PDA

View Full Version : Laguna slot mortiser

Rick Potter
12-18-2009, 2:16 AM
Well, I see that Laguna is now a sponser of the Creek. I have been thinking a long time about their Platinum Slot Mortiser. There were several interesting threads about this time last year, which I have just reviewed.

So..I am wondering:

1. How those who bought one feel about it after a little time has passed. Are you happy with it still?

2. Big changes to it a year ago..anything new since then?

3. Last January someone said there was free shipping, and they were a bit negotiable. I havn't called yet. Anybody know if this will repeat?

4. What is the best price anyone got one for, if there indeed was wiggle room.

5. Is there any other brand at that price point (it's a stretch for me) that I am not aware of?

I will be calling them around the first of the year, and am gathering info now.

Thanks guys,

Rick Potter

Mike Heidrick
12-18-2009, 3:25 AM
I have it. I paid $949 at IWF in 2008. It was $775 on sale at some point this year. I do not use mine much but I am glad I have it. I had to add a sub table but I like the one I made. I have zero issues with mine and it is vary accurate and very smooth. For the money it is the best Horiz floor mortiser available in my opinion (unless you score a great deal on a used $3K plus euro one).

Virgil Johnson
12-18-2009, 9:40 AM
I got one in my shop a couple of weeks ago and I am very pleased with it.
I talked to a fellow named Chris Kell and he made me a deal on it - giving me free shipping. Brought the cost to just over $900.

(He even called me after delivery to see if I was happy.

This is not am machine for everyday use in the sense it is slower. But for me it is the greatest.
I bought the deep bits but find an onsrud sprial cutter works great for most uses.
The vway came well packaged, easy to set up, and has no vibration.

I also have made a table for it.

I have been using the machine more or less every day and I would recommend it for a small shop.

Virgil

Gregory Stahl
12-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I had one and got rid of it after I bought a Multi Router. It doesn't come close in comparing to the accuracy and speed of the Multi Router.

I had to make an additional table to use for 3/4" material as the table sits too low.

The movement was not very smooth either. I tested the machine at IWF last year and the display performed just like mine. I thought the Rojek machine was more smooth as it uses metal tubes for the guides instead of machined dovetails. I always thought I could clean the Laguna guides and make it perform better--but I never succeeded.

I use loose tenons in most of my construction. The Laguna machine was more of a frustration than a benefit. It seemed great at first, but the more I used it the more I got frustrated.

Used Multi Routers are out there and seem to go in the $1200 - $1500 range. My uncle and I both scored used machines that were in exceptional condition in this price range--from craigslist.

Also worth mentioning--I think I received one of the first Platinum Mortisers. They may have increased the quality since. I admit I am biased against asian machines having purchased Felder/Mini Max/Maggi/SCMI equipment over the past year. I am becoming a perfectionist. Some of my complaints may be acceptable for others. At the price they are selling it at, don't expect it to perform like premium slot mortisers, and then you may be happy with it.