PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bowl

Rob Cunningham
12-18-2009, 7:59 AM
I just finished this Silver Maple bowl. It's 5" diameter x 4" high. There's not a lot of interesting grain, but I did get to try filling a crack with coffee grounds. It works great :). All comments welcome.

Jon Finch
12-18-2009, 9:53 AM
Nice bowl

coffee grounds? mixed with epoxy or what?

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Rob - looks pretty good! I have turned a couple of bowls with this style and found they work great as candy dishes!

steven carter
12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Rob,

You made up for a lack of interesting grain with an interesting shape, and a good save on the crack and a good finish.

Steve

Rob Cunningham
12-18-2009, 1:10 PM
Nice bowl

coffee grounds? mixed with epoxy or what?

Jon, I pressed the coffee grounds into the crack then soaked them with CA glue. I applied the glue, let it dry, and repeated until no more glue would soak in. I did this in both inside and outside of the bowl. Then sanded it flush and finished.
The idea originally came from Steve Schlumpf.

David E Keller
12-18-2009, 3:54 PM
Nice shape and I like the crack. Epoxy and coffee also works.

Jim Kountz
12-18-2009, 5:46 PM
Nice work and save on the crack. Came out great!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2009, 5:50 PM
Nice looking bowl Rob. Crack adds some character to the bowl.

Greg Just
12-18-2009, 9:20 PM
Nice job Rob. I like the shape and that maple finished really well. I filled a crack recently with CA and instant coffee there was a reaction and the mixture got really hot. It did do the job though.

John Keeton
12-18-2009, 9:26 PM
Rob, nice work, and I really like the look of the maple. Used coffee grounds on walnut before, but it actually looks kind of neat on the maple!

Rob Cunningham
12-19-2009, 9:37 AM
Nice job Rob. I like the shape and that maple finished really well. I filled a crack recently with CA and instant coffee there was a reaction and the mixture got really hot. It did do the job though.

The coffee grounds were from a brewed pot of coffee. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I just spread them out on some paper towels and allowed them to dry for several days before I used them.