PDA

View Full Version : Can one credibly "extend" a six inch jointer to say 8 or twelve inches?

bob frost
12-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I was wondering if it is feasible to make an extension to a six inch joiner. I observe that an 8 inch is usually recommended but wonder why one cannot make an extension. Or am I completely loony on this one?

Brian Effinger
12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
I think you would really have to hack away at the cast iron to get an 8" knive head into a 6" jointer. And then you would have to add the components that the end of the knife head sits in (pillow blocks, maybe?). While it is probably not possible to do that, there are certain tricks you can do to joint boards wider than the machine, but then you need a wider planer. I think Fine Woodworking had an article on that recently.

bob frost
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I will check Fine woodworking. I wasn't even thinking of the blades . Sorry

Jeffrey Makiel
12-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm assuming that you are talking about lengthing the infeed and outfeed beds so they are as long as a typical 8" jointer?

If I got you right, I don't see why not. But you best be handy with some metal working to fabricate appropriate size extension that have alignment capability. Otherwise, roller stands are the answer. Unfortunately, roller stands don't provide the accuracy of longer beds.

I don't know why importers won't offer optional extension tables for the smaller jointers. European companies offer such a thing for combo jointer/planers. Why hasn't this caught on?

I once asked a Jet company rep at a woodworking show why they don't offer extensions for their new 12" jointer/planer combo. He replied that it would significantly increase the machines price point above market targets. I replied that it should be offered as an option without increase to the initial price that give the buyer some level of comfort knowing that the beds can be made longer in the future if needed. Oh well...

-Jeff :)

Steve Griffin
12-18-2009, 12:02 AM
You bet lengthening the tables can be a good idea.

I added about 14" to my grizzly 8" jointer infeed table and find it greatly increases quality and ease of jointing longer boards.

Just bolt on some 1/4" x1.5" steel straps on each side of the cast iron table and add a melamine table between the straps.

I Probably should do it for the outfeed too, but it seems easy enough to keep all but the longest/heaviest boards down on the table. A roller stand comes in handy for massive pieces.

-Steve

-Steve

Richard Dragin
12-18-2009, 10:50 AM
My preferred tool to widen from a 6" to an 8" would be Craigs List.

Chip Lindley
12-18-2009, 11:28 AM
HaHa!! WTG! Richard. Absolutely the most practical suggestion yet!

Using CL is easier (and cheaper) than using a big bandsaw with metal-cutting blade and slicing two 6-inch jointers down the middle; turning them on side and running the ragged edges thru a huge milling machine; then rejoining them with steel dowels. You'll have an 8"-wide table but then there's the raising mechanism to consider. I have an old 8" RBI 3-knife head I'll sell ya, if you GET THAT FAR! *chuckle*

Mike Goetzke
12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
If you are talking about face joining wider than 6" boards you can face join to almost 12" wide on a 6" joiner with double passing the board.

Mike

Wade Lippman
12-18-2009, 2:37 PM
I don't know why importers won't offer optional extension tables for the smaller jointers. European companies offer such a thing for combo jointer/planers. Why hasn't this caught on?

I once asked a Jet company rep at a woodworking show why they don't offer extensions for their new 12" jointer/planer combo. He replied that it would significantly increase the machines price point above market targets. I replied that it should be offered as an option without increase to the initial price that give the buyer some level of comfort knowing that the beds can be made longer in the future if needed. Oh well...

A few years ago I was looking at a 10" Minmax combination machine. The jointer was only 40" long, which I considered a killer. Minmax did not have extensions and recommended roller stands. Good luck getting those level with the table.

I think it is difficult to have long tables on combination machines because they have to be hinged out of the way to use the planer.

Harold Burrell
12-18-2009, 3:22 PM
If you are talking about face joining wider than 6" boards you can face join to almost 12" wide on a 6" joiner with double passing the board.

Mike

OK...

By that I take that you mean by flipping the board. How can this be done accurately?

Frank Drew
12-18-2009, 4:56 PM
Harold,

Yes, flipping the board after every pass is totally doable and gives a perfectly acceptable reference surface for the purposes of then running the board through your planer, with the face jointed face down. There might be some unevenness where the face jointing passes didn't exactly meet, but that doesn't hurt a thing, and you'll of course eventually run that face up through the planer to make it all nice nice

I've done it probably hundreds of times, with a variety of jointers, and got fine results.

Curt Harms
12-18-2009, 6:06 PM
Huh, that'd probably be doable. My Jet's planer beds' sides are not perpendicular to the top; they're not far off, probably 2-3 degrees but there's be some shimming involved. I've heard two rules of thumb regarding maximum length of stock that can be jointed. One says 1.5 times the bed length, another says 2 times the bed length. As far as trying to make a jointer wider, oh my Craigs List would be so much easier. When I had a 6" jointer I did make passes on one side only then put a piece of plywood thicker than the "shoulder" left then ran that assembly thru the planer. Once the face opposite the jointed face is flat, turn the piece over and remove the "shoulder" That works okay if there isn't too much of a "shoulder" for the planer to push down and bow the piece widthwise . A wide enough jointer is a nicer solution:D.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-18-2009, 6:50 PM
Curt...your machine has a 55" length. Using the more conservative 1.5 multiplier, that means you should be able to do 7 ft boards.

As for me, I've never needed more than a 7 foot capacity. My projects don't require it, and my back doesn't like it.