PDA

View Full Version : Timing is everything! Thanks, Ken and Gang!

John Keeton
12-19-2009, 4:18 PM
Well, as I wait impatiently for my Nova chuck to get here Tuesday, I decided to make a few more ornaments. But, I just couldn't stand it anymore!! I had to try something else round.:D

I didn't want to screw up the really great pieces of wood that have been sent to me by the "HOLE IN THE ROUND GANG" (led by "Butch" Fitzgerald and "Sundance" Schlumpf, and assisted by Tony "The Tiger" De Masi, and thought to include other unidentified members.:cool:;)

So, I took a scrap of walnut, cut it in two pieces, and a scrap of curly maple and glued up a block. Perhaps a maple rim on a bowl would be neat.

Then, I bandsawed a round, and stuck it between centers. My thought was to just play with this thing and get a feel for the bowl gouge, end grain, etc. If I don't totally destroy it by Tuesday, I could chuck it up and see what happens.

There isn't really a plan - just get it "round." And, tried to get it between centers so that the glue line between the walnut and maple can be cut clean.
If you look closely, you can see the glue line, but it is amazing that by cutting the board and stacking it I was able to get nearly perfect grain match on the walnut!! I rubbed a little BLO on so the grain would show.
About the time I decided that I just don't quite know enough about this bowl thing, I heard a vehicle coming up the drive. We are secluded, with a quarter mile drive. So, when I hear a vehicle, it gets my interest. I looked out the shop window and it was Fed Ex. Hmmmmm........

So, I went out to meet the truck, and he handed me an envelope. Quickly looked at the label, and it is from Ken Fitzgerald - again!!:confused:

Inside -

Timing is everything!!!:D:D:D

Ken, and all who are participating in this barrage of gifts and support - MANY THANKS!!

Before I totally destroy this block of wood - I think I will relax for awhile, watch this DVD, and see what I am to do next!!

And, if any of you guys have any suggestions to a real newbie as to where to go with this - let me know!

David Warkentin
12-19-2009, 4:25 PM
Let's see. Hmmm> If I changed my name to John would I get things like this in the mail? John, you are a lucky guy! David

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2009, 4:29 PM
John - glad to see you are getting into the spirit of this turning thing!!!

That is a great gift from Ken - my favorite woodturning DVD! I have watched it countless times and still go back every now and then for a refresher! Great information and Bill does a great job of presenting it in an entertaining way!

Have fun!

Tony De Masi
12-19-2009, 4:30 PM
Hey John, You seem to be getting along quite well in the round world. That dvd is a great one. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it.

Happy turning from the deep snows of Virginia.

Tony " The Tiger " De Masi

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2009, 4:32 PM
Uh....John.....Brian Effinger is the other member of the gang that got involved with that DVD.

John....the reason I like that DVD above others...and I have others....Bill talks about and demonstrates 4 different gouge techniques and each one has it's particular use.

He explains technique demonstrates it and adds a little humor in the process.

Enjoy!

Kenneth Whiting
12-19-2009, 4:43 PM
Good start on a bowl John.
It's like seeing the 12 days of Christmas with your posts. By the time you read this you will already know that is a great DVD.

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2009, 6:42 PM
Great DVD John. You watch that a couple of times and you will be a bowl turning machine.:p Seriously I have watched that video like the others numerous times and catch something new everytime.

alex carey
12-19-2009, 9:38 PM
John you are so far in the hole its amazing, your NEVER going to get out of that vortex. Would you have ever thought you'd get addicted this quickly?

gary Zimmel
12-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm thinging that Fed Ex guy doesn't even have to look up your address anymore John.:D

Another great gloat....
Congrats!

Brian Effinger
12-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Holy cow!!! That was fast. I hope you find the DVD as usefull as I have. I keep going back to it time and time again, usually just to watch a particular cut, and then go back to the lathe to put it into action. I can't tell you how many times I've been working on a bowl, and the cut just isn't working like it was supposed to be. That is when I go back to the DVD and Bill staightens me out.

John Keeton
12-20-2009, 7:12 AM
Brian, thanks for your contribution to my lifelong addiction!!:eek::D My wife wants your address - said something about a "hit", and mumbled something about "last Christmas." I didn't catch all of it, and I was having trouble picking up on the look on her face. Sort of a twisted smile!:rolleyes::D:D Pretty sure she wanted to send cookies, or something.......

I got thru about half of the DVD, with several "backup and watch that again" moments. Lot to digest, and like Brian said, much of this will need to be put into action, review, adjust, try again...

Have to take a break from the lathe today to help with some "honey do" stuff, but may try to sneak back out after supper!;)

Thanks go out to my cheering support group - without you guys, I would still be stuck in the mundane world of flat boards!!!:) Of course, I would financially be better off.....

Baxter Smith
12-20-2009, 4:56 PM
Have watched both his DVD's multiple times over the last week. Have got all the punch lines down pat. Remembering all the rest though is another thing.

Some people have their Jane Fonda Workout tapes, I now have Bill Grumbine! Just get on the eliptical and hit play. I suppose thats not helping develp my turning muscle though.:D

John Keeton
12-20-2009, 5:59 PM
I suppose thats not helping develp my turning muscle though.:DI believe the prescription for that is pizza and beer - lots of each!!

Baxter Smith
12-20-2009, 7:05 PM
Sounds darn tempting after spending much of the day going back and forth between shoveling and trying to get my 49 farmall with its trip bucket loader to start!

Thats actually mentioned in the second DVD. You had better get it to gain insight into the nuances of advanced turning!:D

John Keeton
12-21-2009, 5:10 PM
Same story, different day, another box......

This time, the label says Bernie Weishapl!!! I had concerns that the "Gang" had other unsavory characters at work on a rear flank attack!!:D My suspicions have been confirmed!

This box was HEAVY!! Inside - a HUGE chunk of walnut.
Their plan is becoming much more clear to me with this "bomb.";) This thing is 9.25, x 10.5, or thereabouts. Clearly, there has been a method to this madness. The first few blanks were manageable on the HF - this one will be a challenge. It will push the absolute limits of my HF lathe, and will make me wish for that PM 3520B!!:D

Good plan guys!! I am betting when I put this piece on the lathe, I will get that "deer in the headlights" look!:eek:

Thanks, Bernie!! I appreciate the PMs we had on the AAW, and I do hope you can find it in your spring plans to make that trip to VA, with a stop in KY. Supper is on me!!

BTW, as further evidence of the success of this plan, I just snatched up 4 DVDs on bowl turning that came up on the Classified forum!

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2009, 5:25 PM
John - congrats on the Walnut and the DVDs! You know...... Jet and Powermatic are running a pretty good special for the next few days. Might be something to think about.........

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Your welcome John. You are going to love turning it. I bandsawed it round before I sent it and as you can see I anchorsealed it. That is some of the nicest turning walnut I had. That should give you a good 10" X 5" deep bowl. I have some really big pieces but those are going to be for my new oneway bowl coring outfit that I hope to use next year when I will have all the time in the world to turn. 9 more days not that I am counting.

Oh by the way follow Bill's instructions to the T. When he says, "that is what the rewind button is for." Now you know.:D:rolleyes::cool:;)

Stuart Reid
12-22-2009, 2:10 AM
I to have watched Bill's DVD many times and have just ordered the second edition. Hopefully it will arrive before Christmas as I understand "it is in the mail." Merry Christmas to all.

Stu

John Keeton
12-24-2009, 4:11 PM
They struck again!! And, on Christmas Eve - how about THAT timing!!!:D

This time the box was from Brian Effinger. I knew Brian had been a participant in the "Grumbine mission," but, I thought the onslaught was over. Little did I know......

Brian sent me a huge chunk of green maple, some spindle blanks, including some exotic that I cannot identify, and a branch of Buckthorn. I had to look up the Buckthorn, and wasn't aware of it, but I think we have some of that locally. Looks to be a very nice color.
And, yes, all of that fit in that box. Honestly, I think Brian made the blanks for the box!

But, best of all, THIS was in the box!
I have a real fondness for curly maple and walnut - my two favorite woods. And, this piece is gorgeous!! I already am planning a bowl with this piece, and it probably will include a little walnut and black epoxy.

Brian, you and the rest of "the gang" have made my conversion to the round side very special. Many thanks, and I just hope I can pay this forward at some point.

I will try to "do right" by this wood! I don't intend to touch the curly maple until I am more consistent with some of my technique and have better tool control.

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Glad the box made it to you. And have fun with it. I tried getting as much as I could in the box. I like getting my money's worth from postage. :)

The exotic wood is teak. I have several that are about that size, but haven't gotten around to turning them yet. If you get to it first, be sure to post your experience.

I'm sure you will do just fine with that maple. I can't wait to see what becomes of it.

Brian

Joe Adams
12-26-2009, 11:14 AM
John,

Congratulations on your Christmas bounty! For a preview of that figured maple blank, go to my thread on "Christmas Bowls".

Seeing the photo of your new blank was déjà vu all over again. The blanks we used were all marked identically to it and had the same curly figure. I suspect Brian shops at Rockler, too.

They're dry and stable so just make sure you start with a sharp tool and touch it up if it starts tearing.

I did the outside shaping using pull cuts starting at 550 rpm and then sped it up to 900 for a finishing cut. My brother hollowed the interior using push cuts at 900rpm.

I just got Grumbine's DVD for Christmas so I'll be interested to learn new techniques. We are beginning turners and used the techniques from Jet's plate turning videos on youtube.

Good luck!

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 11:24 AM
I suspect Brian shops at Rockler, too.
:D Yeah, I bought a few of them a month or so ago.

They're dry and stable so just make sure you start with a sharp tool and touch it up if it starts tearing.
That's good to know. I haven't turned them yet, but would like to soon - hopefully before my next club meeting.

And you'll like Bill's DVD. It is full of great info, and I refer back to it often.

John Keeton
12-26-2009, 1:59 PM
Congratulations on your Christmas bounty! For a preview of that figured maple blank, go to my thread on "Christmas Bowls".Joe, I saw your thread, and the spalted one you did really caught my eye. I think this CM blank could make an excellent bowl, and I am sure there is one in there somewhere - I just have to find it, and not destroy it!!:D

Thanks for the tips on how to approach the wood!