PDA

View Full Version : 1023slw

russell lusthaus
12-18-2009, 1:56 PM
Been working up the savings to purchase the 1023SLW and have been watching the Grizzley sales. Just about ready to pull the trigger and I see that Grizzley has the X model, the 5HP model, listed for the exact same price as the 3 HP model.

Is there any reason why I would not take the 5HP model over the 3HP? Do the 5HP models cost more to operate or maintain? Is there some other downside I am not thinking of?

Rick Moyer
12-18-2009, 2:06 PM
I would check the required circuitry. The 5 HP may need bigger wiring/outlet/breaker. The manuals are available for veiwing on Grizzly's website.

russell lusthaus
12-18-2009, 3:02 PM
The 5HP model would need a 30 amp circuit and the 3HP model only a 20. Since I need to run the new line anyway, this difference is not so important in the grand scheme of things.

Jason White
12-18-2009, 4:11 PM
Make sure it is wired for "single phase" and not "3-phase."

By the way -- I have the 1023SLW, but with the 3HP motor. I can't imagine ever needing more power.

Jason

Been working up the savings to purchase the 1023SLW and have been watching the Grizzley sales. Just about ready to pull the trigger and I see that Grizzley has the X model, the 5HP model, listed for the exact same price as the 3 HP model.

Is there any reason why I would not take the 5HP model over the 3HP? Do the 5HP models cost more to operate or maintain? Is there some other downside I am not thinking of?

russell lusthaus
12-18-2009, 4:14 PM
Believe it or not, Grizzley has the 5HP single and three phase units on sale. The 3 phase is more money then the single phase, but the single phase 3Hp and single phase 5HP units are the same price.

Wouldent i just get the more powerful saw for the same money?

Brodie Brickey
12-18-2009, 4:27 PM
Get the 5 HP. You won't see any difference between the two unless you're fully extending the blade and cutting really dense wood.

russell lusthaus
12-18-2009, 4:39 PM
Jason

Do you have the saw on a mobile base? If yes, how did you deal with the legs which support the router table?

Steve Griffin
12-18-2009, 5:06 PM
Having used the 3hp 1023, I cannot under any circumstance imagine needing more power. Thing has so much power it's really hard to tell when my blades are dull.

So other considerations are more important--cost of wire and breaker, durability of 3hp vs 5hp etc. and of course safety--if you bind a blade and get a kickback how fast do you want to get hurt more?

-Steve

Jason White
12-18-2009, 5:13 PM
Can't think of a good reason not to!

Jason

Believe it or not, Grizzley has the 5HP single and three phase units on sale. The 3 phase is more money then the single phase, but the single phase 3Hp and single phase 5HP units are the same price.

Wouldent i just get the more powerful saw for the same money?

Jason White
12-18-2009, 5:18 PM
I never installed the support legs on mine. You probably won't need to, either. Especially since you'll have the heavier motor on the opposite side as a counterweight.

As for the mobile base, I made my own out of oak and used heavy-duty casters.

Jason

Jason

Do you have the saw on a mobile base? If yes, how did you deal with the legs which support the router table?

Chuck Isaacson
12-18-2009, 5:26 PM
If it is the same price I would be getting the 5HP. No reason not to especially if you are running the new wire already for it. Have fun!!

Chuck