PDA

View Full Version : Flame Polisher Group Buy Update

Cliff Patrick
12-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Hello all. Just an update for those who purchased a flame polisher. They have arrived in Cincinatti, OH and I'll be receiving them tomorrow. I'll begin shippping them out as soon as I receive them. Should have them all out by Friday. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Deane Shepard
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Thank you for all your hard work on this.

Deane Shepard
ULS M360

Cliff Patrick
12-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Had a little snag. All worked out now though. The flame polishers did not make it to Cincinatti until yesterday. My driver went to get it yesterday but due to weather and road conditions, didn't make until after they had closed. He spent the night in Cincy and brought them back today. I shipped them all out today. If anyone needs tracking numbers, let me know.

Gary Nicholls
12-23-2009, 1:29 AM
Thank you Cliff, appreciate all you have put into this. OK, who will be the first to put a burn blister on a finger...

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Micro Flame Polisher arrived today. User instructions are somewhat confusing. Don't want to burn down the shop.

I think I'll wait until I get additional details from other users.

I have attached user guide for your review.

Gary Nicholls
12-23-2009, 1:35 PM
Micro flame polisher got here today. It is un-packed and I am about to head off the the hardware store for the alcohol. But before I put any thing in the machine, does anyone know what the jar of unmarked white crystals are that came with the flame polisher? Something to add to the distilled water or methyl alcohol maybe? There is no mention of this stuff in the description that came with the polisher.

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 1:58 PM
I thought that maybe it was the material you see in little white packets that is shipped with electronic devices to absorb any moisture during shipment.

Gary Nicholls
12-23-2009, 4:17 PM
I thought that maybe it was the material you see in little white packets that is shipped with electronic devices to absorb any moisture during shipment.
I was thinking that also, but the bottle it is in was sealed, no way to get any moisture.

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 4:34 PM
You know how guys are, if there's no apparent use, see what they taste like. :)

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 4:44 PM
I was looking for the proper alcohol and could not locate it at the home improvement stores.

The closest I found was "heet" (yellow bottle) at auto parts store. When I googled where to find it...the info led me to heet.

It appears that it only takes maybe 4 ounces of the alcohol in the polisher so a couple of bottles of heet ($1.49 a bottle at Advance Auto Parts) should last awhile.

Before I fire it up, I'm going to see what all of you have to say.

Remember, I'm the guy that used brake fluid on acrylic so I think it's safer if I just wait for some feedback.

Eric Allen
12-23-2009, 5:46 PM
That white stuff may be potassium hydroxide (KOH). I wouldn't touch it without chemical gloves, it's very reactive to humans:) It's a risk to skin, eyes, very fat reactive....worth being ultra cautious. Usually it's mixed with water in an electrolyzer, so I'm thinking maybe there are two chambers to be filled, one with the KOH and water, the other with alcohol. It'll be more clear when I see it up close and personal. Just based on the design, I'd say that outer tube is the alcohol chamber, it's used as a moderator. The "special mix" would be the crystals mixed with water, would be helpful if they said what the capacity was:)

Gary Nicholls
12-23-2009, 7:15 PM
Don, Local hardare was no help this time for the Methyl alcohol, I ended up at a performance parts/hot rod type store and they had it in bulk. Sold me a half gallon in my own container for $2.50

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 7:33 PM
The last sentence on the maintenance page refers to the "solution in the tank" as being corrosive.

The white flakes are never mentioned. I wonder if you pour the white flakes in the holding tank, add water to the red line and then add the alcohol in the front tank.

I'm not adding anything to anything until someone says it's ok.

Cliff Patrick
12-23-2009, 9:46 PM
Hey all...If anyone has any questions that can't be answered here on the creek (which I seriously doubt because there is so much knowledge on here) I'll be more than happy to contact the vendor to get anything resolved/answered. I hope everyone recieves their polisher without any damages. If there are any, again, let me know so I can let the vendor know. I did not unpack any of them. I just put a label on them and shipped them right back out as soon as they arrived in my warehouse. Oh, I haven't checked, but how was the plug on the end of the polisher? Was it the correct plug or do I need to jump on someone?

Anthony Scira
12-23-2009, 9:53 PM
I just used Denatured Alcohol. And it works perfect. (small canister on front of machine)

For the main tank, I mix the solution in a large jar. I weigh out the crystals and add them to the empty jar. Then add the distilled water and stir it up.

