PDA

View Full Version : A minor rant.

Jason Roehl
03-28-2003, 7:53 AM
Yesterday, I was getting together some tools at home to do some mortar patching at work. So I grabbed my trusty-dusty mortar paddle. Now, I had always used this in a 1/2" drill because it didn't fit in a 3/8" chuck. But, I was to be working on a lift and didn't want to mess with an extension cord--my 14.4V cordless drill (brand will remain nameless) seemed to be a possibility.

I thought to myself, "I'll just check to see if it fits, I've never actually tried it in THIS drill." Didn't fit. Now I get creative. I thought I would just grab the appropriate size of nut driver, chuck that in the drill and then slip that on the shaft of the paddle to drive it. Brilliant. So I grab the largest driver in that particular set--too big. Next one down--ooh! It fits the paddle! Happy day! Hmmm...I wonder what size it is? I hold it up to the light, and...IT'S THREE-EIGHTHS!!!

Now, why on God's green earth does a 3/8" hex shaft not fit in a 3/8" chuck (I looked...it even says it's 3/8" on the chuck itself)? Answer me that!

Lee Schierer
03-28-2003, 8:58 AM
3/8 hex stock measures 3/8" across the flats. Across the points it will measure .433. A 3/8" chuck is designed to hold 3/8" round; therefore a .433 diameter will not fit in it.

Jason Roehl
03-28-2003, 9:27 AM
Sounds like a good answer to me, Lee...that possibility never crossed my mind. Guess it's not so much a rant then as an admission of my ignorance! :cool: