PDA

View Full Version : Uneven planer bed (22-580)

Kevin Villas
10-09-2004, 12:45 AM
I wasn't getting a few boards perfectly flat from delta 2speed planer tonight. Thought the extention tables might be out of wack a bit and when I checked with a straight edge I noticed a slight dip in the main bed.

Not the extentions, I can level those just fine, but the bed under the knives has a bit of a bow that I just noticed in the middle. 1 side a little worse than the other. Who knows how long it has been like this, but does anyone know of a way to adjust it? Or heard of this before? Saw nothing in the manual.

Driving me crazy knowing its there now.

Matt Allan
10-10-2004, 4:45 PM
I have the same planer.. Mine was a little uneven once, I took it apart and there was a little dust buildup under the metal plate that covers the bed. Could be the same thing that is happening to you.

I suggest taking that cover off and making sure the cast iron bed under that plate is perfectly flat. Most likely it is, and either that thin metal plate coving it has some build up or it is just not sitting perfectly flat on it. At rest mine isn't dead flat either, but once your apply some pressure down it flattens out over the cast iron bed.

BTW, its a pain to get the little screws off that hold on the metal plate. I suggest taking one side of the planer off for easier access. Still isn't simple then either.

Let me know what you find, im curious.