PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Slice a Huge Tree

Lewis Ehrhardt
12-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Due to the recent rains in our area, several huge oak trees have fallen, some as much as 4ft diameter. One has been cut to about an eight or nine foot length. I was wondering, what if I welded several chain saw blades together. Naturally, it would take a powerful saw to push them. I'd like to get some slabs, perhaps, as much as three or four inches thick. Any suggestions? Thanks Lewis

keith ouellette
12-18-2009, 11:53 PM
I use a farm boss a lot and I'm pretty sure that idea (the welding blades together thing) won't work but i bet you knew that:cool:

4 feet dia. thats big. none of the rental shops around us rent anything bigger than 20" saws, one used ot have a 25" stihl but it was like a $1500 saw and they stopped renting it.

If you can find a 25" saw to rent (trust me it will be a beast)

and you stand the log up on end, cut down each edge as deep in as you can get on two opposite sides to square up 2 sides (that wood isn't good to use antway If what I read is true)

then it wont be 4' across any more.

Then eac slab you cut off will have to be done in to cuts. One from each side of the log.

The first one will be hard to do. You will have to get on top and plunge the tip in straight down , vertically, and and slowly push the bar down to get the saw horizontal again.

after you reach horizontal lift the saw up at an angle and plunge the tip of the bar in and work the saw back down to horizontal.

Keep doing that and it will make it a little easier to get the first cut done.

Then rest

Go to the other side and you'll probably be able to go straight down on the second cut.

Order a cross cut chain. it would be worth the money.

Be super carefull of kick back. I mean super care full.

Glen Butler
12-19-2009, 1:31 AM
Due to the recent rains in our area, several huge oak trees have fallen, some as much as 4ft diameter. One has been cut to about an eight or nine foot length. I was wondering, what if I welded several chain saw blades together. Naturally, it would take a powerful saw to push them. I'd like to get some slabs, perhaps, as much as three or four inches thick. Any suggestions? Thanks Lewis

See if there is a mill in your area that could cut it up for you.

Paul Atkins
12-19-2009, 1:35 AM
We used to use a 54" Alaskan mill with twin Huskys - What a workout! On one Claro walnut log we had to cut the sides off to get the mill to clear. An all day project - but what a haul. Bandsaw mill is the way to go if you can arrange it.

Carroll Courtney
12-19-2009, 8:03 AM
Since the wood is free,save yourself some grief and take them to a mill or have the mill come to you.I think that you will be surprise as to how much wood you will get out of the trees you have on the ground---Carroll

Myk Rian
12-19-2009, 8:12 AM
There are videos on Youtube about using gunpowder to rip oak trees in half.
If you were seriously considering welding chainsaw blades together, then you had better give up the idea of getting the wood before you get killed.

Ed Bath
12-19-2009, 8:58 AM
Contact Peterson Sawmill or Lucas Sawmill. They both sell swing blade mills that can slab huge trees and should be glad to refer you to mill owners in your area.

I get all of my wood from storm damage and tree services using a Lucas 618 mill. It is portable and you don't have to move the logs.

If you are looking to get four foot wide slabs, you will need some support equipment like a forklift or a tractor. Slabs that big will be very heavy. Figure about five pounds per board foot!

Ed

Ryan Fee
12-19-2009, 9:15 AM
4' Diameter is beyond the capabilities of most portable bandsaw mills. It is, however, well within the capabilities of most swing-blade mills. Both Peterson and Lucas offer dedicated slabbing attachments for their mills, if wide slabs are what you're after. You may want to try contacting either manufacturer to see if they can put you in touch with a sawyerin your area.

Mike Cruz
12-19-2009, 9:17 AM
3-4" slabs 3 to 4 feet in diameter 8 to 9 feet long seem unbelievably heavy. You might want to keep those dimensions down a bit.

I concur that taking it to a mill might be your best best. Lot of work involved with cutting that up yourself, especially if you aren't really set up for it.

To answer your original question (so easy for us to get off topic...) I don't think that the welding the bars together thing is a great idea. I don't specifically know why not, just makes me scrunch up my nose, and shake my head "no".

Good luck with milling it. Keep us up to date with how it goes. Some pics would be nice, too.

Mark Levitski
12-19-2009, 9:27 AM
We used to use a 54" Alaskan mill with twin Huskys - What a workout! On one Claro walnut log we had to cut the sides off to get the mill to clear. An all day project - but what a haul. Bandsaw mill is the way to go if you can arrange it.

Ditto for the "workout" w/the big Alaskan mill. We recently got a 72" double-ended bar and put two 372 Husky's on it to slab up a huge soft maple crotch. Besides the saws, it cost around $500 for the mill, bar, chain loop, etc. We had one 372 and borrowed the second. It absolutely works well, but there is a learning curve and some fine points that can frustrate. We needed to go with a long Alaskan due to the size, even though a local guy just bought a Peterson w/ a slabbing attachment. His new mill would only slab to 50", and we wanted to keep the live edge. By all means hire a bandsaw mill IF the diameter of the tree is small enough. We have used our local Woodmizer guy to great success.

And yes, be sure to cut them thick enough to allow for planing and finishing when dry. Any warp during drying can take away a lot of that thickness when you do go to plane. We cut to 3 1/2".

Scott T Smith
12-19-2009, 9:59 AM
Bandsaw mill is the way to go if you can arrange it.

I respectfully disagree. There are not many band mills that can handle a 48" diameter log. Most peak out around 30". Not to mention that a 9' long, 48" diameter red oak log will weigh about 3 and a half tons. Typical band mills can't handle the weight or even turn the log, not to mention that it won't clear the throat of the mill.

If you do it yourself, do not try to weld bars together; you will encounter all sorts of problems.

Bailey's sells longer bars and chain. If you choose to do it yourself, you'll need a very powerful head (or two) on your chainsaw. There is a special ripping chain available for slabbing; it works better than standard chain.

Probably 95% of those who do slabbing on large logs use either a swing blade mill with a dedicated slabber, or an Alaskan chainsaw mill with one or two heads. The closest dedicated slabber that I know of to you is Kyle Edwards in Iron Station, NC. I have one, but it is not currently operational.

Try to avoid any pith wood in your slabs - it is unstable and will severely crack.

Jim Holman
12-19-2009, 5:35 PM
Lewis,

I am right down the road in Ridgeville. I would do a search for bandsaw mills and have one come to the tree. I know there are some in Bamberg, Florence and Simpsonville. Good luck