PDA

View Full Version : Brass Key Tags -> Cermark?

Brian Jacobs
12-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Has anyone successfully Cermark-marked DTC's / Marco K590 (or JDS 4S25xx) Brass Key Tags? I've got a pending job but I don't know if these key rings are coated or can even be marked.

Mike Null
12-18-2009, 6:57 AM
My guess is that those are coated so Cermark would be a real challenge.

Take a look at McMaster-Carr--they may have mill finish tags.

AL Ursich
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I was going to try CLTT Color Laser Toner Transfer and Epoxy Dome over that....

AL

Brian Jacobs
12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Mike--- I think you're right. Both distributors 'believe' that they are coated.

Al--- CLTT/Epoxy might work, but I don't have the capabiltiy.

To further explain the problem...

The job is for a company that has a fleet of vechicles. They are looking for a key tag that can be marked with a barcode and 2 lines of text. It's got to be durable and the marking permanent (keys are going to be attached). I'm now thinking just a plain stainless or brass tag (marked with Cermark) that can be attached to an existing key ring.

Dee Gallo
12-18-2009, 1:49 PM
Would anodized tags work for you? I find them to be a breeze to laser and they look sharp. Check with Chewbarka for bulk rates, they are pretty reasonable.

cheers, dee

Brian Jacobs
12-18-2009, 2:18 PM
Dee--- That was my thought originally as I buy a bunch from Chewbarka / Ricci Tool (nice guys). However I'm afraid that the anodized coating won't hold up on a key ring (metal scratching metal). It's going to get banged around and the barcode has to stay intact. Maybe it will work if I epoxy coat it?

Joe Hayes
12-18-2009, 4:37 PM
Brian - you might check McMaster Carr as Mike Null mentioned. Get a SS tag and Cermark - that should work until the key scratch the metal so much the CerMark will be damaged. Key rings take the most abuse of just about anything. I don't think you have a "rotary engraver" but if you did a diamond drag or burnish on brass then oxidized is still one of the most durable ways to engrave a key ring. I guess that is why so may key rings are coated brass.

Brian Jacobs
12-18-2009, 5:25 PM
Brian - you might check McMaster Carr as Mike Null mentioned. Get a SS tag and Cermark.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Didn't think about it in advance, but this is kind of a tough one. I checked both McMaster and Grainger and they both have tags. I'm going to run a sample 'torture test' before I commit to this.

Gordon Kircher
12-18-2009, 7:30 PM
What about Rowmark Plastic. Using Black on White and making a key tag out of that.

G

Brian Jacobs
12-18-2009, 9:14 PM
What about Rowmark Plastic. Using Black on White and making a key tag out of that.

If the barcode will scan... not a bad idea. May stand up to more abuse. Certainly worth testing. Thanks...

Mike Null
12-18-2009, 9:25 PM
Brian

If you decide to try plastic I would be sure that the top layer is 4 to 7 thousandths thick. The typical .001" thick stuff will be useless after the first day.

You might also consider using a plastic laminate similar to what they use on drivers licenses.

Brian Jacobs
12-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks Mike and everyone else for the great suggestions and helping me narrow down my options. Now comes the fun part in seeing what works!

AL Ursich
12-19-2009, 1:02 AM
In that case, I vote for a white metal tag Sublimated then Domed....

Even a FRP tag Sublimated then Domed might work too...

Had another thought.... Stainless, Cermerk, then Domed....

Do you think I am hooked on Doming....?

AL

Gary Hair
12-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Do you think I am hooked on Doming....?

You make that sound like it's a bad thing...

Doming is a great way to add a lot to many different things. It adds value to name badges and durablility to hang tags. I have domed lots of things, I guess I am as hooked as you are.

My name is Gary and I'm a domeaholic...

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2009, 11:12 AM
If the barcode will scan... not a bad idea. May stand up to more abuse. Certainly worth testing. Thanks...

Romark White engraves black works well for barcodes..

Dan Hintz
12-20-2009, 5:04 PM
Without testing for wearability, I would be concerned about using such a thin cap plate. Combine the thin cap with thin cap lines, I would wonder if the thin lines wouldn't break or get scratched off. Maybe they won't, just suggesting you test for it.

AL Ursich
12-20-2009, 6:18 PM
Romark White engraves black works well for barcodes..

Bill,

That is an impressive Lock out Tag out system.... WOW.... Sure beats my old Sony Picture Tag from the Picture Tube Plant....

AL

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2009, 8:46 PM
Bill,

That is an impressive Lock out Tag out system.... WOW.... Sure beats my old Sony Picture Tag from the Picture Tube Plant....

AL

That was a job we did for a major pet food Manuf. There was a inventory label the same but with a hole at each end to screw them to the machine, then the lockout tags for each piece of matching machinery that were mounted on the main panel with silicone adh. Everything had to be 'wash down' proof, and they did extensive testing on some samples for both readability & washability before ordering the batch.. It was an interesting job...