PDA

View Full Version : Portable 18v Dewalt Air Compressor Flashlight, No Really...

Chris McGee
12-18-2009, 1:46 PM
Thought you guys might appreciate this thingamajig. I needed to do some punchlist work on some finished retail stores and didnt want to lug my compressor and dirty hoses all over and near $40000 fur coats and italian carpets, so my solution? Repurpose my seldom used Dewalt 18v gooseneck flashlight into a small portable compressor. Some company already makes something like this, also lowes sells a compressed air tank system (tank from a paitball gun) but this way I got to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, TINKERING! plus I'm cheap :D

Two 12v car tire inflators from harbor freight ($10 for the pair onsale) gutted provide the pumping power. Some pvc for the small storage tank, and some miscellaneous pipe fittings, hose clamps, and angle brackets, stuff I had laying around, and an hour later I had this. Pumps up to 120psi in about 30 seconds. When I use it with my 23ga pinner I get about 8 shots before having to turn it back on again, three with the 18ga, or if I have more than a few nail to shoot I can just let it run ( I have been looking for some kind of pressure switch to automate things a bit, but haven't had much luck) Have used it with a 16ga nailer also, even aired up a guys tire with it. Need to make a little guard to cover the gears, they can burn you right quick if you brush up against them while their spinning (don't ask me how I know :eek: )

What do you think?

-Chris

Larry Rasmussen
12-19-2009, 11:20 AM
He is part Indiana Jones, part Sherlock Holmes.
He can turn a bicycle frame into a blowtorch, disarm a bomb with a hockey ticket, or weld a broken pipe with a handfull of quarters.
He is MacGyver, a natural genius whose quick wits and knowledge of science allow him to perform incredible feats with everyday objects.

Really though, hats off for the inventiveness. There has been a time or two that I wished I was able to bring my Grex 23 gauge pinner in for just a minute or two to tack something down.

Regards,
Larry R,
Seattle

David Christopher
12-19-2009, 11:52 AM
pretty cool invention Chris, maybe you ought send that picture to dewalt

Steve Rozmiarek
12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
I like it! Where did you source that 3 way coupler? Don't think I've ever seen one.

Chris McGee
12-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I like it! Where did you source that 3 way coupler? Don't think I've ever seen one.

They carry them at Lowes and Depot usually in brass, I think they are cheaper at Harbor Freight in aluminum, people usually pair them with one male connector on the bottom and 3 females on top, like a 3 way power adapter for air hoses. If you don't keep a close eye on them around a job site they will disappear very quick. I guess by the time you buy the adapter and the 4 fittings it gets up to $20 or better.

David Epperson
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
HF has those as well.

Matt Armstrong
12-21-2009, 1:36 AM
That's awesome.

Rick Fisher
12-21-2009, 5:30 AM
Awesome.. but I think you might have voided the warrenty on the battery.. lol.

Leigh Betsch
12-21-2009, 8:16 AM
Pretty cool, but I wouldn't try to carry it on an airplane. It would give the bomb screeners a heart attack.