PDA

View Full Version : Long Fluffy Shavings!!

Tyler Howell
10-08-2004, 9:52 PM
After four weeks of theory, lapping, more lapping honing and polishing we finally cleaned, tuned, lubed and assemble our planes in my Neander WW class. Long fluffy shavings it was a treat. I had no idea what a thrill.
More so how crude, dull and poorly tuned my tools were.:o
I still don't have quality planes but the search is on with new found knowledge, energy and excitement:D .
Was saving the leveling process of my Phoenix bench for when I rented a floor sander to do some rooms of my home but heck ,they didn't have floor sanders when this house was built:cool:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12080
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12540

Charles McKinley
10-08-2004, 10:35 PM
WHoosh Whoosh Whoosh!

Great sound and feel isn't it? There is nothing wrong with that no.7. Just keep it tuned. I'm taking a turning class and it is a lot of fun. I think that knowledge is the greatest tool. You can do so many things different ways if you know how. Enjoy your class.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Jeez....Tyler....I think we've lost you :rolleyes: .............Rent the sander before you are totally lost! :)

John Miliunas
10-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Now how in the heck did you make all those shavings? I don't see any cords hanging off the ends of what look to be some kind of tool! :confused: I just don't get it, I guess. :rolleyes: :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
10-09-2004, 8:14 AM
Just wait until you finish this course buddy. You will have been seduced to the quiet side and all of those fancy tailed toys you've been upgrading and buying will end up covered with shavings.:D Note that I said shavings, and not dust. With the Neander Way the annual amount of dust in the shop will be about what you generated in a day with the forked tailed devils. We will soon expect you to take part and wax eloquently about the finer points of hand cut dovetails, LN vs LV, various sharpening methods, and other things which truly matter. Your Powermatic 66 will become relegated to the task of auxiliary assembly table and your dust collecter bag will be emptied only every other year.

You're toast..... and we gotcha. ;)

Tyler Howell
10-09-2004, 8:30 AM
Dave You are scaring me here! That is one pricy assembly table But it's all for art right??

Thanks

Jim Becker
10-09-2004, 10:17 AM
...wax eloquently...
Tyler is quite adept at this already...

Mr. Howell! Nice shavings! Someday I'll have to try that, too...;)

James Carmichael
10-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Ahh, a site to warm a Neander's heart! Congrats!

Tom LaRussa
10-09-2004, 1:55 PM
After four weeks of theory, lapping, more lapping honing and polishing we finally cleaned, tuned, lubed and assemble our planes in my Neander WW class. Long fluffy shavings it was a treat. I had no idea what a thrill.

Congrats Tyler!

Just yesterday I acheived a milestone of my own -- shavings so thin I can literally read the paper through them!

I still don't have quality planes but the search is on with new found knowledge, energy and excitement:D .

I see a nice Stanley #7 in that picture. Now all you have to do is get him a few little brothers. ;)

Oh, by the way. I have really, really, really, really bad news for you.

:eek: FESTOOL DOESN'T MAKE HAND PLANES! :eek:

But after just a little while you won't care. :)

John Miliunas
10-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey Tyler, can I have first dibs on your Festool equipment?! :D The PM66 would be nice, as well, but my BW does a fine job, so you can sell it off to some other needy soul. Say, you wouldn't happen to have a shaper or one 'o them horizontal, long-type belt sanders, do you? :) Hey, just tryin' to help out there, buddy! :D :cool:

David Tang
10-10-2004, 9:38 PM
I have to find one of those classes. I do so enjoy the high pitched buzz of my 6" jointer, though.