PDA

View Full Version : *Gloat* My Sweet Wife......

Maurice Ungaro
10-08-2004, 3:11 PM
...Is such a treasure! Well, o.k., yesterday I was cruising the Creek, and read the thread concerning Grizz 0555 14" BS. One thing led to another, and it wasn't long before that Bandsaw lust caught a hold of me again. So, I visit Grizzlytools.com....I also visit a couple of other sites, the last of which was my good friends at Wm. J. Redmond. Suffice it to say that what I saw on thier website made me jump out of my chair and give a yelp.

Why is my wife so wonderful? I'm getting to that. Some months ago, my bride asked me if I could make her one of these stools that convert into a step ladder. What she saw had some curved legs to it, and frankly, looked cheap. regardless, I said, "well, yes, but I'd like to make it more substantial..and...I'd REALLY need to get a bandsaw" She says "o.k., how much does one cost?" Of course, I high-balled the thing, and said "about $950". To her credit, she didn't bat an eye, but said"well, we may have to wait until the new year". Fine by me...the seed had been planted.

BTW, as I was coming back from my bike ride last night, a van pulls up to me at the stop light, and the driveer says to me "you lost the bike off the back of your car!".......not what you want to hear, trust me. I peeled around and sure enough, one mile back was my Trek 5200, laying on the centerline - having been crunched by a couple of vehicles. This sucked. I was in such a rush to get home and tell my bride about the wonderful deal I found on a bandsaw, that I forgot to secure my bike to the bikerack. Did I mention how bad this sucked?

Anway, I get home, poured a LARGE glass of cabernet, and waited for my bride to arrive. She learned of the bike, and felt worse than I did about it (such a sweetie). I had decided that to tell her about the bandsaw deal, i'd use the direct approach via "Christmas Story", and printed the web page, then wrote on top of the page "I want one of these..can I get one?" She craked up when she saw it, and after asking me what it was, said "yes, of course you can..it's be your Christmas present". Cool.
Oh, here's the link: http://www.redmond-machinery.com/ , It's the American made model. AND..since my garage/shop is not built yet, Redmond is warehousing the unit for me, so Tyler and Chris, I'll post pictures whenit's installed, ok?

I love that girl!

Maurice

PS: she said that we need to me another bike too!

Chad Pater
10-08-2004, 3:18 PM
Congrats! Now just make sure you have the wood on hand to make that stool that converts into a step ladder. ;) Some how think that project just moved to the top of the list :D

Maurice Ungaro
10-08-2004, 5:23 PM
Chad, good point! Although I'm new to this husbanding thing, I'm pretty good with things like that, but thanks for nudging me in the right direction.

Maurice

James Giordano
10-08-2004, 6:19 PM
Good deal, But a real bummer about the bike. I used to have the trek 5000 and a trek 920 both were pretty sweet bikes and the 5000 is not exactly cheap either. It was an aluminum frame. Is the 5200 aluminum or carbon-fiber?
I believe Trek has a lifetime warrantee on there frames( I may be wrong about that) I'm not sure it covers falling off your car and being crushed by oncoming traffic damage :o

Maurice Ungaro
10-08-2004, 6:39 PM
James:
The 5200 is/was a full carbon job. I'm real familiar with Trek's warranty - but crushed by a 4 wheel vehicle ain't one of the coverages. No matter, my homeowner's insurance is going to cover it for replacement cost minus my $500 deductible. I still have my race bike, so, now I'll just use that one to train on , & get a suh-weet new Klein Q-Carbon Pro for next season. At least the insurance money will cover a major chunk of the new bike (I was going to sell the race bike and get the Klein anyway).

Maurice
:rolleyes:

Bill Karow
10-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Maurice -

I'm very sorry to hear about your bike - that must have been excruciatingly painful to discover. Good news that it'll work out on replacement issues.

I ripped the freewheel body off my cyclocross race wheelset yesterday during warmups and I was grumpy about that until I read your message and realized how minor my problem was!

Congrats on the new BS, and on having a supportive wife :)

Thanks-
Bill

Ted Shrader
10-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Maurice -

Very cool story - except the part about the bike. Sorry about that. Your wife sounds like a keeper.

Definitely get some wood ready with plans alreayd drawn out when the new BS arrives.

Ted

Jerry Olexa
10-18-2004, 11:19 AM
I think you should renew your wife's contract for another year! But too bad about the bike..