PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Pen

Chris Stolicky
12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I haven't posted on SMC many pens that I have made, even though I have made more pens than anything else...

Just thought I would post a pen to add to the holiday spirit. Here is the pen I made for the IAP pen swap, better known as the PITH (pen in the hat).

The blank was actually casted by another IAP member, and he sent it to me as part of last year's PITH. I thought it was cool to be able to further share some of the work other IAP members are capable of. The finial is part of an Invisavue blank.

Happy Holidays.

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Beautiful pen Chris! Always fun to learn a little about the history of an item! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Absolutely a beautiful pen. Very well done.

Brian Effinger
12-18-2009, 2:36 PM
Fantastic pen. How did you attach the do-hicky on top of the cap?

David E Keller
12-18-2009, 3:48 PM
Beautiful pen from a very nice blank. I, too, would be interested in knowing how to alter the cap as you did. Thanks for posting.

Chris Stolicky
12-18-2009, 9:17 PM
Thanks guys.

The kit came with a gold finial in the cap. I took a scrap piece of piece of pine and drilled a 1/2" hole in it. 1/2" is small enough to support the outer part of the cap, but large enough to allow the finial to fall in. I then took one of my trusty HF punches and knocked it a couple of times with one of my trusty turned wooden mallets. The finial pops right out after a couple of whacks.

For the new finial, just take a piece of scrap (I wanted green) and attach it to a scrap block. I used CA this time, but have used double-sided tape before. Just measure and use calipers to cut it to the right diameter. I then used my thin parting tool to get it off. I did end up leaving a small stem that fit into the hole of the cap, where the old finial was. Wet sand it by hand, or on the lathe if you can get to it. Then just 2-part into place and hold with a clamp for a while.

Its quite a bit of work for such a small piece, but it makes a cool accent.

Brian Effinger
12-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the quick tutorial Chris. I appreciate it, and I'll have to try it.

Billy Tallant
12-19-2009, 3:47 AM
That is a very beautiful pen. I like the idea of the history traveling with it.
What pen kit is that? I'm not familiar with it, but now I want one after seeing it.

Chris Stolicky
12-19-2009, 8:45 AM
Brian, I'm happy to share.

Billy, Its a rhodium Jr. Gent II (non-postable) from Craft Supplies.

Raymond Sprouse
12-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I found this motor (http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.58197/.f) and this vfd (http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.198/.f). What do you all think?