PDA

View Full Version : BB TV Giveaway?

Mike Minto
12-18-2009, 1:10 PM
Just heard some people talking at work, a guy said he read somewhere that BB would be giving away a flat-screen to every 1000th customer at it's stores on Sat, as incentive to get people into stores - anybody else get this?

Pat Germain
12-18-2009, 2:14 PM
I can't find anything about it online. It guess it's possible, but I seriously doubt it.

Consider that people literally camp out for free food from Chick-Fil-A whenever they open a new restaurant. Can you imagine the pandamonium Best Buy would create by giving away flat-screen TVs? Even if they were small, inexpensive TVs, Americans would go to great lengths to get this something for nothing.

I would expect people to hang out in the checkout area. They would watch when someone did in fact win a TV. Then they could easily count the number of customers, then jump in line to buy their $5.00 item and BOOM! Free TV! Well, that's what they'd expect, anyway. The problems would come from the several hundred people all jamming the checkout area and fighting to be the 1,000th customer. It would be a melee!

Another strategy would be for Lester and Selma to round up all 18 kids and head to Best Buy. They could find the absolute cheapest item in the store and each grab one. They could spend the day cycling all twenty family members through the checkout lines, each buying that same item again again, hoping to eventually hit 1,000. People have certainly spent more time and money trying to get something for free.

I just came up with those scenarios on the fly. I'm sure people who really focus on such things could up with many more strategies for getting something for nothing.