PDA

View Full Version : My first turning project---

Ernie Hobbs
10-09-2004, 2:21 AM
Just thought I'd post a few pictures of my first turning project. I posted a week or so ago that I purchased a cheap lathe from Harbor Freight. I suffered through it and end up with this. I think it turned out OK. It was the first time I have used a lathe since I was about ten years old.

This is a bed for my 2-year old-son. I made a pencil post for my 5-year-old daughter when she turned two. The posts are Cherry and the rails are poplar. I still need to finish sanding it, fit the brackets and bolt covers, and stain it. I'll post those pictures when I get it done.

Let me know what you think.

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

Jack Hogoboom
10-09-2004, 7:48 AM
Looks great!! Pretty complex post for a first try but it sure came out nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Tyler Howell
10-09-2004, 7:49 AM
Well Done! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2004, 8:02 AM
Ernie...great job! :D .......but Ernie....didn't anyone tell you?.....the world is flat....repeat after me.....10 times..."the world is flat".......at least until I get a lathe........ :rolleyes:

Dick Parr
10-09-2004, 8:11 AM
Very nice Ernie. Nice consistency with all 4 turnings, and as well as that is built, you won't have to worry about him jumping on it. :D

Jim Becker
10-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Beautiful job, Ernie! The turning is great and those lambs-ears are perfect.

Glenn Hodges
10-09-2004, 3:01 PM
Thanks for sharring such a nice job with us.

Mark Stutz
10-09-2004, 7:11 PM
Please tell me that you used a duplicator for legs #2,#3,and #4! ;) That is a great job--and something I'm not even close to tackling. I'm sure she will be pleased.

Lou Morrissette
10-09-2004, 7:47 PM
Great job Ernie. I wish my first anything would turn out that well.

John Miliunas
10-09-2004, 9:35 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm getting sick to death and tired of all you guys and your "first attempts" making my umpteenth attempt look silly! :mad: Really a great job on the posts, Ernie and, as Mark said, I doubt I could've duplicated 2-4 as well! :) Keep up the great work! :cool:

Ernie Hobbs
10-10-2004, 3:02 PM
thanks for all the comments. I appreciate the encouragement.

To answer a few questions: I wish I did have a duplicator to do the other posts. But, I had to basically do them by trial and error. After I completed #1, and #2, I had to go back to #1 and make it look like #2, and so on. I have learned a few lessons that hopefully I'll take to the next project. I need a better set of chisels, since I'm using the cheap ones that harbor freight offered. I basically had to sharpen each one between posts because the dulled so easily. I also did a lot of the fine shaping with a file, since there was less chance of making big mistakes. As I gain in confidence, I can do more with the chisel and less with files and sandpaper. Also, I used a good pair of calipers from woodcraft and a contour guide to help me out.

I'll post some more pictures when I finish the job.

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL