PDA

View Full Version : Just broke a Tri-Master after 2 months

Eric Meier
12-18-2009, 9:52 PM
Today was going great, until I was resawing a little 1 1/2" tall piece of bloodwood with my 1/2" Tri-Master bandsaw blade, and it broke. What gives? :confused:

It broke right on the weld too, which is the kicker.

It was acting a bit strange on the bloodwood, because if I fed the wood in too fast, the piece would almost start to "dance" up and down the fence, and get sort of jittery. I don't exactly know how to describe it, but it seems odd given all of the downward pressure that the blade must be exerting on the wood for it to start to ride/shake upward on the fence.

Anyhow, do I have any sort of recourse on the blade, given it is still sharp, and only about 2 1/2 months old? I bought it online from Kaufman Co. I thought I was getting a good deal, but since it broke right on the weld, I'm not so sure about the quality of the distributor...

Could I have it rewelded locally? It got a little bit bent up when it broke too, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to get it back to normal. What are my options?

george wilson
12-18-2009, 10:58 PM
We do not know your location,so can't offer help on re welding. If you use it much,a blade that old could be dull.

Andrew Joiner
12-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Eric,
Some bands are warranted if they break at the weld. Call Kaufman. I think Timberwolf's welds guaranteed. The blades Iturra welds are guaranteed on the weld and they repair the bent area AND pay shipping!

Eric Meier
12-18-2009, 11:53 PM
We do not know your location,so can't offer help on re welding. If you use it much,a blade that old could be dull.
The blade saw very light use, and being carbide tipped, it was still quite sharp. I'm in Minnesota: it looks like there is a Fastenal near my house that might be able to reweld it.

But my question was not really where to have it rewelded, but rather, whether or not it is even fixable at all.

This is just a big disappointment because of the timing of it all. I'm trying to make some Christmas presents within the next week, and I use this bandsaw for practically everything. To have my main blade break pretty much shuts everything down. Since its the weekend, most places are closed, and this was supposed to be the time that I was going to get everything done.

Anyhow, I checked the blade again, and there's a few fairly bad bends/kinks in it. Is this blade even fixable? Even if it could be re-welded, what are the odds that it could be straightened out to cut like before?

Ed Kilburn
12-19-2009, 1:41 PM
Eric,
Give Kaufman a call, I'm sure they will help you out. I kinked a new blade real bad, my fault. One call to Kaufman and they cut out about 2 feet and replaced weld in a new section, very quick turn around. I bought another one just in case I screw up again, so I don't have to put on non carbide blade, love those Tri- master.
BTW Kaufman has always been the lowest price, I could find and I never had any trouble with their service or support.

Johnny Kleso
12-19-2009, 1:46 PM
It should not break at the weld..
Contact the seller and or maker and ask them if they can do something for you...

My last job was for the biggest band saw seller for meat in the USA many blades are welded overseas and quality is not job one..

harry strasil
12-19-2009, 7:46 PM
Rule #1, always buy blades in pairs in case something like this happens. VOE

Eric Meier
01-07-2010, 7:20 PM
Just thought I'd give an update: I called Kaufman a couple weeks ago and they told me to send it back to them and they would either reweld or replace the blade free of charge.

A few days ago I got a brand new TriMaster in the mail. :D