PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Please

Mike Goetzke
12-18-2009, 3:21 PM
I have Vista & IE8. I like using Google toolbar & bookmarks with IE8.

1) all of the sudden if I open a new tab my google bookmarks aren't available unless I log into google again.

2) the bookmarks do work on my home (gmail) page.

3) On any tab if I go to any bookmark, like SMC, my bookmarks aren't available again.

I checked all the google settings and made sure the tabbed browsing was set and even reseting IE8 settings. Only solution I have found (at my sons suggestion) was to load FireFox - it's tabs work fine with google bookmarks.

Thanks,

Mike

Sean Troy
12-18-2009, 3:32 PM
I'm not sure if Vista is causing the problem or not but use Google Chrome as your browser. It's the fastest one out there right now by far.

Mike Goetzke
12-18-2009, 4:09 PM
I'm not sure if Vista is causing the problem or not but use Google Chrome as your browser. It's the fastest one out there right now by far.

I'll give it a try - come to think of it some of the problems started after and automatic MS update. I swear MS makes changes to make google not function properly.

Chuck Wintle
12-18-2009, 4:42 PM
I'll give it a try - come to think of it some of the problems started after and automatic MS update. I swear MS makes changes to make google not function properly.

Firefox is a much better browser than IE8 IMHO. Why not try it?

Paul Atkins
12-18-2009, 7:30 PM
We just got a laptop with Win7 on it and IE was giving us problems, I went to Chrome and all (those) problems vanished. Still use the Mac for 80% of everything else - so much smoother.

Jim Koepke
12-18-2009, 9:35 PM
Best solution might be to get a Mac.

jim

Dave Johnson29
12-20-2009, 9:53 AM
but use Google Chrome as your browser. It's the fastest one out there right now by far.

Sean, I would beg to differ on the speed and Firefox, but more importantly I assume you have carefully read the ULA for chrome.

Sean Troy
12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Sean, I would beg to differ on the speed and Firefox, but more importantly I assume you have carefully read the ULA for chrome.

Hi Dave, Chrome, at least on my computer with cable internet is way faster than Firefox and IE 8 has just been lousy in my opinion. I like Fire Fox and all it can do but until it works faster for me, I'll stay with what is faster on this computer. As far as the ULA, I doubt it's any different than the rest, just more honest :) I suppose with all the different settings one can and do use on their computers, what ever makes you enjoy using the internet more is what you should go with. IMO. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Pat Germain
12-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Google Chrome and Firefox do indeed rock. But if you want to troubleshoot your IE:

- Download Ad-Aware and Malware Bytes. Install both apps and update the files for both. Scan your entire drive with both apps and remove any and all malicious files

- In IE, go to to Tools --> Internet Options and click the Delete button. Check every box and click the Delete button. This will clear your cache. I have to do this occasionally or I get strange behavior from IE.

- Install any IE updates or patches from Microsoft. There's always a bug somewhere in IE. Sometimes Microsoft will actually admit it and fix it.

Dave Johnson29
12-20-2009, 4:46 PM
As far as the ULA, I doubt it's any different than the rest

:) Hmmm, you might want to check item 5 on this list...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150585-2/googles_chrome_7_reasons_for_it_and_7_reasons_agai nst_it.html

Sean Troy
12-20-2009, 5:22 PM
:) Hmmm, you might want to check item 5 on this list...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150585-2/googles_chrome_7_reasons_for_it_and_7_reasons_agai nst_it.html

I have no problem with that. It still doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Curt Harms
12-29-2009, 1:30 AM

The old mantra at Microsoft:
DOS isn't done `til Lotus won't run

The new manta at Microsoft:
I.E. isn't done `til Google won't run

;)