PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Guard

Jeff Dolter
12-18-2009, 7:18 AM
I have what may be a silly question but I am a first time shaper owner so please be gentle ...:)

I recently was lucky enough to pick up a used Delta HD 3hp in great shape. The previous owner included the original guard- an orange plastic disc about 4in in diameter with a 3/4 in ID bearing in the center to be mounted on the spindle over the cutter.

When I turn on the shaper, the entire guard tends to spin up to speed with the spindle (instead of just the center bearing turning). I'm pretty sure I have it mounted correctly because I can stop it by pressing on it with a scrap piece of wood but when "idling" it spins with the spindle.

The bearing is not frozen...I can spin it manually when the guard is dismounted. though not what I would call "easily".

Is this normal behavior for this guard? or is the bearing bad and needs replaced?

Thanks, Jeff

Steve Rowe
12-18-2009, 8:35 AM
Jeff,
What you describe is normal for that guard. Until the guard touches something, it will not stop spinning. It is somewhat like a router bit with a bearing. When you start the router, the bearing outer race spins with the bit and does not stop spinning until it contacts the wood.

The bearing should turn easily by hand. If it does not, I would lubricate the bearing with a bit of bearing lubricant and if that doesn't free it up, replace the bearing.
Steve

Rod Sheridan
12-18-2009, 9:24 AM
Steve has given you good information on that guard, which is meant for free hand use, without a fence.

Otherwise I suggest you use the stock hood, or make your own fences and box guards.

Order yourself some books on using shapers as well.

I use my shaper a lot, wouldn't be without it..........Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Jeff, your orange guard is basically good for deflecting *things* which may fall into the cutter from above, instead of letting the cutter propel them like a super-sonic pinball. IMO, these are to protect the cutter, more than the operator.

These are useful in free-hand operations when the fence/dust hood must be removed. The orange color grabs your attention to remind you there is a dangerous cutter spinning at 7 to 10,000 rpm. The bearing of the guard permits it to slow down or stop, if anything comes in contact.