PDA

View Full Version : First Attempts at Pendants

BILL DONAHUE
12-19-2009, 6:52 PM
Have been away from the lathe since July. My lathe is in our garage and despite attempts to insulate and cool it, it's just way to hot to use. (In fact, I had inventoried and photographed all of my woodturning gear in anticipation of selling it.) In any case, I decided to make some Christmas presents for my wife and two daughters, ages 16 & 13, and tried a few pendants. Today, my daughters and I went to a bead shop and they made a couple of necklaces and a bracelet with two of the pendants. The reaction of the women in the shop to the pendants was a bit overwhelming and may make me want to get back into woodturning. Two of the pendants have some wooodburning to accentuate the design.

Dolan Brown
12-19-2009, 7:25 PM
I really like your pendants. I have made several recently - some will be Christmas gifts and some hopefully to sell at craft shows in the Spring.

Do you reposition them on the lathe after you drill the hole to cut the grooves in them or just how do you do them? I cut two grooves in the bottom half but yours - but I like the way yours look better.

John Keeton
12-19-2009, 7:29 PM
Very interesting result, and I am curious as well. Can you give up the trade secrets?

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2009, 7:43 PM
Those are great looking pendents. I really like them.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2009, 7:46 PM
Those are beauties! Someone is going to appreciate their Christmas gifts!

Baxter Smith
12-19-2009, 7:55 PM
I can see why they would sell! Very nice.

Dahl Troy Perry
12-19-2009, 9:21 PM
I found this one IAP site if it helps I made my own and it works great.:D:D

www. penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48855&highlight=pendents&page=8

-when you copy and paste the address, remove the space before penturners-

alex carey
12-19-2009, 9:34 PM
wow i find it hard to believe these are your first pendants, really nice job.

gary Zimmel
12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I bet those pendents will be a big hit Bill.

Scott Lux
12-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Your first beat my first by a mile. Very nice indeed. Consider my next pendants the sincerest form of flattery.

Brian Effinger
12-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Those are fantastic Bill. Each and every one of them. The last one really catches my eye though.

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Beautiful work on all of your pendants Bill! I can see why the ladies loved them! Nice materials, colors and designs! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Toney Robertson
12-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Very nice. I like your designs.

Well done.

Toney

BILL DONAHUE
12-20-2009, 8:51 PM
Thanks for the comments. Dahl has it right with the IAP website, a site that I didn't know existed till someone posted some pendants on Sawmill Creek and mentioned it. The bottom line is that Richard Joyner, a pen turner from Tampa, has a tool for sale called a "pendant backer plate" that allows one to easily make pendants. There are a lot of posts on that site about pendants and a link to two fantastic videos by Ed Davidson (yo-yo spin) about how to make them.