw is about $6000 new. It looks like a later version so the carriage probably uses rods for guideways instead of grooves in the arm, which is good, as the guide rods can be either rotated or replaced if worn. As I said, the saw is still in production so parts, if necessary, shouldn't be a problem. If it has a 3 HP or less motor, a TECO FM50 http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.198/.f
is all you need to get it running. The VFD will replace the existing contactor/starter, and you should be able to wire the VFD to start and stop through the saw's start switch.

Chris Rosenberger
12-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I use one of those saws in my shop & it is a great saw.
Jump on it, that is a great price.

Keith Avery
12-21-2009, 6:17 PM
Well I bought it. I went this morning and looked at it. It seemed to be in pretty decent shape(much better than I thought it would be) and appeared intact. Small amount of surface rust on the bottom of the arm but not much. It moved smoothly. The manager of the closing lumber yard said they stopped using it a couple years ago because of some side to side moment in the head. It did move a little but I think some tightening and adjusting(possibly the guide rods need to be rotated or replaced). Another employee(only one left besides manager and receptionist) told me he thought the "guys" probably wanted a new saw and told the general manager it was not accurate enough anymore. I am going to pick it up next week. That should be an event, getting all 750 lbs off my trailer will be interesting. I am sure it will be some work to get setup right but for $225 I am willing to take a chance.
I greatly appreciate the advice and may need more once I start working on it. I never thought much about a RAS until starting to plan this shop as I had always thought of it as a luxury item that I didn't have space for. My grandfather was the sawman at a large lumber yard for 40 years in New Jersey and I will think of him everytime I use this saw.
This lumber yard had been open since the 1870's, kinda sad.

Keith Avery
12-21-2009, 6:19 PM
Forgot to add that it is a 16" 33-411 5hp 3ph.

Mike Zipparo
12-22-2009, 2:46 AM
You will love that saw. I have a 5 HP 3Ph motor on my turrent style Delta / Rockwell 14" and it is great. With a sharp blade, it will cut anything.

You could look for a rotary phase converter and be able to run that saw as well as many other pieces of 3 phase machinery.

Dave Cav
12-22-2009, 2:55 AM
Forgot to add that it is a 16" 33-411 5hp 3ph.

With a 5 HP motor you may be out of VFD territory and into an RPC, as VFDs that will provide 5 HP are about as expensive as a VFD. The other option would be to use a static phase converter, which will derate your saw about 30%. What is the nameplate amps and volts on your saw motor?

Lots of info on RPCs, VFDs and old Delta saws is over at Old Woodworking Machines, www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org).

Chip Lindley
12-22-2009, 3:42 AM
Congrats Keith! I have the 33-362 7.5hp 18" Rockwell RAS! Yours was about half the price of mine, and I thought I did well back in the '90s.

Should you encounter any slop in your saw's carriage, the guide rods can be rotated and the rollers adjusted on their eccentric studs to run accurately on the new surfaces. If the bearings be worn, replacements are still available. The bearing carriage/track rods are the main points of wear on an RAS. Motor bearings might be candidates for replacement after years of use in a commercial lumber yard. Not too hard a job either!

The VFD will replace the existing contactor/starter, and you should be able to wire the VFD to start and stop through the saw's start switch.

Not necessisarily so, Dave. Delta (older Rockwell) uses 24v. controls which utilize a momentary on/off pushbutton station to actuate the contactor coil. The contractor would have to be used to start/stop power to a VFD. It could not be bypassed.

A 240V 5hp VFD may be quite pricy. Most economical is a static phase converter will give you 2/3 of the motors hp. 3.333 hp. is still quite much for a home shop. Better, but more expensive would be a 5hp. (minimum) rotary phase converter will give you the full 5hp. An RPC can be used for other 3 phase machines that you acquire. Enjoy that BIG RAS!