PDA

View Full Version : It's here and it's flat!!!

Dan Forman
12-17-2009, 6:58 AM
My new Unisaw top arrived today. Huge difference from the old one. No rocking of the straightedge in any direction.

I decided not to use the mobile base this time, as I never do move it, and I'd rather build a cabinet under the extension table. The base would just be in the way. I had a bit of a time getting the saw leveled, as there is no provision for doing that on the saw base. Ended up cutting "feet" on the bandsaw, and now it's pretty close, and very solid. My basement floor is quite a challenge for this sort of thing.

The blade is tuned to the miter slot for straight and bevel cuts, the right extension wing is on and shimmed, but still plenty to do tomorrow, putting the Jessem slider back on, and the Incra fence. Oh, and the blade reads 90 degrees to the table from both left and right sides now. Couldn't do that with the old top.

I'm really glad I did this before the warranty ran out, just wish I had stuck to my guns when I first got it, and not let the store talk me into keeping the defective top. Hats off to Delta for doing the right thing, and fast too.

I wanted to try it out before hitting the sack, but I want to have the fence installed to hold down the a fresh ZCI, so have to wait until tomorrow.

Dan

John Keeton
12-17-2009, 7:06 AM
Dan, sounds like you are on the road to flatter, straighter cutting!! And, please don't rethink all those many times of frustration over the years - just focus on the new top!:D

Paul Greathouse
12-17-2009, 7:35 AM
Glad to see Delta came through for you. Hope everything goes smooth with the fence installations.

Mike Cruz
12-17-2009, 8:25 AM
Good for you. Glad it got straightened out, litterally and figuratively.

Oh, and BTW, TAKE OFF YOUR RIVING KNIFE BEFORE CUTTING UP THROUGH YOUR ZCI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just in case your ZCI didn't have that warning on it....:D

Ken Shoemaker
12-17-2009, 2:03 PM
Good for you!!!

I hope Delta has begun to "round the bend" with their customer service. I have had ALL Delta equipment for 54+ years and been lucky never to have a problem. If I do, I hope my outcome is as good as yours.

Ken

Jim O'Dell
12-17-2009, 2:16 PM
Good news to hear Dan. This is one of the few good stories out of Delta CS these days. Hopefully there will be many more. I have a few Delta/Porter Cable products and hate to see a good company go down hill. Jim.