PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the snow

Jim Kountz
12-18-2009, 8:52 PM
Well its 8:50 PM here in Augusta, WV and it just started to snow. We are in the 12-24 range depending on what forecast you want to believe. More later....

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2009, 8:55 PM
Welcome to winter! I put my studded snow tires on my company van Monday. I only had to wait 3 hours to have it done!:o

Bruce Page
12-18-2009, 8:55 PM
Get the camera out!

Steve Mawson
12-18-2009, 8:56 PM
Glad it is your turn, we had about 12" on the 8th. Then the wind blew that night and moved it all around. Big drifts on the drive, had to use a scoop shovel to move it Wednesday morning. Starting to melt a little today. First day above freezing in about two weeks.

Dave Lehnert
12-18-2009, 9:04 PM
Here in Cincinnati we are just going to get clipped by the storm. 2" to 4" here.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-18-2009, 9:53 PM
Jim - stay warm and safe! We're supposed to get the tail end of that storm, and we are it's supposed to be 12", but maybe a lot more if some weather system doesn't do what it's supposed to.

David Christopher
12-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Jim, no snow here............still waiting

Craig D Peltier
12-18-2009, 10:43 PM
We have had about .5 inches this season so far. I want it to snow! At least I will be in Boston area soon so maybe get to see some.

Matt Meiser
12-18-2009, 10:49 PM
We've gotten next to nothing. I think my co-workers in St. Louis have gotten more. And one coworker in VA is supposed to get nailed.

jerry nazard
12-19-2009, 1:41 AM
12 - 16" predicted for here. Merry White Christmas.... OUCH!!!

Paul Atkins
12-19-2009, 2:18 AM
We got down to 18 last week - pretty cold for central valley and lots of plants look melted. Good thing I picked the last of the tomatoes two weeks ago. Right now the geese are flying over and the great horned owls are hooting. The fog came in today for awhile and the hawks and mocking birds are still acitve. The bluebirds came through, but I swore I saw robins taking baths in the puddles. Some day I'd like to go see a real winter up north. Not much of a white Christmas here unless you consider fog.

Rob Robinson VT
12-19-2009, 7:46 AM
We're only supposed to get 3-5" here in the lower Hudson Valley but Long Island is forecast to get hit hard and they've already cancelled most afternoon flights out of all three major area airports. Right now it's just cold and cloudy.

Baxter Smith
12-19-2009, 8:04 AM
About 6 inches of wet stuff and still falling here in Lower Delaware. The pines and cedars are starting to droop!

Jeff Willard
12-19-2009, 8:05 AM
8:00 AM and about 8" on the ground just south of D.C., and no end in sight. They're calling for another 12 hrs. of this. The hot air blowing in from the north is having no effect. Just waitin' on Glowball Worming to kick in.

Jim Kountz
12-19-2009, 9:01 AM
Over a foot of snow and still going strong here. My back can already feel the effects of shoveling and I havent even started yet!!

Paul Ryan
12-19-2009, 9:22 AM
Good for you guys, I hope the rest of the white stuff goes your way this winter. Have fun digging out. Is it suposed to get cold after the storm? Usually does here. We have already had 2 mornings when it was -15 air temp already. The 20's we have had the last couple of days almost feels like summer. Almost ready to get out the pool. Good luck stay warm.

Rob Cunningham
12-19-2009, 9:42 AM
It's been snowing here since I got up this morning. We're supposed to to be in the 12" - 18" range according to Accu-weather:confused:

Belinda Barfield
12-19-2009, 9:47 AM
I can recall two times that it snowed in my hometown when I was growing up. Both times it snowed just enough, and stuck around long enough, for my mother to make something she called "snow cream". It probably isn't safe to eat snow these days (it probably wasn't then but I survived) but if anyone wants to send me a big ol' Mason jar full of snow cream I be right obliged!:D

We've just dropped down into daytime highs in the upper 50s and got lots of wet stuff yesterday, but it was the melted kind.

Myk Rian
12-19-2009, 9:54 AM
It seems all the low pressure areas have moved south this year. Meaning Ohio and parts south are getting nailed.
1" here last night. Still haven't had to fire up the snow thrower.

David Christopher
12-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Over a foot of snow and still going strong here. My back can already feel the effects of shoveling and I havent even started yet!!

