PDA

View Full Version : Old Friend Gets a Luthier Fix

Tyler Howell
10-08-2004, 9:29 PM
The Framus 12 on the right is and old friend that helped me pay my way through school. She and I covered many a mile together.:cool: When she took on an appearance similar to the Kramer on the left I cut her down to a six string.
Not happy with that fix I lam-ed up some 1/4" strips of maple, sunk 5) 1/8 " dowels in width wise, hand cut the headstock down to a blind tenon and mortised the laminated panel, then planed and scraped her to size. It was pretty ugly when I finished but stronger allowing for some great tuning pegs.
A piece of veneer front and back, straightened out the neck for some pretty fast action, better than new. She's a little top heavy but holds a tune.
No longer my favorite, I still pull her out for some good 12 string sound and a walk down memory lane..
Now what to do with the Kramer:confused: ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Here's to "Old Friends"!

Steven Wilson
10-11-2004, 11:02 AM
I would cut off the headstock at the break and try to remove the piece of veneer on the headstock face (bandsaw, router?). I would then build a jig for the headstock to hold it steady while you route a finger joint at the break. Attach a piece of mahogany or maple (what's your neck made out of) to the headstock with a finger joint, glue, and clamp. After it's setup then you can reshape the headstock as you like. Finally apply a piece of veneer on the headstock face and you'll be all set. The repair will only be seen on the back and sides. You could go nuts with veneer and hide those too. You might ask Kramer if they will sell you a replacement decal for the guitar.

Jim Fancher
10-11-2004, 11:16 AM
What kind of music do you play?