PDA

View Full Version : need a lil help

fred sanchez
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
cant seem to get it right

im trying to engrave this photo onto granite for a christmas gift but im not having any luck

iv done all the normal stuff converting it to grayscale i ran it thru photograv and all i get is bad results. is this photo a good candidate for engraving ? i dont know errr.

been trying to get back into the graving loop since my father and biz partner passed away earlyer in the year so im a lil rusty

Tom Bull
12-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Looks ok to me, might use auto adjust to pep it up a little. You can look back on my previous posts for a link to a full scale tutorial that goes into great detail on successful granite engraving.

Brian Jacobs
12-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Fred,

What's happening when you engrave? 1.5 or 2.0 lens? Settings? Since you have a Universal, did you try 1-touch? Picture certainly looks in the ballpark. What may help is to increase the gamma a bit, then run it back through photograv or 1-touch.

Dan Hintz
12-18-2009, 6:50 AM
The hair area could use some lightening to bring out more detail, but overall the pic is in good shape.

Andrea Weissenseel
12-19-2009, 2:24 AM
It should work, maybe you need to play with brightness and contrast a little bit.

I'm using the Gold Method with Photoshop rather than Photograv. The only thing I do when using it, is go manually through each step instead of running the action completely automatic - that way I can fine tune the setting by appearance. On granite I'm engraving with 125dpi only.

Attached result is not perfect, since it was only that small pic you had attached, but gives a good idea of the outcome

Cheers, Andrea

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Here's a quick conversion, for engraving into black granite, or lasersketch marble high speed, low power.. If you engrave too slow, or too high a power it will look washed out.. I get lots of scrap granite to test images on at a local monument shop.. Their always glad to get rid of it.. This was done in photograv at the size you posted I bumped it up to 300 dpi to satisfy the engraver. Bumping it up only make the original low res pic etch at a better overlap it will not actually improve the quality of the picture.. Do not change the size, it was set to engrave at 300 dpi

fred sanchez
12-21-2009, 11:31 AM
thanks everybody for the advice it really helped

Andy Joe
12-21-2009, 11:39 AM
im not sure about your laser but on mine i can adjust laser curve, and i ussually go with a smaller laser curve number to get more detail within the image when i engrave on stone