PDA

View Full Version : Glass Flat Work

Ted Calver
12-17-2009, 7:44 PM
Our family room, where we spend most of our time, has nice south facing windows but little privacy from the neighbors. This is the first of several stained glass windows on my honey do list to help alleviate the problem--while keeping the orchids happy. Inspired by some windows my son-in-law was restoring from a house built in 1923 in Moore, Oklahoma. Prairie style I guess. 28" x 37" with hand ground 1/4" glue chip beveled glass perimeter and 1/4" beveled clear center elements with dichroic highlights. Framed in walnut and attached to the window so it doesn't interfere with opening. My first window--took me a week. I hope the other five go faster :)

Roger Newby
12-17-2009, 8:03 PM
Ted..........That is some great looking stained glass! My daughter is the glass expert here and I do the framing....I also noticed what appears to be a Christmas Cactus, an obvious Phaleanopsis and maybe a Dendrobium and a Norfolk Island Pine? Yup, I like growing the exotics too. But I can't always spell them correctly!

Ted Calver
12-17-2009, 8:58 PM
Thanks Roger!! You nailed 'em...they sure like this window.

Joe Pelonio
12-17-2009, 9:48 PM
Very nice work, Ted. I know how much work that took, good luck on the other 5!

Belinda Barfield
12-18-2009, 8:23 AM
Great work Ted, on both the window and the plants!

glenn bradley
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Quite beautiful. Really nice work Ted.

Paul Atkins
12-18-2009, 7:33 PM
Worth the week of burnt fingers and glass cuts. I always figure the first of a series takes twice as long as the rest.

Joe Pelonio
12-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Worth the week of burnt fingers and glass cuts. I always figure the first of a series takes twice as long as the rest.
Funny, all the stained glass work I have done I never cut a finger. From weeding and taping vinyl I have scars and stitches.

My wife is after me to do one about 30"x72" for the window over the front door, maybe if I start soon I'll get it done before old age sets in.

Doug Carpenter
12-19-2009, 8:08 AM
That is really nice.

Stained glass is on my wish list of things to learn to do. I also would like to learn to weld.

I have a couple of doors I want to put small windows in. Do you hire out glass work or is it just a hobby?

Ted Calver
12-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Paul...Not so many burnt fingers and glass cuts, but lots of finger tip blisters from pushing the putty into the came (this is the last step in making the window..just before cleaning. I didn't use whiting to dry the putty)
Doug... this was literally my first stained glass project, so I guess it's just a hobby :) :) I was fortunate to have a son in law who does glass for a living and had the benefit of his knowledge and the use of glass working equipment in his studio. It is not as expensive a hobby as woodworking. For a little over a hundred dollars in equipment (see morton glass works dot com) you can get set up to do your doors. There are loads of DIY sites on the web and there probably someone in your local area who would be willing to point you in the right direction.