PDA

View Full Version : small jewelry or tricket box

Stephen Sebed
10-08-2004, 12:59 PM
I am making some small Jewelry or tricket boxes for Christmas gifts and I need some ideas on how to make a plain rectangular box look nicer. I am thinking about 3" by 5" and 2.5" tall, would this be a good size? I haven't decided what type of wood to use yet so maybe a combination of species wood look nice? I appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Also, what other small items can I make for gifts?
I need to find something for my dad.

Thanks,
Stephen

Roger Fitzsimonds
10-08-2004, 1:05 PM
Hi Stephan,

I find that laminating 2 contrasting wood adds to the chracter of a keeosake box. maybe a walnut lig with 2 or 3 maple strips eithe with the grain or diagionaly. it doesnt take much and people seem to really like them.

Good Luck
Roger

Betsy Yocum
10-08-2004, 1:19 PM
I am making some small Jewelry or tricket boxes for Christmas gifts and I need some ideas on how to make a plain rectangular box look nicer. I am thinking about 3" by 5" and 2.5" tall, would this be a good size? I haven't decided what type of wood to use yet so maybe a combination of species wood look nice? I appreciate any suggestions you can give me.
Also, what other small items can I make for gifts?
I need to find something for my dad.

Thanks,
Stephen
Stephen - I've been making small keepsake boxes and I think the Greeks had the formula about perfect. The long side should be 1.62 times the length of the short side. But the real test is what looks good to you. 3x5x2.5 sounds good. I'd stay with 1/2" or 3/8 material for the outside and the lids. Contrasting woods really look nice as it adds "pop" to the looks. Also you have to look at what type of hinge you plan to use and make sure your hinges don't overtake the box itself.

If you do any turning - I know my Dad enjoyed the magnifying glass I turned for him. Turned pens are always a hit as well. And don't forget - Dad's like boxes to. Some of my guy friends prefer boxes without lids so they can throw their pocket contents into them at the end of the day - but I think that's a bit odd - but that's what they got.

Hope that helps.
Betsy

Dave Shaffer
10-08-2004, 1:52 PM
Here is one I did for my FIL out of mahogany and walnut.

http://www.inetpublish.com/myprojects/box1.jpg

http://www.inetpublish.com/myprojects/box3.jpg

Dave Crabbs
10-08-2004, 8:23 PM
Hi Stephen,
You have gotten some good advice already on the keepsake boxes. Contrasting woods would make the box look good. Some other things to consider would be the joinery of the corners such as box joints or dovetails and the way you profile the edge of the top. To me thats what makes a good looking project all the more better. You could veneer some type of burl or exotic wood that would cover the top from molded edge to molded edge. one suggestion would be a walnut sides and top with a elm burl veneered on the top.
As far as Dad goes some of the best time spent with my dad was in the shop. Maybe you could make a keepsake box together.
Just my 2 cents
Dave

Perry Holbrook
10-08-2004, 9:17 PM
Here are 3 small boxes that I sell a lot of. The smaller ones are 2.5 x 2.5 x 2. The taller one is about 4.5" tall. The tops are glass tile that I make which I know you can't make but maybe a wood tile would look good.

Perry

Stephen Sebed
10-11-2004, 5:00 PM
Okay, I have a design in mind now. I will be using combinations of red oak, walnut, cherry, hackberry, and osage orange. The hackberry and osage orange are being used because they were cut down out in our pasture. Any suggestions on combinations for the boxes and what type of finish would you recommend?

Thanks,
Stephen