PDA

View Full Version : What's a good lift-mounted router

Matt Meiser
12-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I got a PRL-V2 lift for my birthday so I'm putting together a new router table. Currently I have a Dewalt DW618 that I use in my table and a second DW616. Its very easy to remove the 618 from the table and put it in another base but it won't be as easy with the lift.

I'm debating whether to pick up a new router for the lift. A few years ago I would have bought a Porter Cable 7518 no questions asked, but I'm wondering if that's still a good choice in the Black and Decker era? Woodcraft has a great price on it tomorrow and I was considering calling the store I frequent and asking them to honor the price today since I can't go tomorrow.

Another option is the Milwaukee, but it takes different pads for my lift, which I don't have and would have to order.

I do have the pads for the 618 and thought getting another of those, or even just getting another 616 for a second handheld router since I usually don't adjust the speed or need that much power for handheld use. But I'm not sure I want to go back to only having one router available for handheld use (dovetailing comes to mind.)

Chip Lindley
12-18-2009, 11:51 AM
The P-C 7518 is still *Industrial Grade*! At well over $300 new, they should be!

But if you are wary of Black & Decker's leadership, why not look for a used Type1, 2 or 3 online? I have around $175 in a nicel clean 7518 off eBay! A single-speed 7519 was less than $100! Both run like a champ!

It's hard to hurt one of these BIG routers. Even *well-used*, less-than-cosmetically-perfect ones will work great in a lift!

Matt Meiser
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I guess I misspoke on the weekend price. Apparently there was still a sign up at my local Woodcraft from last weekend's sale. And they are out of stock anyway.

Jay Jeffery
12-18-2009, 2:50 PM
On thing to remember:
If you plan to mount the router such that you don't have access to the lower portion, make sure you can either activate the arbor lock from the top or get a router that uses 2 wrenches. I think all the routers you mentioned use 2 wrenches instead of an arbor lock, but most of the smaller routers these days use arbor locks. One exception is the Hitachi M12VC. I got one off Amazon for about $75 last summer and it has worked well for me.

Matt Meiser
12-18-2009, 3:26 PM
I'm going to pick up a 7518 motor only from my Woodcraft for just under $300.

Jeff Monson
12-18-2009, 6:14 PM

Good choice Matt, I recently switched to a 7518 for my router table, its a really nice router, especially for a lift.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-18-2009, 6:37 PM

Matt - please post how it goes. I'm in the same situation, a PRLv2 and I was just going to put my Dewalt 618 in it until I figured out whether I wanted to go with a stronger (3HP) motor in it instead.

David Kreuzberg
12-18-2009, 9:31 PM
Go to Woodcraft in Detroit or Toledo and look at the Triton 3 1/4 HP, on sale for $180.

I have this router in a saw-mounted table with a lift, and it is sweet. Change bits from above the table. Variable speed is really good. Plenty of power.

When running molding or door stiles and rails, I use a Delta "baby" stock feeder, and the results are always extremely smooth and consistent.

kreuzie

Jeff Nolan
12-18-2009, 9:38 PM
for the PRL I would not go with anything other than the 7518. There are a lot of good routers on the market but for a lift like the PRL nothing is better than the simplicity and durability of the 7518.

Matt Meiser
12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, I'm in possesion of a 7518, at least a motor, collet and wrenches. The "replacement motor" as PC calls it is $40 cheaper than Amazon sells the complete thing. And I don't have to find a place to stick a base I'll never use. Now my 618 can continue to do double duty as a handheld or second table router as its been since I got it.

I saw the Triton when I was there, but I've already got the PRL V2 lift which is made for a non-plunge router. Plus, honestly, Triton makes me more nervous than Delta Porter Cable Stanley Black and Decker or whatever they are going to call themselves. (sounds like a law firm)

Wayne Cannon
12-19-2009, 3:18 AM
Offset wrenches are especially handy. I've seen them several places, but the only one I can remember is Sommerfeld Tools (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Porter-Cable-Wrench_28575mm_1-1_8/products/330/).
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/images/WR004_FULL.jpg

Wayne Cannon
12-19-2009, 3:26 AM
You won't be disappointed in the 7518 -- wide base opening, long throw (through the base), great collets, solid as a rock. Mine's been running for almost ten years with no complaints from it (or from me).

The Tritons have great dust collection and a number of other nice features, but you can't use them with a lift. While their built-in adjustment is nice for table use, it's still not as nice as a lift. The Triton's sheet metal accessories gave me pause, but I've been happy with it so far (about a year).