PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Batteries

Frank Dominski
12-17-2009, 7:51 PM
Was thinking about getting some 18v drill batteries rebuilt. Was checking out MTO battery service and it looks like it can get quite expensive with shipping to and from. Was wondering if it is worth expense.
Has anyone tried getting a NIMH rebuild and using a NiCad charger. I know MTO says it will work but not how long it will take to charge.

Jeff Nolan
12-17-2009, 8:56 PM
I've looked into this and found that the economics just don't work out that well. On top of that, some of the newest batteries have a chip in them that serves as a key that mates to the power tool, making rebuilds highly problematic.

The entire issue of battery life expectancy has made me rethink my reliance on battery powered tools. For as much as the cost of the tool is, to have to spend another $60-100 on replacement batteries every 2 years is very frustrating.

Lastly, for what it's worth, in my experience the best batteries are Panasonic and Makita, the worst are Milwaukee.

Was thinking about getting some 18v drill batteries rebuilt. Was checking out MTO battery service and it looks like it can get quite expensive with shipping to and from. Was wondering if it is worth expense.
Has anyone tried getting a NIMH rebuild and using a NiCad charger. I know MTO says it will work but not how long it will take to charge.

Stephen Edwards
12-17-2009, 9:07 PM
There's an authorized tools service center near me that handles warranty issues for most of the major brand name tools. He also rebuilds batteries. I've been to his business and spent 45 minutes or so with him.

I'm going to let him rebuild my Dewalt and Hitichi batteries. Yes, it's expensive. But, he offers a two year guarantee, meaning that the guarantees that the battery will hold 90% of its charge and power as well as maintain the normal charge time for two years. If it doesn't, he does the job over again for free.

He uses higher quality cells in the rebuilt batteries than in the stock batteries that comes with new tools. He also explained to me that the tool companies are depending on customers to buy new batteries from them. Over the years I've certainly noticed a decline in the quality of batteries that I've bought from major name brand tools. The last two Dewalts that I bought, the batteries were toast within a year. And I don't use them every day, either. I hate to trash a perfectly good drill just because the batteries are shot. So, I'm willing to give this guy a chance. We'll see what happens.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I wanted to share my thoughts! Thanks for listening.

Paul Ryan
12-17-2009, 9:31 PM
It depends on the condition of the tool you are rebuilding the batteries for. Many times rebuilding the battery is close to the cost of a new battery. But a rebuilt battery is much better than a new battery. The cells in the rebuilt are better will hold a longer charge and usually last longer. But if the tool you are having the batteris built for is kind of ratty than you are better off buying a new tool. I have had batteries rebuilt and they are awesome they last forever much longer than when they were new.

Bruce Wrenn
12-17-2009, 9:38 PM
Batteries are the reason I bought my 12V, LI drill from Ridgid. With the 3 year warranty, and life time service agreement, my battery cost is zero. I'm on my second set of batteries, and will soon be on my third. A friend says HD close to his house does battery check right in store, and hands you new batteries as needed. Sounds too good to be true, IMHO. Who wouldn't want to take a half day off, go to tool repair place, then leave tool for a couple weeks, just so they could get warranty batteries? As far as shipping batteries to MTO (or others), use a "flat rate box" from USPS.

Frank Dominski
12-18-2009, 6:26 PM
Thanks for the replys. The flat rate box is a good idea as I have four batteries.
I also have a Ridgid 12v Li and one battery went bad in three months and its been a pain trying to get it replaced. The only exchange place is 30 miles away and they have been on back order for 2 months. So much for free batteries:D

Jim Eller
12-19-2009, 1:00 PM
Frank,

I have purchased 18V cells from Jason at MTO and have been very happy with the product and extremely happy with the service.

There is no need to do two way shipping. Just order the cells and replace them yourself.

Jim

John McClanahan
12-19-2009, 1:43 PM
Before you buy cells to replace yourself, open up the battery and see if the cell connections are something you feel you can do. Finding cells with solder tabs helps a lot. Not all cells have solder tabs.

John

Jim Eller
12-19-2009, 5:20 PM
I might add, call Jason at MTO.

You will get a ton of helpful advise without buying a thing.

The cells I replaced were in my DeWalt. The hardest thing about it was getting the case open.

Greg Bender
12-19-2009, 7:45 PM
Jim,
was wondering on the dewalt batteries what you used to connect/solder the batteries back together.Can you get away with using a regular soldering iron or do you need to use a spot welder.Do you know what brands of replacement cells have the solder tabs on them.I have a pile of 18 volt batteries that are dead and need to be rebuilt.
Thanx,Greg

Tom Godley
12-19-2009, 9:25 PM
Maybe I am missing something - but I do not see how getting my old ones rebuilt makes any sense.

I have one of the 18v DeWalt Tool sets - I rarely use anything other than the drill and the flashlight but it is worth it for me to replace the two batteries.

The original set lasted a little over two years. The replacement set came with a three year warranty from DeWalt and are now about three and a half years old and are beginning to die.

I see the set of two go on sale for just under $100.00. Why would I get my old ones rebuilt when I can get a new set for about the same price?

Paul Ryan
12-19-2009, 9:47 PM
Maybe I am missing something - but I do not see how getting my old ones rebuilt makes any sense.

I have one of the 18v DeWalt Tool sets - I rarely use anything other than the drill and the flashlight but it is worth it for me to replace the two batteries.

The original set lasted a little over two years. The replacement set came with a three year warranty from DeWalt and are now about three and a half years old and are beginning to die.

I see the set of two go on sale for just under $100.00. Why would I get my old ones rebuilt when I can get a new set for about the same price?

Tom, the simple answer to this is the rebuilt batteries are much better than the OEM batteries. I can confirm that. They last much longer. Longevity I cannot comment on. But the batteries last 50% longer than they do when new.

Ted Calver
12-20-2009, 11:20 AM
It sure would be great if one of you learned cell replacing guys would do a tutorial for the electron challenged rest of us :)

Jim Eller
12-20-2009, 1:49 PM
Jim,
was wondering on the dewalt batteries what you used to connect/solder the batteries back together.Can you get away with using a regular soldering iron or do you need to use a spot welder.Do you know what brands of replacement cells have the solder tabs on them.I have a pile of 18 volt batteries that are dead and need to be rebuilt.
Thanx,Greg

Greg:No special tools required. I just used a regular Weller soldering gun.

Paul has the answer on why to rebuild. Also much cheaper!

Contacting Jason at MTO is well worth it.

Jim

Ben Abate
12-20-2009, 5:14 PM
I have found unless you are getting a quantity of them rebuilt it may not be worth it. I used a company in I think it was Seattle, Battery Rebuilders and they did a great job. But, I had 6 or 8 batteries done at the same time. I shipped them to them in one of the US mails one price boxes and they returned shipped them for free. I had 6 nine volt Makitas and two 14.4 Dewalts done for $36.00 apiece after in was all said and done.

hope this helps with your decision.