PDA

View Full Version : Oneida cyclone with an internal filter?

Dave Schreib
12-16-2009, 7:10 PM
I came across this oneida cyclone with a filter that is inside the cyclone body. Kind of like a shop vac set up.

Seems that such a small filter would really kill the airflow. Anybody have any experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290381785603&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Jamie Buxton
12-16-2009, 7:17 PM
They work, and they have a nice small footprint that makes them good for a small shop. With 1 1/2 hp, they are really intended for a small shop. The knock on them is that it is a little involved to get at the filter when it needs cleaning. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often, so shouldn't be a big issue.

If you can really get it for $75, it is a bargain.

Dave Schreib
12-16-2009, 7:19 PM
any possibility of increasing the cfms by converting to an external filter set up?

Wes Grass
12-16-2009, 7:46 PM
Call Oneida and ask. They have conversion kits for some of the older units.

Jamie Buxton
12-16-2009, 7:50 PM
Oneida made a kit to convert those to an external filter. I don't think that it increased the cfm. The cfm is mostly set by the impeller design. The filter doesn't have much to do with it -- unless it gets clogged.

Jim Becker
12-16-2009, 9:49 PM
any possibility of increasing the cfms by converting to an external filter set up?

My original Oneida cyclone was the 1.5hp unit (circa 2000) with the internal filter. Moving to external filter media did increase performance, albeit not a significant amount. The Oneida filter design was pretty efficient, despite being small in filter area as compared to larger, external media. But I'll echo that cleaning the internal filter was a major pain and it did need done more often that one would like. That particular cyclone is still in use in a friend's shop nearby with the external filters and does the job it's asked to do. (I upgraded to an Oneida 2hp Commercial in 2004 which is similar to the current 2-3hp Yellow machines)

Rod Sheridan
12-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I converted mine to an external filter after using the internal one for about 4 years.

It's a messy job cleaning the internal filter, while the external filter is easy to clean, and not messy.

3 years after conversion I'm still using the cyclone, it's a great product.

regards, Rod.

Jim McFarland
12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
I also converted from an internal to external filter because clearing internal filter was a hassle. Oneida FXK010039 conversion kit included a drop-in silencer and whether the silencer, external filter or combination of both..the operating noise level dropped from 80dB down to 72dB (measured using my cheap sound meter) -- significant to my old ears in any case.

Dave Schreib
12-17-2009, 8:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

My plan had been to pick up a HF 2hp unit for $140 and add a thien seperator and Wynn filter for another $150. For a total of about $300. The dc would be placed in the center of the shop with the tools roughly organized around it - mostly on casters. So there would'nt be any duct work just a 10' piece of 6" flex - if the HF will accept it.

Lets assume that I can get this unit off of ebay and the Oneida external filter kit and filter for a 'reasonable cost.'

Given what my set up will be, which would you do?

Rod Sheridan
12-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

My plan had been to pick up a HF 2hp unit for $140 and add a thien seperator and Wynn filter for another $150. For a total of about $300. The dc would be placed in the center of the shop with the tools roughly organized around it - mostly on casters. So there would'nt be any duct work just a 10' piece of 6" flex - if the HF will accept it.

Lets assume that I can get this unit off of ebay and the Oneida external filter kit and filter for a 'reasonable cost.'

Without a doubt, the Oneida.

Regards, Rod.

Dave Schreib
12-17-2009, 3:31 PM
I talked to Oneida. They do make an external filter kit but to make it work on this particular unit I would have to fashion a transition of some sort out of sheet metal or plywood. Looks like the kit is about $300.

Oneida was good enough to e-mail the owners manual on it. The manual has a fan curve that shows that it will only produce 800cfm if I stay below about 3" of static pressure. That doesnt match the curve posted by the seller which shows 800cfm at anything below about 8"sp. That seems like a big difference and I am trying to figure out why.

I looked at that 800 cfm level because it is what Bill P says is needed to move fine dust.

So far Oneida has gone above and beyond in terms of helping me figure out this purchase - which wouldnt be from them. For that, I give them a lot of credit.

Rod Sheridan
12-17-2009, 4:12 PM
I talked to Oneida. They do make an external filter kit but to make it work on this particular unit I would have to fashion a transition of some sort out of sheet metal or plywood. Looks like the kit is about $300.

Oneida was good enough to e-mail the owners manual on it. The manual has a fan curve that shows that it will only produce 800cfm if I stay below about 3" of static pressure. That doesnt match the curve posted by the seller which shows 800cfm at anything below about 8"sp. That seems like a big difference and I am trying to figure out why.

I looked at that 800 cfm level because it is what Bill P says is needed to move fine dust.

So far Oneida has gone above and beyond in terms of helping me figure out this purchase - which wouldnt be from them. For that, I give them a lot of credit.
The difference in fan curves is because the previous owner gave you the wrong curve. I just checked my manual and it's about 800CFM at 3" WC.

When I converted my unit, they supplied the transition for me.

This unit works just fine in a small shop, I use mine with a jointer/planer, table saw, shaper etc and it works great.

I also have an overarm guard for the table saw and I don't have a dust problem in the shop.

Regards, Rod.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
12-17-2009, 7:31 PM
Trust the curve from Oneida....that's not a 800 CFM system like the newer, larger ones. If you optimize using 5" duct work, you'll get good results with a small duct work system, but it's not going to be the best if you have large chip-producing tools, like wide jointer/planers, etc. That's why I upgraded when I bought my J/P, frankly. But it's still a good system in the "right" shop.

Phil Thien
12-17-2009, 9:42 PM

Define "reasonable." Because if you have to pay $300 for the cyclone + $300 for filters, and still have to make the transition yourself, I would hesitate. I've seen newer "used" cyclones go for not much more.

Any chance you can vent outside?

Dave Schreib
12-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Venting outside isnt really an option. It's 9 degrees here in Syracuse and my shop is in our basement. SWMBO would not be ok with 9 degree make up air.

I am a little more leery now because of what seems to be confusion about the cfm rating. Seller says one thing. Oneida initially said another thing, then when presented with some more information about the specific motor, said they "cant find info on the 1.5hp unit with the marathon motor."

The sellers post shows the fan curve and 800 cfm at about 7"sp. Oneida's web site shows the brand new Oneida 1.5hp V system pulling zero cfm at that SP, so ...

If any of the posters who have this unit, have the one with the "marathon motor" I would love to know that.

I am feeling more comfortable with my HF option - just because I know what I will be getting.

Jim Becker
12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Dave, if you're in Syracuse, go in person to the Oneida facility and see what they have in their "scratch and dent" collection...you may be able to save some nice money on a new system or one that's more capable than you originally might have purchased. I drove from SE PA to pick up my 2hp Commercial and got a very nice deal as well as a wonderful tour.

Dave Schreib
12-18-2009, 2:03 PM
Dave, if you're in Syracuse, go in person to the Oneida facility and see what they have in their "scratch and dent" collection...you may be able to save some nice money on a new system or one that's more capable than you originally might have purchased. I drove from SE PA to pick up my 2hp Commercial and got a very nice deal as well as a wonderful tour.

Jim

I have been very impressed with the people that I have dealt with at Oneida, and since they are probably 10 miles from me that's probably where I'll go when I am ready for a new cyclone.

In the meantime, I just stoped at HF and picked up their 2hp unit for $139. I'll add a wynn filter and hopefully that will hold me for a little while until the budget allows for a nice big DC with all that expensive duct work. For now, I think I can arrange my tools so that the HF DC is in the center of them and I should be able to easily move the flex hose from tool to tool.

Any advice on best place to get some flex hose?