View Full Version : Kansas City Woodworking Show

harry strasil
12-17-2009, 9:46 AM
will be,

February 19-21, 2010
Friday 12-6 Overland Park International Trade Center

Saturday 10-6 6800 W. 115th St.

Sunday 10-4 Overland Park, KS. 66211

I will have my Neander/Galoot Demo shop set up in the KCWWG area, come in introduce yourself and sign the SMC sheet.

Randal Stevenson
12-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Let's see if I can make it this year. Missed last due to father still in the hospital (spent six weeks in). Be nice to finally meet you.

Matt Sollars
12-17-2009, 12:38 PM
I would love to try to go.....this would be my first.

I'm brand new to woodworking though, and it would just be nice to ogle some of the stuff there.

Any tips for a first timer?!?!?

thanks
matt

Randal Stevenson
12-17-2009, 2:01 PM
Any tips for a first timer?!?!?

thanks
matt

Do NOT expect to be able to buy AND LEAVE with big ticket items. I found out when I went to buy something early on, and found they would ship it to me (small enough to carry, but expensive). Don't expect better prices then store, or website prices. Do have idea's for what your looking for (blades, bits, etc). Go EARLY, due to parking (and some people bring dollies/carts).

harry strasil
12-17-2009, 3:45 PM
I just walked up and down the aisles slowly then went back to the ones that had things I was interested in. kinda like a big indoor flea mkt but with only tools. Last year some of the vendors had female demonstrators with very skimpy revealing clothing on to attract the marks. I think some of the older generation spent the whole day watching those demonstrators, then went hom and said, Honey I was a good boy and didn't buy anything. But, I wanna go back tomorrow and make sure I didn' miss anything.

Randy Moore
12-18-2009, 7:41 AM
Usually a bunch of guys meet for breakfast at a local eatery and the go to the show on sat. morning. Keep watching SMC and someone will start talking about it. I went several years ago but haven't been back due to other things taking place, work, aging parents,etc.I will try to be there this year.

John McClanahan
12-18-2009, 8:18 AM
A good shopping bag to hold the stuff you will buy. And don't take along money that you can't spend!

John

harry strasil
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I have been asked to set up my demo shop at the Lie Nielson Hand Tool Event the KCWWG is sponsoring at the guild shop in March.

Phillip Pattee
01-18-2010, 1:42 PM
Jr.,

That's excellent. I hope to see you at both events.:)

Steve Roxberg
01-31-2010, 8:30 PM
I haven't heard a thing about the breakfast this year, anyone remember who used to set it up?

If they can't I can volunteer but they have done it for years and I don't want to jump in too early.

harry strasil
01-31-2010, 9:16 PM
Bill Ward from Lenexa sets it up, the reservation is in, La Peepes at College Blvd and Metcalf.

harry strasil
01-31-2010, 9:23 PM
email from Bill, I got from him on the 18th.

"I have reservation at Le Peep for our annual WW Show breakfast on Feb 20. I haven't had a chance to e-mail the group yet. "

Steve Clardy
01-31-2010, 9:29 PM
Bill Ward from Lenexa sets it up, the reservation is in, La Peepes at College Blvd and Metcalf.

Yep. Bill has set it up for several years now.

harry strasil
01-31-2010, 9:31 PM
For those interested in the Lie Nielson Hand Tool Event sponsored by the Guild.

http://www.kcwoodworkersguild.org/Events/Events.htm#Lie-Neilsen

harry strasil
02-19-2010, 10:52 PM
First half day is overl, it started out rainy, then switched to snow just as I got there, I heard some comments that it was the biggest crowd ever for a first day, and 10 minutes or so after the gate was opened you needed a wedge, prybar and a large tube of KY jelly to try and squeeze down any aisle, Don and I had a good crowd most all day sometimes 3 and 4 deep watching us make chips and shavings.