PDA

View Full Version : OK, I pulled the trigger...it's almost over now, right?

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2009, 4:25 PM
Or maybe it's not.:(

I just pulled the trigger on the Grizzly G0691 table saw that I have been harping on for a year now. I know, I know...It's about time!!! :D I had emailed 3 times with customer service on Thursday to verify who the carrier would be for the shipping (UPS Freight) and that shipping would be 3 to 5 days. Pretty normal stuff. I called UPS Freight to verify if they had something smaller than the 53' trailer/tractor with lift gate service as those have a hard time turning around in my part of the sub division to be able to get back out. Yes, they have a 28' truck with lift gate capability. All is good. So at the first intermission of the Stars/Red Wing game, I called the order in..........Back ordered until April. APRIL?!?!?!?????? Yes, I had heard her correctly.:( I told Jennifer, girl at Grizzly, "Oh well, I've waited this long. Might as well wait some more."

I had her check other warehouses, and there are some in Washington, but they only ship out of the nearest warehouse on the free shipping items. I understand that, no problem. So I have plenty of time to plan and get things in order. :rolleyes: Wasn't real sure how I was going to get a day off during the holidays to come check it in anyway. But I would have made it happen somehow!!:D Jim.

glenn bradley
12-19-2009, 4:33 PM
Congrats Jim but, I'm a little confused . . . you've been talking about this for so long I assumed you were ordering a replacement for the one you already wore out :D:D:D:rolleyes:. No worries. As you said, you now have plenty of time to plan the landing spot.

Jason White
12-19-2009, 4:33 PM
Congrats, Jim! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Don't be surprised if they get new ones in much sooner than April. Seems to be a hot item right now and they'd do well to have plenty on product on hand.

Jason

Or maybe it's not.:(

I just pulled the trigger on the Grizzly G0691 table saw that I have been harping on for a year now. I know, I know...It's about time!!! :D I had emailed 3 times with customer service on Thursday to verify who the carrier would be for the shipping (UPS Freight) and that shipping would be 3 to 5 days. Pretty normal stuff. I called UPS Freight to verify if they had something smaller than the 53' trailer/tractor with lift gate service as those have a hard time turning around in my part of the sub division to be able to get back out. Yes, they have a 28' truck with lift gate capability. All is good. So at the first intermission of the Stars/Red Wing game, I called the order in..........Back ordered until April. APRIL?!?!?!?????? Yes, I had heard her correctly.:( I told Jennifer, girl at Grizzly, "Oh well, I've waited this long. Might as well wait some more."

I had her check other warehouses, and there are some in Washington, but they only ship out of the nearest warehouse on the free shipping items. I understand that, no problem. So I have plenty of time to plan and get things in order. :rolleyes: Wasn't real sure how I was going to get a day off during the holidays to come check it in anyway. But I would have made it happen somehow!!:D Jim.

John Keeton
12-19-2009, 4:36 PM
Christmas in April!! Get a calendar, and start marking off the days....

Congrats! And, I am with Jason. I bet you get it sooner.

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2009, 4:48 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping it will be quicker too. Most reports of Grizzly back orders do come earlier. Seems like only a couple I've read were later.
The part I fear is that I'll put off getting the shop ready for it. I plan to get out there tomorrow and clean most of the PVC shavings up off the saw and floor, then move the contractor saw over to where it will be in the new scheme of things and get it plumbed back in to be able to use it. Most of the PVC I've been cutting has been without the aid of the cyclone, so the shavings are everywhere. I still need to find a day I can get off a little early and go get another stick of 6" PVC so I can re-plumb the west wall. Guess it will give me enough time to work on the SCMS hood I need to make. Jim.

Rob Holcomb
12-19-2009, 5:11 PM
Jim, I have the G0691 and I love it. The only issue I have had with mine isn't really an issue with the saw but the extended table support legs. I have mine on a mobile base but I didn't think about buying the base extension to accommodate the support legs. If yours will be permanently in one spot you have no problem but if you want it mobile, get the mobile base extension too. The support legs/foot bolts aren't long enough otherwise.

Mac McQuinn
12-19-2009, 5:23 PM
Jim,
Did Grizzly give you a Rain check on the order with sale pricing?

I've been mulling over a BS purchase to get sale pricing and free shipping by end of the month although may look elsewhere if saw is out of stock and they won't honor the incentives when ordered.

