PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a vessel

Walt Helms
12-17-2009, 11:35 AM
So...for the last year or so, I have been using good 'old JPW to finish my spinny things. Works well!

This year, I would like to try something (anything) different! I would like a finish that protects and seals, and has a semi-gloss shine.

This vessel is simply finished with JWP...

All suggestions and comments welcome!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas! :)

gary butcher
12-17-2009, 1:54 PM
nice looking vase and cleverly made by the look of it.

For finish, I'd be tempted to use Watco semi-gloss lacquer spray, I've had great results with it as it's thinner and smoother than others I've tried.

Brian Effinger
12-17-2009, 1:56 PM
Wow, I really like that vase, Walt. The toothed transition between the dark and light woods is wonderful.

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2009, 2:16 PM
Nice vase Walt. I use either gloss or semi-gloss lacquer. I also like minwax antique oil. Wipe on poly is another good one.

Walt Helms
12-17-2009, 2:25 PM
nice looking vase and cleverly made by the look of it.

For finish, I'd be tempted to use Watco semi-gloss lacquer spray, I've had great results with it as it's thinner and smoother than others I've tried.

Does lacquer change the color of the piece?

I've tried to use MinWax Wipe-On poly, and it has a slight yellow/amber color

Richard Madison
12-17-2009, 2:55 PM
Walt,
You might try a wipe-on coat of lacquer sanding sealer, followed by several coats of spray lacquer. I prefer the gloss lacquer because it is a harder material than semi or satin. For a "softer" look you can cut the finished surface back with 0000 steel wool or wet sand with 1200 or even 2000 grit. You can "build" as many lacquer coats as needed to achieve a smooth, level surface. Each coat melts into the previous coats, so you won't sand or buff through one coat only to find the previous coat, as sometimes happens with polyurethane. Have never seen any "yellowing" effect with lacquer.

Jeff Nicol
12-17-2009, 3:00 PM
Walt, The vase is great and the flower arrangement is wonderful. Finishes are always a work in progress for me. I use just about every type there is out on the market and combinations of each for different applications. It is hard to beat lacquer for speed and forgivness and repairs. Even some of the water based poly finishes have been used by me with great results. The oil finishes will give you some of the most depth and warmth but they take a bit more time and patience to achieve some of the desired results. So if the finish you like works and looks good to you stick with it, but experimenting is fun!

Jeff

charlie knighton
12-17-2009, 7:54 PM
very nice, no suggestion on finish, but i will pay attention

gary butcher
12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Does lacquer change the color of the piece?

I've tried to use MinWax Wipe-On poly, and it has a slight yellow/amber color

No, the watco is clear and goes on very nicely, dries quickly even in cold weather so adding coats is a quick and painless experience.