PDA

View Full Version : wooden plates for lazy susan

keith ouellette
12-18-2009, 7:00 PM
These are just made out of scrap pine. I made the circles on the TS and used a router suspended over the plate to carve out everything but a 1/4" high 1/4" lip around the outside edge.

I only did a fast job of finishing them but they look way better then in the picture. I must have had the flash on because in person they are the same color

Marshall Border
12-18-2009, 8:10 PM
Keith they look good , this would make someone a good present .........:)

keith ouellette
12-18-2009, 8:18 PM
They are small ones for in the cabinet. I guess I should have mentioned that.

I'm going to make more. When instaling I realized even if it were wider than the door opening I could tilt it on its side to get it in. so

Bigger = more storage= make 2 more that are bigger.

John Keeton
12-18-2009, 8:37 PM
Pretty neat, Keith!! Interesting method of making them, and if I understand the method correctly, you did a great job of cleaning up the area where you used the router.

keith ouellette
12-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Pretty neat, Keith!! Interesting method of making them, and if I understand the method correctly, you did a great job of cleaning up the area where you used the router.

About 10% of the chips made it to the dust collector. The rest are all over the place out of the picture;)

Joshua Layne
12-19-2009, 12:43 AM
stupid question, but how does one go about making circles on a table saw? I've always used a circle jig for my router (more for cutouts than making rounds, but you do one and you get the other... every time)

Thanks,
Josh

John Thompson
12-19-2009, 9:02 AM
Nice job Keith...

keith ouellette
12-19-2009, 6:57 PM
stupid question, but how does one go about making circles on a table saw? I've always used a circle jig for my router (more for cutouts than making rounds, but you do one and you get the other... every time)

Thanks,
Josh

There is a video on SMC someplace I saw when I wasn't even looking for it.

Basically I took a square of wood. Found the center and put a small hole there.

Then I took a piece of plywood with a miter slot runner attached to it and put it on the ts table.

Then I measured from the blade to 7" (the radius I wanted) and put a nait in the plywood at that point.

I placed the square of wood onto the nail so it could spin full circle and slid the plywood (with a miter bar attached) forward to cut of each corner of my wood square.

I kept cutting corners till I could just spin the former square around and the saw blade cut everything nice and smooth.

perfect circle and it is actually easier to do than it sounds.