PDA

View Full Version : Painted Desk

Jim Baker
03-27-2003, 10:32 PM
My next project will be a desk for my daughter's room. She wants it painted white and a varity of other wild unmatching (in LOML's opinion) colors. I was considering making the sides from MDF, but a recent chatroom discussion has caused me to question my choice. What materials do you guys choose when making a project like this that is to be painted?

Von Bickley
03-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Jim,

My painted projects are usually made out of birch plywood and faced with poplar. Works O.K. for me.

Pete Lamberty
03-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi Jim,
If I were you I would take my daughter to a antique flee market and have her pick out an old desk or library table. You can get some at a good price. Then let her paint it herself anyway she wants. She'll probably love it. Just an idea. Pete

Phil Phelps
03-28-2003, 8:33 AM
..have made many pieces of furniture that was painted. Usually made form birch, or maple plywood. However, for the top of a "kids" desk, I'd use laminate. Painted desk tops, especially for teenagers, is not practical. DAMHIKT :D And, if you paint any furniture, I would not, that is not, use latex enamel. Oil base only for this job.

Bill Grumbine
03-28-2003, 8:41 AM
Hi Jim

I'd be interested to know what sort of objections were raised to MDF. I need to build a painted hutch for SWMBO, and when I posted about it here, MDF came highly recommended. I have used it in numerous applications in the past, but this is the first time I am considering it for a piece of furniture more substantial than a display cabinet or shop furniture.

Bill

Rob Sandow
03-28-2003, 11:50 AM
I don't like to use MDF for structural applications, like the side of a desk. It takes paint well, but it is VERY heavy, and does not hold screws very well. Also highly susceptible to moisture. Get it wet and it will swell and be ruined. I built one shop cabinet out of it once to try it out, but wouldn't do it again. The best applications for it are non load-bearing, like door panels that will be painted. I'd use birch plywood or even solid poplar in this situation.

Rob

Dave Avery
03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Birch ply, poplar where real wood is called for, and, as an alternative to paint, I've used color toned opaque gel stains, applied with a couple of thick coats, with great success.

Jim Baker
03-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to give MDF and poplar a try.

Phil, I will use oil paint. Hard tellin' what colors, though.
SWMBOette says we will be using hot pink laminate for the top. This will be my first experience making a laminate top. Should be a chance to learn a new skill and buy at least one new tool.

Bill - no particular reason was given in the chat room, other than that the person said he is a "real wood" man.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

Bill Esposito
03-30-2003, 4:07 PM
Jim,

MDO is great for paint and if you want to save a bit on plywood, you can get MDF core Plywood. My plywood guy has some nice oak veneer MDF core stuff/.