Jim, I have a extra room you can stay in for the winter and a decent sized shop to play in

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Jim, I have a extra room you can stay in for the winter and a decent sized shop to play in

Dave,

You forgot to tell him to bring the rest of the band.:rolleyes:

David Christopher
12-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Dave,

You forgot to tell him to bring the rest of the band.:rolleyes:

He can bring um all.....the more the merryer

Carlos Alden
12-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome to winter! I put my studded snow tires on my company van Monday. I only had to wait 3 hours to have it done!:o

Aw, Ken, you don't really get snow down there, do you? Up here in Spokane we look at Lewiston as being right smack in the banana belt.

Carlos

Scott Shepherd
12-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Getting blasted here. I've seen a fair amount of snow, but I've never seen snow like this. It's very deceptive. Last night it was very fine flakes, not blizzard like, just steady fine flakes. I cleaned the walk and my truck, went inside, came out about 5 minutes later, you couldn't see anything I did. Brushed it all back off the truck, cleaned the sidewalk. 5 minutes later. Covered. I rode to the dump and it hadn't started snowing. Literally 15 minutes later, the roofs on houses were starting to get covered, yet if you stood out in it, it seemed like it was hardly snowing.

We're at the 12-18" level now in this area, with probably another 8-10" on the way. If I heard the numbers right, this may be the biggest mid December snowfall in our city's recorded weather history. If not, it's in the top few.

Rob Robinson VT
12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Here's a pic a friend who lives just outside of DC just posted on another forum a few minutes ago, lookin' pretty nasty down there. Not a single flake here in the lower Hudson Valley yet but a really big flock of Canadian geese just landed on the river (and I suppose they'll be leaving their usual presents on the riverwalk!):

Keith Christopher
12-19-2009, 1:20 PM
Here is one from Baltimore. Shot from the front door.

Jim Kountz
12-19-2009, 3:19 PM
18" and still getting hammered (with snow that is). Ok the novelty has definitely worn off of this stuff now. Oh well got a warm shop, 10 pen kits and 4 dry bowls to finish turn so what the heck right!!

Scott Shepherd
12-19-2009, 4:22 PM
Seconds half of the storm never did anything today. Started out, but then just died. No accumulation throughout the day today, so far, which is good. I'm tired of digging front wheel drive cars out of the snow.

Fred Belknap
12-19-2009, 9:08 PM
Here in central WV we got about a foot. Worst thing it was a wet sticky snow and it has broke down a lot of trees. My electricity went off around 7am and it probably won't be on for a few days. I had to go get some gas for the generator this afternoon and the road was covered with tree, someone had used a chain saw and had a one way road through them. The last time something like this happened we were without electric for a week.

Bill Clifton
12-19-2009, 9:29 PM
We don't have snow in Kentucky, but we don't have our NYC kid (30) home either. He has been cancelled 3 times (3 days).

Wife is torn up.

Brian Ashton
12-19-2009, 9:42 PM
I've been ankle deep in some white stuff but it's not snow. Been 50 miles off the coast of Queensland on a island chasing turtles and dodging mutton birds for the past 2 weeks. Average temp has been around 30 Celsius. Had my time in the cold stuff of Canukistan...

John Coloccia
12-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm in Connecticut. I've lived on the Northeast my whole life practically (I spent 4 years in California, but I was in the high dessert and we'd occasionally get snow, so that doesn't count!). Grew up in Yonkers, NY. Grad school in Scranton, PA. Spent many years in New Hampshire. Lots of time up in Maine. You get the picture.

So this time, I'm really really really ready for the snow. Plow is on the ATV. New gas, new battery, all the lights work...even the high beams. All nice and tuned up. Driveways are clear, no obstacles in the way. I have a plowing plan layed out, know exactly where every flake of snow is going to end up. Shovels have been checked and are ready. Deck furniture is put away for the winter. Industrial strength leaf blower is put away. 200lbs of ice melt is ready to go. Work jacket, gloves, hat, scarves etc are ready and waiting in my shop.

I have a wonderful soup going on the stove (bones came from awesome chicken my wife made tonight). Fire is blazing in the fireplace, the whole house is a toasty 70 degrees (LOVE my Jotul insert).

