PDA

View Full Version : Turned another 25 birdhouses and

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 12:45 AM
figured I should show at least a few ;)

Billy Tallant
12-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Looks like you have been busy. The birdhouses look great. I'm partial to the last one on the end. Something about the way that grain lines up, just grabs my attention.

Baxter Smith
12-17-2009, 1:00 AM
25 new already? Must be too cold up there to do anything else!:D
I need to keep your work in mind when I go looking for wood to turn!
Anything has possibilities!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 1:18 AM
Looks like you have been busy. The birdhouses look great. I'm partial to the last one on the end. Something about the way that grain lines up, just grabs my attention.

Thanks Billy :D, yes the last two are Staghorn Sumac crotch, and I did like those grain lines, so I placed them to show from the front, nice for stuff like this, except for the large soft pith, it's pretty hard to make icicles from that stuff :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 1:23 AM
25 new already? Must be too cold up there to do anything else!:D
I need to keep your work in mind when I go looking for wood to turn!
Anything has possibilities!

Yes and a few more, cold ?, what's that :rolleyes::rolleyes:, it's still 21 degrees right now, barely freezing :p :p

Got a few hanging here, they are looking for a new home ;)

Baxter Smith
12-17-2009, 1:30 AM
Amazing! You should be more than ready for the spring migration!

David E Keller
12-17-2009, 7:47 AM
Very nice, Leo. I love the variation in the tops. I can't help but see little heads and faces in many of these birdhouses.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2009, 7:55 AM
Leo - always a pleasure to see your work! Love the variation in woods used and styles! Doesn't matter what a person's tastes are - there is one of these little guys that will be a fit!

Glad to hear it's warm there! It's 4* here but is supposed to really warm up today and push close to 25* - beach weather!!!

John Keeton
12-17-2009, 8:13 AM
Leo, that is quite a collection!! I am fascinated at the creativity that you and others have with the lathe. There is some real uniqueness in your work.

Dan Forman
12-17-2009, 8:51 AM
Leo--- Those are great, some make me think of samurai, the one with the notched roof reminds me of Star Wars, the storm troopers. I love that staghorn sumac. Wonderful variety in this group. I've only managed to make 5 or 6 so far.

Dan

Ken Hensley
12-17-2009, 8:53 AM
Great birdhouses Leo, like the last one the best. I think its the grain that stands out to me as well. Not as cold here thank goodness but stll cold, frosted for the first time of the year that Ive seen and the temp is down to 31.:eek:

Richard Madison
12-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice work Leo. Most impressive that you do so many different styles and materials!

Ted Calver
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Leo...I'm likin' the lichens the best!

Rob Cunningham
12-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Very cool Leo.
Do you hollow them out or just drill the hole in the face?

Grant Wilkinson
12-17-2009, 1:14 PM
Fun stuff, Leo. :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2009, 2:19 PM
Great looking birdhouses Leo. You've been busy.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 4:55 PM
Thanks David :D, yes faces, hut and building rooflines, I have those shapes in my mind and they will be there in those pieces as well as can be done :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 5:31 PM
Leo - always a pleasure to see your work! Love the variation in woods used and styles! Doesn't matter what a person's tastes are - there is one of these little guys that will be a fit!

Glad to hear it's warm there! It's 4* here but is supposed to really warm up today and push close to 25* - beach weather!!!

Thank you Steve :D, they are just small things, but are interesting to most people, there's always room for something small, interesting and inexpensive, I have made quite a few in the last half a dozen years, and they are always gone, but for me the important part is that they are fun to make and not a repetition, there's always room for change :D :D

Yes it is pretty cool at my sons place, a little N.W. of you, night-time lows at -10°F these days, Brrrr :cool:

Leo, that is quite a collection!! I am fascinated at the creativity that you and others have with the lathe. There is some real uniqueness in your work.

Thanks John :D, yes unique is the word, that's what I always try to do, change things, take another look and go at it with different ways and materials, wood is so versatile you can change things so easily :)

Leo--- Those are great, some make me think of samurai, the one with the notched roof reminds me of Star Wars, the storm troopers. I love that staghorn sumac. Wonderful variety in this group. I've only managed to make 5 or 6 so far.

Dan

Thanks Dan :D, yes as I said before these things are what I try to put into there, there are so many shapes and styles of houses, huts, buildings, people, plants, you name it, things you can try to put into them when looking and turning them, they are fun :)

Great birdhouses Leo, like the last one the best. I think its the grain that stands out to me as well. Not as cold here thank goodness but stll cold, frosted for the first time of the year that Ive seen and the temp is down to 31.:eek:

Thank you Ken :D, I try to keep them interesting and different, oh temps are just what you like or don't :eek:, there's ways to enjoy hot or cold :), it is just a mindset IMO, oh and cozy inside here :p :eek:

Harvey Ghesser
12-17-2009, 6:02 PM
Leo....you just gave me a great idea.....some turnings out of the burn pile and back on the lathe for bird houses! The birds will love it!

Great bird houses Leo!:D:D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 6:39 PM
Leo...I'm likin' the lichens the best!

Thank you Ted :D, but you have to handle em carefully :)

Very cool Leo.
Do you hollow them out or just drill the hole in the face?

Hi Rob, thanks :D.
Yes they are hollowed and made light by taking as much as I can out of them, I have a picture here that shows a couple of bodies and roofs that I have ready but not assembled yet, also a couple of walls only the y got a bit too thin :o :o, and rings I cut from some that were too,long so you can see the thickness I usually make them, both roof and body :) :D

Fun stuff, Leo. :)

Thanks Grant :D

Great looking birdhouses Leo. You've been busy.
thank you Bernie :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2009, 6:41 PM
Leo....you just gave me a great idea.....some turnings out of the burn pile and back on the lathe for bird houses! The birds will love it!

Great bird houses Leo!:D:D

Thanks Harvey :D, hope you have fun, take care :)