PDA

View Full Version : New tools!

Mike Minto
12-19-2009, 8:03 PM
Sorby Threading tools, 16 tpi set, with recess cutting tools. Got them from Hartville Tools, at a really great price and free shipping. Can't wait to ruin some wood learning to use these. the instructional DVD has some really cool projects.

Chris Haas
12-19-2009, 9:19 PM
i would love to hear how easy or difficult they are to use, those tools have haunted my checking account for about a year and a half now.

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2009, 9:39 PM
Congrats on the tools. Please let us know how they are to use. I have been thinking of getting those myself.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Congrats on the tools! Looking forward to the review!

Dan Forman
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Me too!

Dan

Mauricio Ulloa
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Awesome! Please let me know how they work!

Bill O'Conner
12-22-2009, 3:28 AM
Mike did you get the armrest? I found it to be alot easier with the armrest and using 20 tpi.

Bill

Mike Minto
12-22-2009, 6:45 AM
bill, no id didn't get the armrest (funds!). figured i'd try it without, then maybe with when i can afford it. so this is something you've done? can you show us some pics of what you've made?

Bill O'Conner
12-22-2009, 2:34 PM
Mike

here are some small boxes that I've made I'm a turner not a photografter

all are under 2 1/2 inches tall by around 1 1/2 inched in dia 3 of them are Lignum Vitae and the last one is purpleheart had to use CA on the threads of the purple heart to get them to stay. I've done some in OO and hard Maple but have had a little trouble with the buffer grapping them and than the boxes explode. I used 20 tpi on all of these I just got the 16 tpi but havent got a chance to use them yet

Thanks
Bill

Mike Minto
12-22-2009, 3:24 PM
Quote:
here are some small boxes that I've made I'm a turner not a photografter

:) You got that right! I think your photog is even worse than mine :)! The boxes are very nice, though - hope I can make some near as nice as yours. Thanks for showing them to us.

Bill O'Conner
12-22-2009, 3:45 PM
those were taken with my camera phone don't have a real camera

Joshua Dinerstein
12-22-2009, 5:46 PM
Sorby Threading tools, 16 tpi set, with recess cutting tools. Got them from Hartville Tools, at a really great price and free shipping. Can't wait to ruin some wood learning to use these. the instructional DVD has some really cool projects.
Oh doggone it!!! I thought I was done buying Christmas Presents. But no!!!! Now i have to go out and buy these.

I was just getting on to ask about threading as I purchased a DVD from KTMP in the UK by John Berkeley. He shows some threading on puzzle boxes. He of course makes it look super easy which got me to thinking about trying it out. Then I see that the tools needed are on sale and suddenly I have to have them. This whole vortex thing is getting to be a problem. *sigh*

So have you had a chance to try them out yet? :)

Did you buy the whole set or just a few pieces?

Thanks,
Joshua

Mike Minto
12-22-2009, 9:38 PM
Joshua, i bought the set, plus recess cutter (did not get the 'brace', but may, yet). comes with special calipers, which i can see will be enormous help. be advised the set comes with a dvd - don't buy another instructional until you see this one; it's pretty complete, i think. no, haven't used it yet - hurt my shoulder, and it's getting cold outside. am kind of stocking up on tools/material until better weather, now that i have xmas presents done! tell us if you get the tools (i bought the 16 tip, the 'middle' size. the dvd says the 10 tpi are better for making utility items that screw together; it uses the 16 tpi in the demos. the 20 tpi, doesn't give much info on.

Bill O'Conner
12-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I have the 20 tpi and 16 tpi. Everything I've read or watched said that the 20 tpi are the best for the beginger.
Bill Jones in his book notes fron the turning shop suggest a medium chaser of 20 to 24 tpi for a beginger.

Allen Batty in his video hand chasing threads also says that a 18 to 24 tpi is a good thread to start with

John Berkeley in his book all screwed up, say to start with 20 tpi this size isfine enough to make learning easy and coarse enough for general threads

Bill

Mike Minto
12-28-2009, 10:25 AM
The threading tools, so far, have proven to be both harder and easier to use than I had anticipated. The easy part was how easily the cutters cut their grooves in the wood. The harder part, for me, has been moving the cutter at a uniform rate so as to cut the threads at the same rate on both pieces, as well as not just making grooves with no 'spiral' to them, and getting the diameter of the 'tenon' and 'mortise' to match well. This was the 4th piece I made yesterday, and the only one which screws together at all. i found it to be enjoyable, however - don't know if i'll get that accessory rest or not - so far, it seems as it would just be an extra link between me and the wood - anyone else here who threads wood use that tool?

Bill O'Conner
12-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Mike

I use the tool, it helps keep the inside chaser from bouncing in the grain on the cut

I've make about 6 boxes this weekend and had the same trouble I get good threads but sometimes the thread just won't match up no matter what I"ve tried

sometimes it's the wood I use african black wood and lignum vitae they both take a nice thread, hard maple seems to take a soso thread but I'm sure for practice it would be fine.

the big key is to practice and more practice