This produces a lot of heat through the chemical reaction. I then use the supplied funnel to pour it into the machine.

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Anthony,

Can you provide detail?

"I mix the solution in a large jar." What is it that you mix - crystals & distilled water I assume?

"I weigh out the crystals and add them to the empty jar." What is the proper weight or measure of the crystals?

Can you provide the mix ration, i.e. 16oz of water with 1oz of crystals.

How long is the mix good for?

I just used Denatured Alcohol. And it works perfect.

I mix the solution in a large jar. I weigh out the crystals and add them to the empty jar. Then add the distilled water and stir it up.

This produces a lot of heat through the chemical reaction. I then use the supplied funnel to pour it into the machine.

Anthony Scira
12-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I just used the recommended 150 grams of powder and 500ml of water.

And yes that is 150 grams of the crystals to 500ml of distilled water.

And for safety PLEASE use goggles and gloves. This stuff looks like it can put the hurt on ya.

Its lasts for quite awhile as I am still on my first jar. Replacement can be had at the hardware store in the drain cleaner section. I forget the name of the product though but it comes in flake form also.

Don't burn your house down !

150 grams = 5.29109429 ounces

500 ml = 16.9070114 US fluid ounces

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Anthony Scira;1291519]I just used the recommended 150 grams of powder and 500ml of water.

Did you possibly get a different manual? Where is the "recommended" formula?

Thanks for the cautionary info as well.

Merry Christmas

Anthony Scira
12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Anthony Scira;1291519]I just used the recommended 150 grams of powder and 500ml of water.

Did you possibly get a different manual? Where is the "recommended" formula?

Thanks for the cautionary info as well.

Merry Christmas

Its on the second page of the PDF you posted. There is the little chart on the bottom of the page.

My assumption is you guys got the FP-103A or B. If not match your machine type. But that is the exact manual if you can call it that that came with our polishers.

donald bugansky
12-23-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm an idiot! :p

John Schulz
12-24-2009, 4:16 PM
Got mine today! WooHoo!
Still in the box, now in the shop.
Looks like I will have to wait 'til Saturday to "unwrap" it.

Yes, there IS a Santa Claus
(and special thanks to Cliff for all he has done to make this possible!)

Dan Hintz
12-24-2009, 6:23 PM
The flakes are Sodium Hydroxide (Potassium Hydroxide will work just as well, however). See the original group buy thread for more chemical info and my (and others') suggestions to get the kit working top-notch.

donald bugansky
12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Dan,

Your knowledge is much appreciated and well respected. Thanks for keeping us out of trouble.

Merry Christmas.

Bugs

Martin Reynolds
12-25-2009, 12:50 PM
You guys are going to really enjoy these little machines.

1) You MUST use distilled water. Don't try anything else. I found it in the camping section at the hardware store, labeled distilled and for drinking.
2) The instruction sheet posted above tells you how much white powder to add to the charge. It is nasty stuff, so be careful. Add the crystals to the water slowly - it gives off a lot of heat as it mixes.
3) Top up only with distilled water - the chemical deteriorates very slowly.
4) Denatured alcohol in the torch feed is fine. It reduces the termperature of the flame, and increases the volume of it. So more heat at a lower temperature.
5) Don't be fooled by the tiny flame. It is wicked hot and will eat through thin stainless steel. Move it fast and keep it away from anything you don't want damaged.

Mark Winlund
12-25-2009, 7:08 PM
That white stuff may be potassium hydroxide (KOH). I wouldn't touch it without chemical gloves, it's very reactive to humans:) It's a risk to skin, eyes, very fat reactive....worth being ultra cautious.

Also known as lye (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/wiki/Lye) and caustic soda.

Mark

donald bugansky
12-25-2009, 7:26 PM
A couple of items for clarity.

A) Mix the flakes/distilled water (per schedule) and put in top tank until level is between red marks on glass tube. (ok - got it)

B) Alcohol goes in front tank. (ok - got it)

Now the need for clarity...

1) As the level in the glass tube goes down below the red mark, do you just add distilled water to the top tank or the "mixed solution"?

2) Is it safe to leave solution in top tank for extended period (30 days or better) of time?

3) The knobs and digital LED readout on front of machine is used for what?

