PDA

View Full Version : My First Bowl

Bill Swanson
12-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I have been turning pens, bottle stoppers, ring holders, and other misc stuff for 10 or more years.

I decided to try my hand on a small bowl. I measures 5 inches across.

The wood is some Spalated Oak that I captured from a downed tree in the neighborhood last year.

Just thought I would see what the forum thinks of the project. Any and all comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Bill

Steve Mawson
12-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Bill,
Pretty nice bowl. Turned out well and looks nice, finish looks smooth which can be a little difficult with oak. Just me but in the picture the foot looks a little large but of course that is just me. Keep up the good work.

Kenneth Whiting
12-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I like it. Agree the foot looks a little large for my taste, but overall it looks good. Much better flow than the one I am working on.

David Christopher
12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Bill, thats a very nice looking bowl ( oak can be a challenge to finish ) looks very smooth... make sure you number and date it

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Bill - that is a really pretty bowl! Love the wood and all it's color variations! I agree that in the profile shot - the foot looks a little on the large size but in the photo of the bottom of the bowl - you did a wonderful job of blending the foot into the main body. So, while I am not a fan of using a foot - in this case I think it works.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

David E Keller
12-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Nice wood and finish. I agree with the others about the form and foot. I love the rim embellishment. Nice work.

John Keeton
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
That is some beautiful wood!! Did you add any color, and what is the finish??

Having just played with some oak on some ornaments, I know that the cross grain can be tough! Nice work.

Baxter Smith
12-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Pretty bowl and great color in the wood. Like the rim. Studied the pictures in detail to check out the rim and from the two angles, I wouldn't have even guessed they were the same bowl. A lot smoother than what I have turned in oak!

Bill Swanson
12-19-2009, 5:11 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

The bowl is natural spalted oak, no color added.

The finish is salad bowl finish, 6 coats, the spalting sucked up a lot of the stuff. I wanted to finish it in Walnut oil, but the woodcrafters was out of it.

I am pretty satisified with the salad bowl finish.

My wife has some Phaltzcraft dishes which also have some pretty big feet, decided to go with a foot that was about that same size.

Thanks again.

Bill

Richard Madison
12-19-2009, 5:37 PM
Nice work Bill. Make more bowls!

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2009, 6:36 PM
Really nice bowl. I would sign and date it. Keep it and look back in a year or two. You will be amazed.

Bill Bolen
12-19-2009, 6:38 PM
Very nice bowl Bill.I like the form,finish and some great wood.Superb first effort.Wish my first had been 1/2 as good...Bill...