PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist ad

Dave Lehnert
12-17-2009, 11:54 PM
An ad on CL has a set of 3 planes for sale $75. He has a 4th plane for sale $20. BUT............If you want all 4 he will sell them for $100.:confused:

Jim Koepke
12-18-2009, 1:22 AM
Just for fun, my brother used to put things out at flea markets and swap meets with a sign that said $3 each or 3 for $10. He said even after explaining to some people they would still insist on getting 3 and giving him $10.

jim

Kent A Bathurst
12-18-2009, 8:55 AM
"No one ever went broke underestimating the American public" - Mencken
(well, close- I edited it)

keith ouellette
12-18-2009, 9:31 AM
I tried to buy a sander on cl.

Contacted the guy by email with a question and got no answer.

about a week later I sent another email when I saw the same listing and only asked "do you have the sander for sale".

A week after that he replies and say "yes" but nothing else. No other contact info or anything.

I don't know why he bothered with the ad.

Dave Lehnert
12-18-2009, 1:34 PM
Just for fun, my brother used to put things out at flea markets and swap meets with a sign that said $3 each or 3 for $10. He said even after explaining to some people they would still insist on getting 3 and giving him $10.

jim

I run a retail garden center and I sell mulch $2.00 a bag. I get at least one customer a day will come in and say " The guy across the street has a sign Mulch 4/ $10 will you price match" :eek:

Jim Koepke
12-18-2009, 1:40 PM
I tried to buy a sander on cl.

Contacted the guy by email with a question and got no answer.

about a week later I sent another email when I saw the same listing and only asked "do you have the sander for sale".

A week after that he replies and say "yes" but nothing else. No other contact info or anything.

I don't know why he bothered with the ad.

I kind of know one guy like that. He is paranoid that everyone is looking for him and avoids human contact.

I have dealt with others that will leave items on a porch or by the garden gate. Weird folks everywhere. Most of them were back in the SF area when we lived there.

Another thought is sometimes an ad on CL is not really an ad, it is a notification to those who are looking for the signal.

Then again, there are a lot of people out there who just do not have a clue when it comes to selling extra things around the house.

jim

Mike Minto
12-18-2009, 1:46 PM
sounds like a deal to me...

Pat Germain
12-18-2009, 2:01 PM
I posted a Craigslist ad for the first time last Saturday. I wanted to sell the 1990 Honda Civic my daughter had drivig before she got a new car.

I listed all the good things about the car as well as the flaws. I included what I thought were four good pictures of the car including the interior. I specified I would take cash only. As I recall, that line read, "Cash only. Local buyers only. No checks. No wire transfers. No funny business. No kidding."

I posted the ad a 10:45 Saturday morning. At 2:30 that afternoon I was signing over the title. A very nice couple test drove the car for a long time and decided it would be good for their student son. (I agreed.) They plopped down my full asking price in cash and the deal was done. I took down the ad at 3:00 PM. I consider myself lucky that scammers probably didn't even get the chance to see my ad.

Thus, it seems Craigslist can be a very good tool when used properly. But as we know, there are a lot of biscuits out there who don't know how to use tools or who purposely abuse tools. Both situations can be a great source of irony and comedy.

Bruce Page
12-18-2009, 2:28 PM
It always amazes me (and frustrates the hell out of me) how many people will have a tool, or whatever, for sale and NOT give a brand name, model #, pic, or any other info on it. Often when they do post a pic it’s a HF “Chicago” branded tool.

Jeff Willard
12-19-2009, 8:13 AM
An ad on CL has a set of 3 planes for sale $75. He has a 4th plane for sale $20. BUT............If you want all 4 he will sell them for $100.:confused:

Coffee vending machine at work (Seattle's Best).

12 oz. cup-$1.00

16 oz. cup-$1.50

Jim Koepke
12-19-2009, 5:26 PM
Coffee vending machine at work (Seattle's Best).

12 oz. cup-$1.00

16 oz. cup-$1.50

Apparently not the best mathematicians.

jim