Thx - Bugs

Martin Reynolds
12-26-2009, 2:00 PM
A) Add the crystals to the water, not the other way around. This way, you can avoid it getting too hot.

1) Just add distilled water.
2) Yes

3) The knob controls the current through the chamber, and the LED reads it out. If the current reading is low, gas generation will be low and you need to do some maintenance. Set the knob to generate the aount of gas that you seem to need.

George Brown
12-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Works like a champ! I've never seen a flame that small, but it is HOT! Flame polishes beautifully. Thanks Cliff for all your work. :)

Gary Nicholls
12-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I had ignition today, wow, that is one hot little flame. Polishes very nice and also will reduce the acrylic to a puddle fast, lol. Also works well for a small silver solder job I had. Thanks again Cliff.

donald bugansky
12-27-2009, 3:41 PM
For clarity,

1) When do you add "special solution" to the main tank (after initial install) versus just adding distilled water? (a.k.a - How do you know when to perform this "special solution" step?)

2) When performing step 1, what do you do? Do you dump what is in the tank and install new or add additional solution? Somewhat confused on proper procedure since this is caustic.

Thanks,

Bugs

Bob Savage
01-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I had subscribed to the original thread, and missed this one so I was not aware they were already shipped. It looks like somehow, my polisher didn't arrive.

Has everybody (except me) received theirs????

Eric Allen
01-04-2010, 1:37 PM
Mine came in, yours shouldn't have been far behind. Seems like ours was the 28th. I asked Cliff for a tracking number, UPS doesn't usually do a great job of getting things to my place, so I sit on shipments coming from them until they either hit my doorstep or show signs of failure. The last time I didn't do that, they sent my stuff back to the manufacturer.....

I had subscribed to the original thread, and missed this one so I was not aware they were already shipped. It looks like somehow, my polisher didn't arrive.

Has everybody (except me) received theirs????

Bob Savage
01-04-2010, 1:40 PM
Mine came in, yours shouldn't have been far behind. Seems like ours was the 28th. I asked Cliff for a tracking number, UPS doesn't usually do a great job of getting things to my place, so I sit on shipments coming from them until they either hit my doorstep or show signs of failure. The last time I didn't do that, they sent my stuff back to the manufacturer.....

Thanks, Eric. I'll hang tight. I know UPS is busy over the holidays... and in my experience, handy at losing track of packages around that time too. :)

Bob Savage
01-06-2010, 2:26 PM
Wife says there's a package on the porch that's too heavy for her to move. Looks like the polisher arrived. :D

Thanks for taking the time to deal with this, Cliff. Much appreciated.

George Brown
01-06-2010, 9:58 PM
Every time I shut off the torch it gives a tiny snap as the flame burns back inside the torch. Well in one case, the snap was not so tiny. Loud snap as the gas burned inside the plastic tubing, a flash of light, followed by a LOUD bang as the flash back arrestor snapped shut. Glad they put that on there otherwise the flame would have gone all the way back to the generator chamber. Hate to hear the bang that would have made! I'm going to try blowing out the flame before turning the gas off from now on.

Bob Savage
01-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Every time I shut off the torch it gives a tiny snap as the flame burns back inside the torch. Well in one case, the snap was not so tiny. Loud snap as the gas burned inside the plastic tubing, a flash of light, followed by a LOUD bang as the flash back arrestor snapped shut. Glad they put that on there otherwise the flame would have gone all the way back to the generator chamber. Hate to hear the bang that would have made! I'm going to try blowing out the flame before turning the gas off from now on.

Has anybody else fired up theirs and had this problem? I have a slight fear of torches anyway, because I've had one give me a nasty pop before, so this worries me a bit.

Frank Corker
01-10-2010, 8:48 AM
Bob, the popping is the flame jumping back into the tube. It's scary but actually not dangerous. Lower the pressure before you light it. It just takes some getting used to. First time it happened to me I had to change my underwear.

George Brown
01-11-2010, 1:13 PM
I have a slight fear of torches anyway

Hey, live dangerously! :D

Bill Cunningham
01-12-2010, 8:40 PM
I guess as long as you don't hear the dreaded whistling noise before the flame blows off the head, or a least a hole in the head of your torch.. I used to have some 'slow' student burn out a Acet. Cutting torch every year from flash backs.. If this thing burns as hot as some say it does, it might be a real possibility!