Mac

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2009, 5:28 PM
Rob, I will be building my own mobility, so yes the legs will be supported by it. You know, you can still add the extension to your mobility kit if you haven't already.
Mac, the price is saved. I didn't verify, but I doubt that they take payment until the unit ships. If it shows up on my next Visa bill, I'll call and say if they are going to have me pay for it now, they need to ship it out of the other warehouse!! :D
Well, the Stars game is over...I should go out to the shop, but I think I'll veg for a while. There is less than an hour of daylight left anyway. Jim.

Myk Rian
12-19-2009, 5:35 PM
And the next time we play the Stars, we'll kick your butts. :p

Bill Huber
12-19-2009, 5:40 PM
If you have a problem taking off to receive it, I can take off any time. So you could just have it delivered to my house....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great, I know you would like to have it now but it will get here.

Jim Kountz
12-19-2009, 8:58 PM
Wow Jim thats too bad you have to wait that long but at least its on the way right!! Congrats!!

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2009, 9:44 PM
That's true, Jim. But it makes me wonder if its been "born" yet??? Have any of its parts started to form? Will there be any problems with its development? If it has been born, how old? Is it lonely, or does it have many brothers to play with?
Sorry, my mind is playing tricks on me. :D

Bill, if it comes to that, I'll certainly keep you in mind.;) Do you have an extra 220 receptacle? :p

Mik, I look forward to it. ;) Jim.

Jeff Miller
12-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey Jim you can look at my 690 till you get yours ..................don't have them looooooooong rails ,but other than that enjoy.................

You sure have more patience than me,I'd be going nuts:eek::eek:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/GO690%20router%20table/101_6866.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

JEFF:)

Stephen Edwards
12-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Jim, I'm proud for you that you've ordered the saw that you've been wanting and saving for for such a long time. Congratulations, man! I also admire your positive, patient attitude.

Merry Christmas!

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, sure....rub it in! :D:D:D I've seen the pictures of yours from your thread on adding the router insert into the extension table. Again, you did a very nice job there.

Stephen, what else can I do? Crying and moaning about it won't change things. I knew it would be a possibility having to wait until I had the money, especially when the ad came out at the lower price. But I wonder who bought them all? I've only seen a handful of people on the wood forums I'm on talk about getting one since November. The last 12 months passed pretty quickly...the next 4 will also. Jim.

Hey Jim you can look at my 690 till you get yours ..................don't have them looooooooong rails ,but other than that enjoy.................

You sure have more patience than me,I'd be going nuts:eek::eek:

snip
JEFF:)

Rick Moyer
12-20-2009, 12:49 AM
If they have some in WA, I can't believe they won't soon have some in Mo and PA. You are welcome to come up and use mine in the mean time. While you're here we could go up to Muncy and let you drool some, too.
I hope they get you yours before April. You have waited too long to have to wait three more months after ordering.

Philip Johnson
12-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Congrats on the new saw, I wonder how long this thread will be by April, I hate waiting for new tools

Phil

Jacob Mac
12-20-2009, 2:30 PM
That is a long wait, especially since you have been saving for it for so long. But at least you have a saw to keep you in business in the interim.

Gary Herrmann
12-20-2009, 2:33 PM
Congrats on pulling the trigger. Sorry you have to wait so long, but you'll have plenty of time to make the base.

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2009, 4:14 PM
Gary, I've spent a little time this morning thinking about the mobile base. Trying to figure out in my mind how to build it. I will need to raise the saw 2 to 2 1/2" to match the other horizontal surfaces in the shop anyway. I think I'm about to the point of doing some drawings to make a build list to price it out. I don't want one that just locks the casters to keep it in place. I want feet that I lower to take the saw off the wheels so that it is more stable. I think Griz has the dimensions of the base on the web site, so I should be able to find everything I need. But if anyone has some ideas, don't be afraid to throw them into the discussion. Jim

Jason White
12-20-2009, 5:10 PM
Don't worry about using double-locking casters. They'll be plenty stable.

Jason

Gary, I've spent a little time this morning thinking about the mobile base. Trying to figure out in my mind how to build it. I will need to raise the saw 2 to 2 1/2" to match the other horizontal surfaces in the shop anyway. I think I'm about to the point of doing some drawings to make a build list to price it out. I don't want one that just locks the casters to keep it in place. I want feet that I lower to take the saw off the wheels so that it is more stable. I think Griz has the dimensions of the base on the web site, so I should be able to find everything I need. But if anyone has some ideas, don't be afraid to throw them into the discussion. Jim

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2009, 6:37 PM
Don't worry about using double-locking casters. They'll be plenty stable.

