PDA

View Full Version : Turning Redwood

lynn smith
12-18-2009, 7:02 PM
Anyone here ever turn redwood?
Thoughts, concerns, complaints,
I have a large amount of redwood and am making slabs and lumber, but also thought I would cut some bowl blanks.
Thanks

David Christopher
12-18-2009, 7:15 PM
Lynn, Ive turned redwood, it cut really well sanded easy and finished with no problems..I suggest to go for it

Ken Whitney
12-19-2009, 8:16 AM
I've turned a bit.

As David noted it is easy to work.

The sawdust can cause a blue-black stain if it contacts moisture.

Ken

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Redwood tends to produce very, very fine dust, which makes it more hazardous to your lungs. Use caution.

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I agree with Malcolm. The redwood dust is really fine stuff and caused me some breathing problems especially a sinus infection. Of course this was back when I use those little paper masks. So use a good mask. Turns nice and finishes really nice.

David Hullum
12-19-2009, 7:00 PM
Yes I agree wear a mask. I turned a pen the wood was soft but finished and sanded up nicely.

Paul Atkins
12-21-2009, 2:15 AM
I just found this picture of me turning redwood 15 years ago. These were ballusters for the Bidwell Mansion restoration, here in town. There was 50' of railing and some rotten spindles to be replaced. The wood was from the state and was old growth redwood in about 12"x12" and long beams, cut many years ago. It was nice to turn, but soft. A dust mask and dust collection is a must along with frequent showers. I always hate to cut down a 1200 year old tree though.

Wayne Jolly
12-21-2009, 5:07 PM
I am really a newbie at turning, but I have turned maybe 3 pieces of redwood. From what I remember, the wood isn't soft. It's SOFT! The pieces I used were the softest wood I have ever used. I could easily dent it with my finger. Tools had to be very sharp and sharpened often. But I was still satisfied with my results.

Oddly, the first piece I turned was from a section of tree trunk that was in my yard. It had been laying on the ground for several years and was still wet with rain water. It was VERY soft and had a few big worm holes in it. I was not able to finish turning it because I was afraid that it was about to come apart on me. But it was done "enough". After some time drying I put it in the oven at 200 deg for a while to make sure any little beaties were dead and it is still on a shelf in the kitchen. Use it every day to put miscellaneous crap in. It ain't purdy, but it is useful.

xeddog

lynn smith
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks all ya all, appreciate the come back.