PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Kick Some Pe-Can Be-Hind!

Tom LaRussa
10-09-2004, 4:04 PM
You may remember my post last week about how I got my tail kicked by a pecan tree and a recalcitrant Stihl chain saw. :mad: :( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12648

Well, I just tried out my chainsaw again and it fired right up after just a few pulls. Didn't die off on me or anything. I had to shut the thing off myself 'cuz I was about to asphyxiate. I guess a closed garage is not the best place to try this out? :eek: But seriously, I was afraid to do it outside where the neighbors could see -- just in case I spent another hour yanking that cord to no avail. :o

WAAA-HOOOOOTIE!

I'M READY FOR ROUND II!

BRING IT ON!

THIS TIME I'M KICKIN' FANNY AND TAKIN' NAMES! (and pictures)

:D :D :D

John Shuk
10-09-2004, 4:40 PM
Tom,
I'm gald the saw is working. I sent you a couple e-mails I don't know if you got them but I was feeling pretty bad. Now Go out and whoop that tree!

Tom LaRussa
10-10-2004, 7:26 PM
Tom,
I'm gald the saw is working. I sent you a couple e-mails I don't know if you got them but I was feeling pretty bad. Now Go out and whoop that tree!
Hi John,

Sorry I didn't answer your emails! I get so much spam and so few actual messages from actual humans that I sometimes go weeks without looking at it. :o

The saw is running great -- it purrs like a really big kitten (with a nasty disposition). :D I'm amazed at how little vibration I feel in my hands when the thing is running.

The one concern I have is that the chain oiling mechanism doesn't seem to be oiling the chain. I cleaned out the holes in the bar, which were pretty gunked up. And if I stick a toothpick into the hole in the side of the saw that lines up with the oil holes on the bar it comes out with oil on it. But the bar and chain still seem dry.

I'm thinking maybe that it takes a while for the oil to work its way out and all along the bar/chain? If so, should I oil the chain and/or the slot in the bar manually to sort of prime things?

John Shuk
10-10-2004, 7:35 PM
No just give it a minute or two to get on there. I just hold the saw downward a little bit pointing at something and you will see the oil specks hitting whatever it is you are aiming it at.

terry richards
10-10-2004, 7:45 PM
Hello Tom,

If your saw happens to be a Stihl, there may well be an adjustment for the oil pump. Look on the bottom of the engine, under the position just behind the sprocket. There could be a recessed screw with a high/low pictogram. Turn it all the way up.

If your saw is some other brand, you might check out the filter in the oil tank. It's usually a screen on a rubber tube. It dangles in the oil reservoir. Often sawdust accumulates in this tank and clogs up this filter. Just brush it off or rinse it in kerosene or diesel. Do not try compressed air!

It's also OK to run the saw without the bar & chain (not too long or too fast) to see if oil is coming out the port in the side of the crankcase. It's only necessary to get enough RPM doing this to make certain the clutch engages and the sprocket is turning. Shouldn't take more than 10 - 12 seconds to make this test. If oil comes out the port, the clog may be in your bar channel. If oil is not coming out, your problem is probably in the filter (cheap) or the oil pump (less cheap).

Newer saws use generally use less BC oil than the old hogs. Fill both the gas and the oil tanks to the top and run the machine. If it is working properly, your gas tank should run dry with about 25% or so of your BC oil still in the tank. This is intentional; keeps you from running the chain dry (usually).

Hope this helps.

TR

Michael Stafford
10-10-2004, 8:03 PM
I think you will find that the pecan tree will yield nicely to a well tuned Stihl. I just want you to be careful cause it cares not what it cuts. :eek: Have fun, be safe...

Dan Gill
10-11-2004, 8:38 AM
Personally, I thought the saw just got scared at the size of that pecan tree. I knew it would start when you got home . . .

Tom LaRussa
10-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Personally, I thought the saw just got scared at the size of that pecan tree. I knew it would start when you got home . . .
:eek:

LOL!!!!!!!

I was kinda thinking that myself. Either that or the saw just didn't want to be used by such a rookie. It's a Stihl after all, so it should be expected to have certain standards. ;)

Dan Gill
10-11-2004, 2:31 PM
:eek:

LOL!!!!!!!

I was kinda thinking that myself. Either that or the saw just didn't want to be used by such a rookie. It's a Stihl after all, so it should be expected to have certain standards. ;)

I would never imply that your skill was lacking. It's ALWAYS the tool's fault, right? Of course, in shooting we often say that it's "the nut behind the trigger" that's at fault.
:D