PDA

View Full Version : You woke me up!

Doug Carpenter
12-19-2009, 8:26 AM
Well,

It has been a crappy five or six years. I had the misfortune of tearing my Rotator cuff in 03. Since then I tore it again and have had 3 surgeries. My shoulder hurts all the time and gives me headaches alot to boot.

I have been a remodeling contractor for 20 years and it has really taken a toll on me. I dread doing projects because It tkes me weeks to get over working for even a day. I have always had employees but in todays economic climate I no longer employ anyone. Not to mention the feeling that the government is going to make being an employer ever more difficult. I am slowly winding down and considering closing my business.

Of course after 20 years of selfemployment and given my injury I would not make a good employee. Honestly the thought sickens me. I am starting a new business as a stockmaker. I will make custom shotgun stocks and do some gunfitting. I have spent 12 years in the clay target arena and I am fortunate to blend two of my loves together in order to make a living.

Untill recently I had lost my enthusiam for woodworking. My brother who is a Creeker had mentiond this forum. I have to say that I love this place. It has reminded me of my love of all things construction. I really enjoy helping people when I can and asking questions when I need to.

I am greatful that the Creek is here and I check in each day.

Doug Carpenter
12-19-2009, 8:28 AM
forgot to subscribe so I'll just reply.

Ted Shrader
12-19-2009, 8:55 AM
Welcome Doug -

The Creek is a good place to hang out and exchange ideas. Maybe some of them will help keep the shoulder pain down.

Regards,
Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the Creek Doug! Wade right in...the water's fine......From beginner to pro.....we are all here willing to exchange information.....and maybe in the process find a few new friends.

Bruce Koch
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Doug, I also have been in the remodeling and cabinetmaking business for 30 years and it takes a toll on the body. I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and had pain afterwards and what helped me was purchasing a hot tub and the pain was gone. just a thought. Bruce

Jim Koepke
12-19-2009, 5:23 PM
Welcome Doug,

Many years ago I had a bad spill off of a bicycle. It did some damage to my right shoulder that one doctor told me was a tear to my rotator cuff.

I have had varying degrees of pain there since. Fortunately, due to another injury that still bothers me from when I was but 8 years old, I am fairly ambidextrous. Still mostly right dominate, but when need be the left side takes over.

It has also been learned how to work to avoid the pain. Sometimes with the injury to my hand, just have to work with pain.

As they say, "life's a b!+@#, then you die." Well, I am one like you that will find different ways or different things to do and not let the b!+@# part get me down.

One of the more famous woodworkers injured his rotator cuff sawing and posted a link to some exercises he does to help build strength in the shoulder area. It is mostly just having the arm straight down with a light weight and slowly lifting it straight out without bending or swinging the arm. My way of doing this is whenever using a #4 plane to give it a few lifts between the tool rack and the work bench. It seems to help a bit.

Good luck with your new endeavors and take care of that shoulder.

jim

Terry Achey
12-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Doug. My wifes suffers daily with shoulder pain from a similar injury. Even wakes her up at night with pain. I really, really wish I could do something for her to help the pain but I can't. She's doing rehab sessions right now to see if that helps before any surgery considerations. It's so easy to reinjure the shoulder by doing simple tasks, too. So, just sending some sympathy your way. ;).

I've also spent over a dozen years on the competitve side of the sporting clays arena. Great sport but I've been shooting less and less and enjoying WW and golf more and more these days. Good luck with the stock building business. I'm thinking of building a flintlock fowler in the not-to-distant future.

Cheers,
Terry

Doug Carpenter
12-22-2009, 8:32 AM
Terry,

Thanks for the note of support. I know exactly what you and your wife are going through. I haven't slept for more and two hours in a row in 5 or 6 years.

Nice to meet a fellow shooter. If it weren't for 7/8 and 3/4 loads and my Bumpbuster I wouldn't be able to shoot at all. I did manage a first in class last week. Boy does that feel good!

I'm going to PM you I might be able to offer some insight for what it worth.:)

Gene Howe
12-22-2009, 9:47 AM
Doug,
I had a bout with arthritis in my shoulder. The Doc prescribed some kind of anti inflammatory meds. (not pain killers) They worked! But, I'd guess medication would not be a long term solution.

Re: your stock making. Would you be using a duplicating machine?

Gene

Doug Carpenter
12-22-2009, 9:56 AM
Glen,

I am on pain killers around the clock. Even though I am sure inflammation is my problem now Motrin and the like don't help at all. Unfortunately I am allergic to Aleeve. I am looking into diets for inflamation because I am afraid the drugs are going to kill me.

I built a duplicator to rough out my stocks. I posted pics of it here a while back. Do you have experience with a duplicator? I could use some advice.

Doug

Gene Howe
12-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Doug,
Might ask about an anti inflammatory medication. Might just work, at least for as long as you are on them.

No, I don't have any experience with duplicators. I am considering building one, though.

Doug Carpenter
12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Are you going to do the Copy Carver?

I can email you pics of mine.

dougcarpenterbuilder@windstream.net