Jason

No, I won't use locking casters at all. Just 4 swivel casters, probably 4" ones. And 6 pads that I can screw down to take the saw off the wheels, and level the saw at the same time. I need to see if my friend Bob can get me 6 more of the leveling pads he gave me for my benches. If not I'll order some heavy duty ones from Mcmaster-Carr. Jim.

Shiraz Balolia
12-20-2009, 7:19 PM
Jim, I can't believe how patient you are!

I am not in town so I cannot check the status, but I know that the April date is wrong. There are some that are just leaving the factory and should arrive in the country the first part of 2010. They might even put some on a stock transfer container to the warehouse which services you and in that case it will still be January. Sorry for the delay, but the low pricing caused a rush of orders.

Have a great holiday season, and thanks for the business.

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2009, 7:29 PM
WOW!!!!!
I don't even ask, and Papa Bear breaks in with great news!!! Thanks Shiraz! That's just another reason Grizzly rocks!! Merry Christmas to you, your family and all your employees! Jim

Ron Jones near Indy
12-20-2009, 8:00 PM
You aren't excited by that news are you?;);)

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2009, 9:41 PM
Nah, I'm a pretty laid back kind of guy. :D Jim.

Don Bullock
12-20-2009, 9:46 PM
Well Jim, it is about time you "pulled the trigger" and bought one. That's great! Hopefully Papa Bear is correct! :D

Jeff Miller
12-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Nah, I'm a pretty laid back kind of guy. :D Jim.

Where's my GRIZZLY:eek:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/19017-beetlejuice.jpg

JEFF:D

Gerry Werth
12-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Congrates Jim it will be worth the wait. Christmas in April isn't so bad. I can also send some more pics of mine if you need something to drool over. :D

Jim O'Dell
12-21-2009, 9:13 AM
Jeff, where did you come up with my wedding picture???? :D Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-21-2009, 1:02 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with Jessica at Grizzly. Such a sweet girl (she called me mind you) and guess it is my lucky Monday. Her Mgr. found one in the whse that someone canceled an order on that didn't show on the computer Sat, so my saw will ship out..................drum roll please.....TODAY!!

Merry Christmas to me!!! :D

Shiraz, don't know if you had a hand in this or not, but either way thank you for your note to this thread yesterday.

Now everyone keep their fingers crossed for safe shipping! Jim.

Stephen Edwards
12-21-2009, 1:19 PM
Great News, Jim!!!

Charlie McGuire
12-21-2009, 2:13 PM
Jim,

Congratulations on the purchase and expedited shipping ! You will like this saw. Merry Christmas!

Rod Upfold
12-21-2009, 4:32 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with Jessica at Grizzly. Such a sweet girl (she called me mind you) and guess it is my lucky Monday. Her Mgr. found one in the whse that someone canceled an order on that didn't show on the computer Sat, so my saw will ship out..................drum roll please.....TODAY!!

Shiraz, don't know if you had a hand in this or not, but either way thank you for your note to this thread yesterday.

If more companies gave service like that - maybe we wouldn't see so many
going under...

Rod

Jason White
12-21-2009, 4:34 PM
IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!

Don't you just love a happy ending? :D

ho ho ho....

Gerry Werth
12-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Jim, First, congrates on NOT having to wait for Christmas in April. If you are planning on making your own moblie base, look here for some suggestions. http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/10/06/15-free-mobile-base-plans-put-your-power-tools-on-wheels/

There was another thread here a while back by another guy, may have to search, that built his own base for his 690 to raise it up several inches, because he was 6' + and the 34" height was too low.

Dave Lehnert
12-22-2009, 12:03 AM

Every time you hear a Grizzly roar, A table saw earns it's wings.

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2008/12/18/wonderful_wideweb__470x365,0.jpg

Merry Christmas

Don Bullock
12-22-2009, 11:56 AM

That's fantastic news Jim. Congratulations and enjoy!:D

Rod Sheridan
12-22-2009, 3:03 PM
Gee, and here I thought Jim and I would both be waiting patiently for our new saws, seems his will be here earlier than mine.

Merry Christmas Jim, hope you enjoy your new saw........Rod.

Jim O'Dell
12-22-2009, 3:17 PM
Thanks guys! But now I'm scrambling to design the mobile base!!:D Good problem to have.
Rod, I forget...what saw are you waiting on? Hope it's not a long wait! Jim.

Derek Gilmer
12-22-2009, 3:26 PM
Every time you hear a Grizzly roar, A table saw earns it's wings.

I love it!

And congats on the saw Jim. It is always great when things work out better than expected!

