PDA

View Full Version : Freeborn shaper cutter internet sites?

Paul Greathouse
12-18-2009, 9:12 PM
I have found a shaper cutter raised panel profile from Freeborn that I like. There are two internet sites that have it cheaper than the Freeborn site, they are Woodshed Tools Inc. and Connecticut Saw and Tool. Their prices are identical. Woodshed is closer to me so their shipping may be less. Has anyone had dealings with Woodshed or Connecticut?

Jay Brewer
12-19-2009, 8:12 AM
Hi Paul, I have purchased Freeborn from Wood Shed a couple times. I have never had to use their customer service so I cant comment on that. Everything that I ordered shipped directly from Freeborn. Because of all the different combinations of cutters ( bore size, profiles, ect) I have never heard of a vendor that keeps this stuff is stock. I always received them in less than a week. Hope this helps.

Paul Greathouse
12-19-2009, 9:05 PM
Thanks Jay that helps, I had never heard of them until doing a google search.

Peter Quinn
12-19-2009, 9:26 PM
Paul, I use CT Saw and Tool because they are local to me, and they are the shop my boss uses at work for all knife grinding and profile knife fabrication. They are a good outfit capable of sharpening and making pretty much any tooling required. I use them for a number of things.

I guess for stock Freeborn patterns price is pretty much the bottom line. In any event i can tell you that CT Saw and tool is a real brick and mortar outfit with a solid local reputation.

Glen Butler
12-20-2009, 6:21 AM
I thought I would check out woodshed tools to see what they are offering. I am curious what bits you are looking at. From what I have seen thus far, woodshed tools is considerably more expensive than list on freeborn's site.

Paul Greathouse
12-20-2009, 8:39 AM
I don't understand the price difference because its so far out of line but here are links to the two sites. The price difference is roughly $75.

Woodshed
http://www.router-bits-shaper-cutters.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=1355&Product_Category_ID=180&Product_Group_ID=13

Freeborn site price list, look for MC-54-007.
http://www.freeborntool.com/PRICELIST2007PDF.pdf

Cameron Reddy
12-21-2009, 1:02 AM
I've purchased from http://www.ballewsawandtool.com/.

Paul Greathouse
12-27-2009, 6:41 PM
I ended up getting the shaper cutter from Tool Shed and it was drop shipped from from Freeborn. I purchased it online last Sunday night and it arrived on Christmas Eve. Now if the Freud rail and stile bead set will get here tomorrow I will be in business.

Here's a shot of the new profile on the right compared to the regular Ogee profile on the left. I like the new profile better. I just ran 3 sides of a board and wiped some satin poly on it for the picture. I can't wait till I can make some actual panels with it.

Here's a shot of the cutter mounted in the shaper with a new pair of fences installed. It cuts unbelievable well compared to the Ogee cutter that was on the shaper when I bought it.

Cameron Reddy
12-27-2009, 7:29 PM
I agree. Much better profile.

So how much did you pay?

Peter Quinn
12-27-2009, 9:55 PM
Very nice Paul. I do love Freeborn cutters. That is a great panel profile.

Erik Christensen
12-28-2009, 9:14 AM
to see that we all have different tastes - I like the Ogee better - for the kind of wood that I like to use I prefer the wood color/grain to be the eye catcher and not the profile - but great that you found a cutter you really like. I love my shaper.

great job on the fence setup too - that should give you zero tear-out even on the end grain pass

Paul Greathouse
12-28-2009, 9:52 AM
The cutter price was $175.99 and the shipping was $10.95 so it came out to $186.94.

Jeff Heath
12-28-2009, 10:15 AM
I've been using that profile from Freeborn for years. Just remember to beef up your panel stock a bit. I'd recommend using 7/8" instead of 3/4", if you already haven't decided to do that. This pattern cuts a deeper profile than most, and will leave you with a very thin tongue, thinner than the usual 1/4". This can easily cause panels to rattle a bit inside a door.

The extra 1/8" allows for this. If you don't want the panels to protrude out past the rails and stiles of the door, then you should also use 7/8" stock for them, as well. This thickness has allowed me to make attractive doors that keep the raised panel flush with the rails and stiles.

Jeff

Paul Greathouse
12-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the picture Jeff,

I can see that this profile looks just as good in lighter colored wood as it does in the dark Black Walnut that I am using. Thanks for the thickness tip also.

Cameron Reddy
12-28-2009, 12:26 PM
I really like that profile. Looks like I'll be ordering a cutter! Thanks for the good pictures!

Brian Peters
12-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Ditto what Peter said above, CT saw and tool is a great business - used them for quite some time for sharpening and purchasing tooling (blades and cutters). No doubt wherever you purchase the tooling Freeborn makes top notch cutters. Thick carbide tips that allow many sharpening and superior quality above the rest. You pay a premium but its worth it.