In my 36 years on this planet, I've never been more ready for a snow storm. Mother nature, do your absolute worst. I'm ready for you!

I'm guessing it's going to completely miss us.

John Coloccia
12-20-2009, 1:31 AM
Look at that....it came after all!

Tim Morton
12-20-2009, 7:38 AM
I'm guessing it's going to completely miss us.

my daughter is on Groton...she called last night and said it was coming down pretty good...expecting close to 2 feet.

Not even a flurry up here in vermont...i think ours will be coming later in the week.

Barry Nelson
12-20-2009, 2:07 PM
I have relations visiting from Hubbardston, lolling about in the sun for a few days,hope all your loved ones make it home for the Christmas break.:)

Jim Kountz
12-20-2009, 4:12 PM
He can bring um all.....the more the merryer

Careful what you wish for, us bluegrass pickers are just goofy enough to load up and do something like that!!:D:D

We ended up with 20+" of the white stuff. I havent seen a plow yet today so it looks like no work tomorrow for me. Good and bad there I guess. Nice to have the extra day off but it doesnt pay very well!!:eek::eek:

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-20-2009, 5:23 PM
20"...wow.

I just got back in from the 'cleanup'. I think we ended up with about 15", but drifting made it much worse in places. Plus, I had a few 'issues' today. Lost an auger shear bolt, and had to dig one up (thankfully, I had one). My pull cord broke, so I was dependent on the electric start (no problem, unless I was far away from the garage when it konked out); me neighbor's plow service saw fit to plow his snow across the street and onto my yard - covering the sidewalk and almost the fire hydrant too (they came and cleaned it up some, but sometimes I really do wonder what people are thinking) - and I always clean them out, because kids walk our sidwalk to the bus stop, and the hydrant - well, that's a given. All in all though, I like the snow - it makes for a nice change, at least for a while.

Baxter Smith
12-20-2009, 6:45 PM
Only about 12" here in lower Delaware. About 24" forty miles north.
Restored a 49 Farmall H a few years ago with a trip loader. Should be just the ticket. Starts great at 70 but doesn't like 30. In other words, I feel a little beat tonight!

Rob Robinson VT
10-24-2010, 6:39 AM
Imagine my surprise yesterday morning when I woke up in Vermont to find a thin layer of the white stuff covering everything! It had all melted by 9am and the temp eventually got up to around 50 but this is the earliest I can recall a first snowfall at our elevation (only 1,650 feet).

ray hampton
10-24-2010, 12:00 PM
was that a lake effect snow ?

Bill LaPointe
10-24-2010, 8:00 PM
It was 78 here today. Having been raised in the midwest, I LOVE the south!!

Craig D Peltier
10-25-2010, 12:33 AM
I saw the first Mtn snows here today. Snow level was around 4000 I guess. So the passes were blanketed a bit.
Coldest I have had was maybe 46 for high so far and 31 for low.

Norman Hitt
10-25-2010, 1:11 AM
Snow,..... hmmm...... gotta admit I haven't watched the news or weather for the past week so all this snow talk is a big surprise since it was 82* here today,(Sun) and the forecast for tomorrow, (Mon) is 89*. Guess I had forgotten what time of year it is getting to be.:eek: I wouldn't mind a little cooler weather, but it's OK though, since I absolutely HATE the idea of ever having to shovel snow out in the cold again.:D I'm glad most of ya'll like that stuff though, so I'll just turn on the TV and enjoy the Snow "Pictures" with you if that's ok?:D

Tom Winship
10-25-2010, 8:38 AM
It is not going above 90 here today, only 89. Enjoyed a couple of weeks of Indian summer, now back to summer.

Steve Griffin
10-25-2010, 9:51 AM
I knew this thread would bring out the "I hate snow" folks. We'll have to check in with them in July, when they live in a bug infested, Dante inspired hell of flesh melting heat ;)

We love snow around here. Here's what I do before work some days....

-Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Steve,

Living in the "Banana Belt" we don't ski before work very often......

I had the pleasure of seeing the Swan Valley near you in August. Gorgeous country!

BTW....I like snow but we often don't see it here in the bottom of the Snake and Clearwater River canyons for a couple of years at a time. We can climb up out of the canyon if we need a snow fix, however.