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-22-2009, 3:35 PM
Jim - congrats on your new TS, and also your 'good fortune' for getting it sooner rather than later. And as for your mobile base dilemna......yes, it is a 'good problem to have'!

Rod Sheridan
12-22-2009, 4:13 PM
Thanks guys! But now I'm scrambling to design the mobile base!!:D Good problem to have.
Rod, I forget...what saw are you waiting on? Hope it's not a long wait! Jim.

Jim, the wait is self inflicted, I ordered a Hammer B3 Winner in October and specified April delivery. (I think fastest delivery was end of December).

This was to allow me time to sell the General saw and shaper.

Well, they sold within 2 hours of posting them!

Fortunately I was able to obtain a delivery agreement for the saw for March, and the shaper in January. otherwise I'd be missing two machines until April.

Have fun with your new saw.......Rod.

Jim O'Dell
12-22-2009, 4:21 PM
Jim, the wait is self inflicted, I ordered a Hammer B3 Winner in October and specified April delivery. (I think fastest delivery was end of December).

This was to allow me time to sell the General saw and shaper.

Well, they sold within 2 hours of posting them!

Fortunately I was able to obtain a delivery agreement for the saw for March, and the shaper in January. otherwise I'd be missing two machines until April.

Have fun with your new saw.......Rod.

Right back at 'ya!! Nice tools! Jim.

BOB OLINGER
12-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Jim,

Congratulations!!!! I spent about 30 yrs. on a 9" Delta my dad gave me as a present. I purchased a 10" Delta contractors a little over a year ago and thought I went to heaven. I'm not envious but I am :) I'm glad for you. Merry Christmas.

Howard Boehm
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
While your waiting you can put you dust collection to the saw in the slab. its a 2 day project but it sure works great. I have pictures on my gallery of photos of the work shop. No more tripping over the dust collection or having it get in my way.

Jim O'Dell
12-23-2009, 4:22 PM
Sorry, I'm not cutting the slab. :D I don't have any hoses or pipes in my walking area. The TS duct drops down just off the back right corner of the extension table, then runs under the saw, so it's out of the way. It will actually run between the 2 saws in the new floor plan. The BS duct drops down against the wall, then comes out on the back side (side with motor) of the saw and loops to the front above the brake to hook in. Wish the MM saws had the duct out the back side instead of the right side. I wouldn't think it would have changed the integrity of the saw. If I had ducting in the floor, this change would have been a big problem. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-23-2009, 6:00 PM
Can you believe it? The saw is at the Ft. Worth terminal already!!! Came in at 7:11 this am! Shipped out Monday afternoon, so what 38 hours or so? LOML called a little bit ago with information from the answering machine. I called to schedule delivery and the lady said next Wed. I didn't expect them to bring it tomorrow, but I thought Mon or Tues would have been workable for them. But Wed it is! Of course, all they can say is between 8 and 5. Hopefully it will be early enough that I can go get the PVC pipe I need.
Thanks for riding along with me. I'll start a new thread when it arrives and document with pictures. Jim.

Curt Harms
12-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I called to schedule delivery and the lady said next Wed. I didn't expect them to bring it tomorrow, but I thought Mon or Tues would have been workable for them. But Wed it is!

THE SCROOGES!!!:mad: Isn't there are Carly Simon song about anticipation? Congrats on the pending new arrival.:cool:

Greg Wittler
12-24-2009, 2:08 PM
Jim,

Glad to here your saw is already on the way. Just got off the phone from ordering mine. When I first saw your post regarding April I was bummed too until you stated that the Washington location had them. So mine should arrive close to the new year. Hopefully I can make room in the garage by then. It is a mess but as I thought, I needed a wild hair to start cleaning it up into a usable shop and the G0691 IS THAT HAIR (hopefully)

Happy Holdiays,

Greg

Jim O'Dell
12-24-2009, 3:22 PM
Man, you're not excited enough about this saw!! I started redoing things in my shop a month before I ordered mine!!!:D
Congrats on the saw. I think we are both going to enjoy it. I think we'll flood the others with our pictures and write ups. :rolleyes: Jim.

Greg Wittler
12-24-2009, 7:07 PM
Would be done if I spent as much time on that as I have been on the net,but I did get just about all the info I needed from this site, Not to mention that I have been so busy at work the past month that I ended up going in two saturdays in a row to catch up. Yet, if work wasn't busy there would be no bonuses and no saw to look forward to, so starting tomorrow its up into the attic to make room for all the junk in the garage. And yes hopefully a ton of pictures to follow. Might be good to show before & after if the shop turns out even half as good as it looks in my head right now.

Happy Holidays,

GregW.